Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:09:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How are the interiors in Mini Hollywood?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How are the interiors in Mini Hollywood?  (Read 7470 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »

On the dvd commentary to FAFDM, Frayling says that the interiors in the El Paso scenes were actually shot inside those very buildings in the El Paso set (unlike other Leone films, where interiors were often shot in Cinecitta Studios in Rome).

I have not visited the El Paso set (now called "Mini Hollywood"), but I have looked through many pictures from people who have (eg. on the Sergio Leone Places of Memory site) and I have only seen photos of the exteriors of the town.

So I am just wondering if anyone knows how the interiors look today? Is it really as it was in the film? Eg. if you walk into  the saloon, Manco's or Mortimer's hotel, the bank etc., does it look on the inside just as we see them in the movie?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:58:01 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:47 AM »

That is a good question. I have noticed that one of the links to the "then & now locations" does show some interiors, I particularly remember the interior of the Stevens hacienda, and the interior of the "little house" as being actual interiors.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »

That is a good question. I have noticed that one of the links to the "then & now locations" does show some interiors, I particularly remember the interior of the Stevens hacienda, and the interior of the "little house" as being actual interiors.

yeah but that is from FOD. I am wondering about the "El Paso" set from FAFDM

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »

Actually Steven's hacienda is from GBU  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »

Actually Steven's hacienda is from GBU  Cool

1. yeah, I know (courtesy of Frayling, of course!) that the adobe homes seen in "San Miguel" in FOD & "Agua Caliente" in FAFDM were real houses in Spain (and I know from "then and now" pictures that the "small house" from FOD is still being used as a regular home). I do not recall whether the Stevens Hacienda from GBU was a regular home as well, and whether or not it is still in use.

2. But I would really love to know how the interiors at Mini Hollywood look. I mean,  wouldn't it just be incredible if eg. we could walk inside the saloon building and actually be in the very El Paso saloon as shot in the movie! or walk into the hotels and actually be in Manco's or Mortimer's hotel room? That would be so amazing, I don't know if I could handle it! I am just absolutely in love with the El Paso set from FAFDM. Has anyone here been to Mini Hollywood and can answer that question for me please? (I know I am pretty much repeating my initial question on this thread, but I am hoping that by bumping it up perhaps someone who was there can answer me  Wink)

3. I believe Frayling has said that the "Tucumcari" set from FAFDM was actually the same as the "San Miguel" set from FOD; and that the "White Rocks" set from FAFDM was actually the same as the El Paso set. can anyone confirm this?

4. RE: OUATITW: Were the interior scenes of Jill's home actually built and shot inside that building that we know as the McBain home, or were they shot separately in a studio?

I hope I can take a trip to Spain and go see for myself, sooner rather than later. In the meantime, perhaps I will settle for a visit this summer to the OUATIA locations right here in my backyard in New York; it's a bit cheaper ($2.25 vs. $1,500) and closer (5 miles vs. 3500 miles)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:39:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:07:27 AM »

I hope I can take a trip to Spain and go see for myself, sooner rather than later. In the meantime, perhaps I will settle for a visit this summer to the OUATIA locations right here in my backyard in New York; it's a bit cheaper ($2.25 vs. $1,500) and closer (5 miles vs. 3500 miles)

Well DJ & I still have to finish our location tour on Metro NY, we got most of the Williamsburg and DUMBo locations, still have to do Weehawken and Long Island City. We could do it all as a group, but I'm sure we'll hit McSorely's again. lol.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »

No doubt. I am living in Brooklyn now, and would definitely love to tour the OUATIA locations with people who know what they're talking about. Definitely lemme know  Afro

johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »

In answer to your question The saloon in For a few dollars interior is the same .give or take a bit of decoration.......The bar ,the stairs are still there but now have been updated with modern decor

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »

In answer to your question The saloon in For a few dollars interior is the same .give or take a bit of decoration.......The bar ,the stairs are still there but now have been updated with modern decor

Thanks!!! that is really cool. I look forward to visiting one day  Smiley

Smokey
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

I believe I saw something that said the "Stevens Hacienda" had reverted to a pig barn which it was before it was made into a hacienda.

johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »

Thanks!!! that is really cool. I look forward to visiting one day  Smiley
You will instantly recognise it......The Bank is till there  as well.As are one or two other buildings.........Decor and painting is bad though....Should have kept in original state........Building opposite where Manco views Mortimer through Binoculars is ther as well.....Worth a visit but very much for the Tourist

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »

You will instantly recognise it......The Bank is till there  as well.As are one or two other buildings.........Decor and painting is bad though....Should have kept in original state........Building opposite where Manco views Mortimer through Binoculars is ther as well.....Worth a visit but very much for the Tourist

I have seen lots of pictures of the town in the present day (eg. on the Sergio Leone: Places of Memory site), but all those pictures only show the outside of the buildings. I have not seen any pictures of the interiors in the present day.

While the exteriors of the buildings have been changed somewhat over the years, I definitely still recognize them.

What do you mean when you say "the Bank is still there as well. As are one or two other buildings"? Are you saying there are only 2 or 3 buildings still standing from when FAFDM was show, and all the other buildings are gone? I was under the impression that while the buildings have been changed somewhat., the whole original FAFDM set was still standing. Am I wrong?

Regis
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »

Hi,

On the web site "Places of memory", I publish only places I am sure of. In Mini Hollywood, the interiors are disappointing. There are not what you are expecting. Either they have been completely transformed or the decor were set in another place (Italy probably).
Another point is that many other films were shot in Mini Hollywood. They may have modified the interiors.
I was not allowed to enter other places.

Here is some pictures of the interiors now (where one can believes the films were shot):

The bank counter :
https://picasaweb.google.com/RegisCluseau/ElPaso#5648127733879816370

The bar :
https://picasaweb.google.com/RegisCluseau/ElPaso#5648127766912467954

Clint's hotel counter (behind a glass panel; there is no access) :
https://picasaweb.google.com/RegisCluseau/ElPaso#5648127806744314386

Clint's hotel staircase (behind a glass panel; there is no access) :
https://picasaweb.google.com/RegisCluseau/ElPaso#5648127843438408514

The interior of the bank is a kind of museum for the cinema. On can see very old film projectors, posters ...

Regards,
Régis

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:03:28 AM by Regis » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »

Thanks  Afro Afro Afro

Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »

The GBU farmhouse interior was shot at Cortijo de la Hoya Altica, about 1.5 km from Retamar (which is west of the location). The location has always been used for housing animals - in the film, you can see the food troughs in the background. About 3 km east of the cortijo is the Centro de visitantes las Amolaaderas - near where the GBU desert scenes were shot, with the Sierra del Cabo de Gata in the background.

The interiors of FAFDM are a bit tricky. There are a few stills in the extended FAFDM DVD (UA-MGM) showing (from memory) Leone, Lee Van Cleef, Eastwood, another guy and a woman in a long  leather coat all sitting around in a large room. If you look at the chair legs, you can read CINECITTA (written vertically). I have the full-res stills (from 6 x 6 cm negatives), and it may not be possible to read CINECITTA on the DVD (I haven't tried). There is another still showing Leone demonstrating something to Lee Van Cleef, in the room where Colonel Mortimer inspects his small arms arsenal. Leone and the woman have exactly the same clothing as in the other still, indicating that the scene was shot at Cinecitta, Rome. As far as I am aware, Cinecitta was not used for the GBU.

MiniHollywood is a big disaster. The saloon exterior and groundfloor are intact, but, like everyone else, I haven't been upstairs. The interior of El Paso bank is some sort of museum - old cameras and common film posters etc. It was a very disappointing experience to visit MiniHollywood. I hardly took any photos. Much better are the big landscape scenes, which look just the same today as in 1964-1966.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM