Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 11:05:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leones influence on Eastwood as a director
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leones influence on Eastwood as a director  (Read 1783 times)
anbeck
Road Apple

Steppenwolf

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2004, 03:10:15 PM »

Hi there,

I just watched the first minutes of "Outlaw Josey Wales" and I'm really disappointed, as with every western Eastwood participated in/directed after GBU and .

Didn't he learn anything by Leone?? The beginning scene is a poor imitation of the similar scene in OUATITW, but it lacks characterization, doesn't establish a mood beforehand, and so completely fails to move the viewer. This is especially disappointing as the scene is the hook to the whole movie.

All the shots are dark, they lack ideas and beauty. The riding shots during the credits at the beginning seemed to me as a "westernized" version of a 1950's "King Arthur & Lancelot"-movie, as "Knights of the Round Table".

And this Yankee-Doodle-ish theme is awful!

And why is "Unforgiven" dedicated to Leone? It's the Anti-Thesis to OUATITW: It's dark, it misses all the mysticism and Leone's cinematography. The characters are un-Leonesque and, for God's sake, I don't want to see any more movies in which Eastwood practices shooting!

Has Leone ever said something about the Eastwood films, as Josey Wales, for instance?

And what is your opinion?

Thanks!
Andre

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 10:29:09 PM »

Hi anbeck

I did a little critique of the same subject a while back

Check it out:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=148

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Christopher
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 08:28:25 AM »

Did you only watch the first few minutes of Josey Wales, anbeck?

And why should Eastwood mimick Leone's style? It was Leone's style! Wink

Eastwood is his own filmmaker.

And why is "Unforgiven" dedicated to Leone? It's the Anti-Thesis to OUATITW: It's dark, it misses all the mysticism and Leone's cinematography. The characters are un-Leonesque and, for God's sake, I don't want to see any more movies in which Eastwood practices shooting!
That could have been more on a personal note, considering he dedicated it to Don Siegel too (both his mentors).

When I think of the myth of the western, I think of Leone's films, and Leone's myth wasn't really traditional. I've always thought he did more with the western than most American filmmakers. Indeed, Unforgiven deconstructs all the myths of the western. But it's still a masterpiece. Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM