Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 06:37:50 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Recent Posts
: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 : Today at 07:04:27 AM 
PowerRR - dave jenkins
Parker (2013) 6/10. Statham: same-o, same-o. J-Lo: even at her advanced age, oddly appealing. The Bald Guy from The Shield: Meh, not so much. With Patti Lupone as J-Lo's mom, and Bobby Cannavale (the reigning Prince of Broadway) as chopped liver. Oh yeah, there's an undead Nick Nolte wandering around somewhere in this too. OMG, I just watched a Taylor Hackford film!
I'm upping this to a "7" or maybe even an "8." Loved the stunts and practical effects with no CGI enhancement. Action scenes are edited well enough that you don't lose track of what's going on (a rare thing these days).  The knife-scene-in-the-condo-with-the-balcony is worth (as they say) the price of admission alone.

: Today at 01:40:49 AM 
titoli - titoli
L'emmerdeur (1973) I didn't remember it was such a good comedy, probably because I had seen it dubbed. And a great direction: see the masterful sequences shot in the narrow two hotel rooms. Ventura is simply huge, I can't remember Matthau in the remake, but Matthau can't play a killer (he could at the start of his career, but not later)  while Ventura is completely at ease here. Castelnuovo is very good and I didn't remember Gammino was in it. The running lenght is 81': perfect, there's not a single moment of respite. I give it 9/10 only because of Brel's not so persuasive performance.

: Today at 01:06:12 AM 
PowerRR - drinkanddestroy
What made you finish this one?

Good question

Maybe the cast, maybe the high rating on IMDB, or maybe I was hoping to see them sink like Titanic.

: Today at 12:43:44 AM 
PowerRR - noodles_leone
I virtually never rate a movie below a 5/10, cuz if it's that bad, I'll usually shut it off in middle, and I never give a rating for a movie I haven't finished  ;)

What made you finish this one?

: Yesterday at 05:02:00 PM 
PowerRR - drinkanddestroy

Your rating is still ridiculous, objectively false and impossible to defend. But iím happy to see use a rating under 5 for once! It helps take your regular rating more seriously :p

I virtually never rate a movie below a 5/10, cuz if it's that bad, I'll usually shut it off in middle, and I never give a rating for a movie I haven't finished  ;)

: Yesterday at 09:28:06 AM 
PowerRR - dave jenkins
On a bit of a Jim Jarmusch jag just now.

Broken Flowers (2005) - 7/10.  Essentially a remake of Un carnet de bal (1937), although in Duvivier's original it's a woman who tracks down her old flames (and there are more of them). I do like the way Jarmusch updated the concept and made it his own. I disagree with noodles_leone about the fact the film is unfinished. If by that he means Jarmusch could have put more into it, well--I think Jarmusch made exactly the film he set out to make. The "unfinished" quality, if that's what you want to call it, is intentional.

I still like the film a lot, although Paterson is now my favorite Jarmusch.

: Yesterday at 07:47:21 AM 
PowerRR - moorman
Sunrise. A Song of Two Humans (1927)   FANTASTIC film.  Stands up to its reputation.  10 out of 10...

: Yesterday at 07:32:47 AM 
PowerRR - PowerRR
Really? Have you seen The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?
I'm watching At Eterny's Gate on Friday. It's on Netflix here.
Yeah, but I also didn't like Diving Bell, so you may be in luck. Diving Bell was a bit better though.

: Yesterday at 02:32:46 AM 
PowerRR - stanton
Isn't Ben Hur that horses movie that Sergio Leone single handedly wrote, directed and performed without any crew, actor or stuntman?

Maybe, at least it was the film from which Leone got the idea to try to cast William Shatner for every role in GBU.

: Yesterday at 02:16:11 AM 
PowerRR - noodles_leone
No Oscar winners are worse than Ben Hur and Ghandi ...

Tom Jones was fun to watch of course.

Isn't Ben Hur that horses movie that Sergio Leone single handedly wrote, directed and performed without any crew, actor or stuntman?

: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines