Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Recent Posts
: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 : Today at 07:23:49 PM 
drinkanddestroy - drinkanddestroy
Jacques Becker retro begins at FF 2 weeks from today. I'm skipping all the stuff that's already out on disc and going for the rarer, more difficult to see stuff, as in, "Dernier Atout (1942), the first film to bear the words Un film de Jacques Becker. Goupi Mains Rouges (1943), a mystery, set in rural France, that has achieved cult status in France. One of Becker's most fascinating films is the rare Falbalas (1944). . . ."

Be in touch, Ill go to evening shows if we can work it out. Dramas only, please 😉

: Today at 10:43:22 AM 
drinkanddestroy - dave jenkins
I recall Eddier Muller once saying something like: In the 1940s, noir was about the cinematography; in the 1950s, it was more about the locations.
OMG! I just realized, Eddie is your new Ebert!

: Today at 10:40:38 AM 
drinkanddestroy - dave jenkins
Jacques Becker retro begins at FF 2 weeks from today. I'm skipping all the stuff that's already out on disc and going for the rarer, more difficult to see stuff, as in, "Dernier Atout (1942), the first film to bear the words Un film de Jacques Becker. Goupi Mains Rouges (1943), a mystery, set in rural France, that has achieved cult status in France. One of Becker's most fascinating films is the rare Falbalas (1944). . . ."

: Yesterday at 04:00:48 PM 
drinkanddestroy - moorman
I can't do this one.  Cobb's character KNOWS his girlfriend offed her husband and he stands by and watches his brother investigate the case?   The premise is not good here..

: Yesterday at 02:30:52 PM 
titoli - titoli
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) A half of it is a noir and, at the same time, a reflection about it. The other half is the usual Allen's boring crap. 7/10

: Yesterday at 07:37:04 AM 
cigar joe - dave jenkins
So, you were right, DJ - the mail to Westchester was indeed faster than the mail to New York but I ended up getting mine for free ;-)
Well, then, good move!

: Yesterday at 07:34:29 AM 
PowerRR - dave jenkins
Congratulations! (Now I guess you're going to actually collect my pledge . . . )

: Yesterday at 06:25:53 AM 
PowerRR - PowerRR
The goal has been reached! thank you SLWB-ers!

now time to get to work.

bye now!

: July 16, 2018, 07:44:00 PM 
cigar joe - drinkanddestroy
My boxset took forever to come. Amazon.co.uk mailed it with Royal Mail, no tracking, so there was no way for me to know what was going on with the package. Finally, well after the date it was supposed to arrive, I requested and received a refund. This was several weeks ago. Well the package just arrived yesterday. I emailed Amazon and they told me to just keep it. So, you were right, DJ - the mail to Westchester was indeed faster than the mail to New York but I ended up getting mine for free ;-)

I watched the 20-minute Frayling piece. He is great, as always.

: July 16, 2018, 05:37:01 PM 
moorman - moorman
Roderick Raskolnikov, Peter Lorre, graduates from a Russian University with honors. He is a hailed as a authority on crime.  His mother and sister come to visit him for his graduation.  When he later learns they are coming to visit him at his apartment he attempts to hide his poverty by pawning a heirloom watch he received at his graduation.  At the pawn shop he meets a poor woman named Sonya (Marian Marsh) attempting to pawn her Bible.  The pawnbroker is a real you know what and agrees to give her 6 rubles for the Bible, then only gives her 1 citing that Sonya owes her for other pawn items.  The pawnbroker then pushes Sonya out of her shop after Sonya accepts the ruble.   Roderick is looking at this with distain for the pawnbroker. He pawns his watch and finds Sonya outside looking for her ruble that she dropped when pushed out of the shop.

From there, the plot takes a turn and keeps you engaged all the way through to the finale. I'm not gonna give anymore about the plot.  The director, Joseph Von Sternberg,  disliked the film and only did it for contractual reasons.  Peter Lorre wanted the film made and it is he who carries this film and makes it actually a pretty good film.   I rank it a solid 7.5 out of 10... Here is a excellent review for the film:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2004/cteq/crime_and_punishment/

: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines