Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 06:21:41 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Recent Posts
: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 : Today at 02:40:52 AM 
noodles_leone - cigar joe
No nice!

: Today at 01:31:19 AM 
noodles_leone - noodles_leone
I don't know if you guys ever saw these ones:

: Yesterday at 07:31:38 PM 
titoli - moorman
A excellent film. Almost a masterpiece.  I just found another reason to love Charles Laughton after seeing this film.  This is another underrated Noir.  The acting and cinematography really shine here. I didn't like the ending but it didn't  detract from the film.  I rank this a solid 8 out of 10.

: April 22, 2018, 02:46:13 PM 
drinkanddestroy - drinkanddestroy
Well why would you mix a discussion of pollution with a discussion of global warming?

The climate ALARMISTS have been referring to greenhouse-gas emissions as "pollution," as if that will settle the debate - after all, who wouldn't be against "pollution"? Pollution is certainly bad, but nothing to do with greenhouse-gas emissions, whether or not you believe in global warming.

We have been freezing our asses off all across the U.S. this winter. It's April 22 and the high temps have never broken out of the very low 60's. Many days have been colder, and nights have been damn near freezing. The leftist response is that it's not "global warming" anymore, it's "climate change." When they were calling it "global warming," at least you could argue over the date; now that they've retreated and are calling it "climate change," it's an argument that can't even be dealt with.

------------------------------------------

My only complaint about global warming is that there's not enough of it. Here is a great op-ed http://www.jeffjacoby.com/20620/the-blessings-of-climate-change I'll cite a few paragraphs of it

In the church of climate alarmism, there may be no heresy more dangerous than the idea that the world will benefit from warming. Zealous preachers seek to scare their flock with forecasts of catastrophe, horror, and threats to civilization. Anyone who demurs is denounced as an apostate: an anti-science "denier."

But the truth — the inconvenient truth, to coin a phrase — is that while climate change brings negatives, it brings positives too. Polar melting may cause dislocation for those who live in low-lying coastal areas, but it will also lead to safe commercial shipping in formerly inhospitable northern seas, and to economic opportunity for high-latitude residents in places like Point Hope.

Shifts in climate are like shifts in the economy: They invariably spell good news for some and bad news for others. Falling interest rates are a blessing to homebuyers but a curse to savers; a strong dollar helps consumers buying imports but hinders exporters selling abroad. In the same way, changes in climate generate winners and losers. Some of global warming's effects will be disagreeable; others will be very welcome.

Worldwide, cold kills 20 times as many people as heat, so a warming planet will save lives. A plethora of data confirms the greater deadliness of cold weather, even in countries with very different climate patterns. One study of mortality rates, for example, found that deaths from cold outnumbered those from heat by a ratio of 33-to-2 in Australia, and 61-to-3 in Britain. Of 2,000 weather-related deaths in America tallied by the Centers for Disease Control, 63 percent were caused by excessive cold vs. 31 percent caused by excessive heat.

A warming planet will also be a greener planet. Is a greener planet. Rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have already led to "persistent and widespread increase" in leaf cover — i.e., greening — across as much as half of the world's vegetated regions, according to a study published in Nature last year.

: April 22, 2018, 10:35:29 AM 
drinkanddestroy - cigar joe
CJ wrote that it "wasn't the climate"  ^-^

Different issues, same scientific consensus. Even the NASA is on board. Only the (few) scientists that are paid by the fossil fuel and industrial lobbies disagree. The very fact that the thing isn't a debate anymore everywhere else in the world should at least make you guys rethink the issue.

PS: solar panel and wind turbines industries aren't that powerful as a lobby.

O0 O0 O0

: April 22, 2018, 08:54:15 AM 
drinkanddestroy - noodles_leone
CJ wrote that it "wasn't the climate"  ^-^

Different issues, same scientific consensus. Even the NASA is on board. Only the (few) scientists that are paid by the fossil fuel and industrial lobbies disagree. The very fact that the thing isn't a debate anymore everywhere else in the world should at least make you guys rethink the issue.

PS: solar panel and wind turbines industries aren't that powerful as a lobby.

: April 22, 2018, 02:31:41 AM 
kjrwe - greenbudgie
I reckon that the Miss Fisher series is excellent too. Interesting characters. A good sense of the 1920s styles, clothes and music all combine to make it seem authentic. 9/10.

Another Australian whodunit series I've seen is 'Mr and Mrs Murder.' They're cleaners who are always coming across murders. A young niece tags along and usually gets the vital clue before the adults. Fair stuff which I wouldn't mind watching again. 6/10.

: April 22, 2018, 01:52:30 AM 
PowerRR - noodles_leone
I still don’t get how someone with at least half a brain can rank Argo and Crash so close. And Slumdog Millionaire should be forgotten by everybody. For the most part, though, your list makes sense.

: April 22, 2018, 12:22:46 AM 
Leone Admirer - drinkanddestroy
We've previously mentioned that T-Men, Raw Deal, and He Walked by Night have recently been released on BRD.

If you want to spend less money, and just want the films and not the bonus features, all three movies are now available on a single BRD for $19.98 https://www.amazon.com/John-Alton-Film-Noir-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B079FLRGN4?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-028-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079FLRGN4&m=

: April 22, 2018, 12:22:16 AM 
Leone Admirer - drinkanddestroy
Eddie Muller podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0oeAzHPHg

: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines