Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2018, 01:13:08 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Recent Posts
: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 : Yesterday at 04:19:21 AM 
titoli - titoli
Ustinov's Six Poirots

For a Ustinov fan of course they're all mandatory viewing. Ustinov is not playing Poirot but Ustinov, which is an advantage: the character comes up as sympathetic and sometimes funny, the opposite of what the original Christie's concept. But of course the problem is the screen time devoted to the non Ustinov scenes. In the first two movies the locales and some of the actors manage to save you from boredom, but the following three tv movies, in spite of actors like Dunaway or Curtis, just can't make it. Oddly (or maybe not, as it is a Golan-Globus production), in the last movie (Appointment with Death) though the cast and locales are comparable to those of the first two movies, the screenplay is weak and even Ustinov is a bit dull.   

: August 20, 2018, 12:01:14 PM 
PowerRR - noodles_leone
I wouldn't even know if the film is supposed to be funny. It's weird and fascinating. I laughed many times but I could have screamed, instead. I usually say Les Valseuses is my favorite Blier film, but that one took me by surprise. They're definitely in the same league. Menage is darker than Les Valseuses and way less realistic. It's also less focused on being anti-bourgeois, which makes the rage that one can feel in it less grounded, more vague and probably deeper.

: August 20, 2018, 08:48:29 AM 
PowerRR - dave jenkins
Tenue de Soirée / Menage - 9/10
Second viewing, and I’m starting to think this is the best film by Bertrand Blier. The (very unfortunate) fact that Patrick Dewaere died and they had to replace him instead of going full Les Valseuses happened to be a great thing for the movie: Michel Blanc’s character and his lack of obvious alchemy with Depardieu makes Tenue de Soirée much more interesting.
Some of the best dialogues ever in à French film.
On the negative side of the ledger, the ending drags a tad and Gainsbourg’s OST could have been better.
It's been 40 years since I've seen it and I remember almost nothing about it except I didn't find it funny. But then, I don't find many French films funny. Maybe I would like it better if I saw it again. It would be hard to top Les valseuses, though.

: August 20, 2018, 05:29:30 AM 
greenbudgie - greenbudgie
                                                                    THE LAST MAN TO HANG (1956). Rated 7/10.

Sir Roderick Strood stands trial for the murder of his wife. He is played by Tom Conway who had been the title character in some of the 1940s Falcon detective film series. The jury scenes are now reminiscent of '12 Angry Men' (1957). The most important feature of this film is to show how much argument there was in the UK in the 1950s. The argument about whether hanging should continue after some iffy verdicts in murder trials in that decade.

The best acting is by Elizabeth Sellars as the weakly-looking wife. She contributed to many good moments in UK crime films of the 1950s.

: August 20, 2018, 12:09:46 AM 
PowerRR - noodles_leone
Tenue de Soirée / Menage - 9/10
Second viewing, and I’m starting to think this is the best film by Bertrand Blier. The (very unfortunate) fact that Patrick Dewaere died and they had to replace him instead of going full Les Valseuses happened to be a great thing for the movie: Michel Blanc’s character and his lack of obvious alchemy with Depardieu makes Tenue de Soirée much more interesting.
Some of the best dialogues ever in à French film.
On the negative side of the ledger, the ending drags a tad and Gainsbourg’s OST could have been better.

: August 19, 2018, 12:27:45 PM 
mike siegel - drinkanddestroy
After #MeToo, Kevin Spacey movie ‘Billionaire Boys Club’ earns $126 on opening day

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/08/19/after-metoo-kevin-spacey-movie-billionaire-boys-club-earns-126-on-opening-day/?utm_term=.8b68fac69f22

: August 17, 2018, 05:28:11 PM 
titoli - titoli
I have just now learned that her "husband" in The Blues Brothers, the great guitar player Matt Murphy, died exactly 2 months ago. RIP

: August 17, 2018, 03:17:05 AM 
cigar joe - greenbudgie
Great pics as usual with your review CJ. I absolutely worship Gloria Grahame so I hope I'm not overselling this by giving it a 9/10 rating on IMDb because of that fact. She looks different in every movie to me and I loved her Latin look in this. I was fascinated the moment that she made her nervous sex-kitten entrance to sing in the bar. And her shimmy, shimmy, shimmy  was great.

I think is the best Gene Barry performance I've  seen to date and perhaps he deserved better roles on the strength of this. His ambiguous, sleaze-ball/clean-cut character was so different and took me by surprise and he's looking good in this too.

I enjoyed unpicking the complicated and unpredictable plot. I felt I was being toyed with by the film and I enjoyed every moment of being taken for that ride.

: August 17, 2018, 03:01:32 AM 
titoli - greenbudgie
I said "Oh no! when I heard the news of Aretha Franklin. Then the next moment I was bopping around to 'Respect,' the most exciting pop record ever made I reckon.

: August 17, 2018, 02:59:31 AM 
greenbudgie - greenbudgie
                                                                        NAKED ALIBI (1954). Rated 9/10.

I'm putting my comments on this film on it's individual page found on the Noir Index. This is an underrated movie in my opinion.

: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines