Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:34:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  informations about OUTIA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: informations about OUTIA  (Read 3370 times)
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2003, 02:52:41 AM »

Some informations picked-up from a Leone Interview  published in 1984 in "Les Cahiers du Cinéma" about OUATIA: (I could develop every point if you need., even I am sure you already
know all these points from other books and interviews)

1°  The bridge is Williamsburg Bridge.
      2° Fat Moe restaurant and the small street behind were built twice : once in NY " for the exteriors and other one  in Roma for interiors scenes.,all  Opium smokery scenes  was realized in Cinecitta.The large avenue was choosen in a Latino part of NY. Some scenes are made in Paris (France) at the Julien Brasserie.
      3° Many outside scenes: kids on the boats ,  friends corpses on the street, at the hospital were done in Montreal (Canada) " which look like NY at the beginning of the century"
      4° Sergio registered a 4h and 30 minutes opus for two films but was obliged to cut 50 minutes. So he kept a 3h and 40 minutes for final cut and only one film .But Studios wanted 3 h maximum He launched a procedure against the Studios.
 Sergio said "may be you should see the whole version at the TV"
      5° He really hates  the power of  Studio deciders: He said " but the war is lost , everybody looses this war even Lucas who accept time-limits .
      6° He recognizes the very important involving of De Niro and appreciates very much his help.
       7° According to  him , De Niro changes the initial project which was three different actors for each period: but de Niro absolutely would play noodles as man and also as old man.
   Sergio had imagined before Tom Beranger and Paul Newman for each character  
       8 °He met Scorcese  who told him "I see OUATIW every day " .He met students from Movie  UCLA schools and was surprised because his films were very seriously studied."plan by plan"
        9° The original text was first wrote by an Italian, after translated in english and then corrected by Stuart Kaminsky for "the American Jewish Touch" and re translated  in Italian
       10 ° Sergio and Robert hired the make-up responsible of Elephant Man Christopher Tucker . But the result was not good and he has been fired with 150 000$.  
        11°Syndicate leader model is Jimmy Hoffa ....
        12°  50 minutes missing scenes are:  ,Debra playing Cleopatra , a love scene between Noodles and Debra young girl, meetings with Eve(Darlanne Fluegel)  , meeting with a woman Director of  the Cementery  ( Louise Flechter fully supressed) ,a conversation between noodles and the car driver after the rape scene...
        13°Budget "on the line" without Sergio ans Stars salary was 15 M$. It was an incentive target for Sergio.
         14° He said that De Niro is and actor and Clint is a Star (.. With reduced expressions).Same comments about Bronson and Jason Robard (a marvellous actor)  
  For him  Clint is a wise guy ("c'est un malin.."), "man from high plains was not so bad".

..... To be followed if you wish

Others items: E Mac Govern/ my film is not The Godfather/ I refused to realize Carmen, Roy Beans and "Even  horses was killed"  /I don't like Blade Runner , Alien, Lucas movies/ Play with music is like cocaine, Fonda and De Niro were addicts  .../ Trinita revenges the spectators for 500 bad  movies coming after FAFOD ../ you know I began making Opera movies with Carmine Gallone/

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 03:23:09 AM »

7° According to  him , De Niro changes the initial project which was three different actors for each period: but de Niro absolutely would play noodles as man and also as old man. Sergio had imagined before Tom Beranger and Paul Newman for each character  

Others items: Play with music is like cocaine, Fonda and De Niro were addicts  

wow, wow, WOW
many of the above info I knew, some I did not...
7) thanks THANKS god he did not pick up Berenger and Newman - well, I like Newman of course, but once you see the aged De Niro coming back in the railway station and 'Yesterday' starts, you are HAPPY it's De Niro acting, aren't you?

More to follow if we wish....Huh
Are you joking? Wink Smiley Wink
I can't speak on behalf of all the visitors here, but of course I wish, so please bring in some more, unless you find that interview on-line and notify us the link... Wink

"Play with music is like cocaine, Fonda and De Niro were addicts". Would you please elaborate that? Thanks in advance... Smiley

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 04:42:35 AM »

DITTO!!!!

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 02:02:14 AM »

I agree with you ,OUATIA without De Niro it's unbelievable.
  Paul Newman could have been  a  big mistcasting. Who knows ? worst than Rod Steiger ( a great actor too) playing a poor and hungried Mexican ?

More serious .
About Music :

Q: How was taken the movie sound ?

A:  All was in direct sound, with Jean-Pierre Ruh, who has had an oscar with TESS.But we had to post-synchronized somes scenes because sometimes I try a plan with music . So the actors  who trained with music preferred to play definitively with it and post-synchro because music gives a peculiar atmosphere.People told me that Kubrick also did it for Barry Lindon.  I always make the music composed before and I register only the theme with some instruments not a whole orchestra.
I make that for many reasons: create atmosphere, help to obtain silence and concentration , and also this helps the machinist-chief to find the right suavity to make his travellings, like a feedle. And normaly after we shoot in direct sound, stopping music.
 Many times , actors like Fonda for example who first began to laugh about this way , get use to the music and ask it to play: its like cocaïne , they are terribly addicted. Many times De Niro refused to cut the music.    

Q: The movie was annouced in Dolby stereo ..

A:  Yes it was planned but finally we did'nt mix in Dolby, it was not usefull for an intimist film like this.

About De Niro:

Q: Is De Niro liked by US spectators ?:
A: No, US public prefers typed , stereotyped actors as John Wayne or JP Belmondo in France.
...  De Niro is a "cameleon" in the cinema and in the life. On tuesday he is not the same guy than on monday .

Q: for you,  the shooting is always an happy moment ?
A: Yes; and much more during this film. Normally I know all about my film arriving in the set
 But de Niro , it's impossible to drive him with marks and signs.We must to let him free, just following him with a camera.It was for me a new experience et a daily surprise.He gave me much  enthusiastic. And also a possibility of distance: I have not had to know a day before what I should have to do the day after.      

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM