Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Score (2001)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Score (2001)  (Read 3081 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227445/

The Score (2001) - 6.5 to 7/10

Empty, but the performances are good.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:29:59 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »

The Score (2001)  My favourite recent De Niro, more than Heat, The final dialogue between him and Norton is perfect: one of the best finale in action movies. I give it 8\10 because sets and photography are not on the same level as plot and players.   

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:19:03 AM »

The Score (2001)  My favourite recent De Niro, more than Heat, The final dialogue between him and Norton is perfect: one of the best finale in action movies. I give it 8\10 because sets and photography are not on the same level as plot and players.  

Though I agree with you - it's a nice movie to watch, as I've written - but it's really empty.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »

Though I agree with you - it's a nice movie to watch, as I've written - but it's really empty.

It's an action movie, what else do you want?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »

Terminator 2. At least, that's what I would want if I were him.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:16:54 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »

Terminator 2. At least, that's what I would want if I were him.

I.e.: more action?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »

Life.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:50 AM »

I.e.: more action?
Believable characters that you care for.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »

Believable characters that you care for.

Yep.

www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »

So you find "life" and "believable characters" in T2?  Grin

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »

I didn't mention T2. Cheesy

Anyway, the characters are lifeless, there isn't a single thing to them besides the job. Yeah, Nickie apparently has a bar of some sort, but it doesn't make any sense; with all the job he's seeing through he doesn't even have the money to buy himself a small bar? I remember the explanation was he spends most of what he earns on the gadgets for the next job - Nick must be the luckiest bastard in the world for never getting caught. Being dependent on so many people for help is very risky, very very risky for a pro such as Nickie. On the top of that, I remember he didn't even know for how much Max sells the loot? Now that's a professional right there. I don't think there's the need to mention that little computer freak, and the big bad guy, they're just plain silly. And Max, I see no reason why a successful pro like Nick would even have to know someone like Max, though I suspect the explanation for that is that they're friends, old friends, lol.

The score they're scoring is devoid of any passion, they seem to be doing everything by the books, by the rules, after all there's Nick the professional. I don't think the ''action'' is missing. No, the action's there alright, but there's no detectable charm and passion, no momentum, it all seems dry. The twist in the ending is great, I concord, and Norton's good in his role, though yet again, the logic seems missing. Did Jack just decide one day he was gonna become a thief? And what if he did take the scepter for himself, and outsmarted poor Nickie, everybody from work would still remember his face. It wouldn't necessarily take them too long to put two and two together.

But that's all still of minor concern to me, the logic angles. As I've said already written, with these heist flicks - there is no logic, because they're impossible (or nearly impossible) to pull off in real life, therefore discussing what seems logical to us simple folks is just nonsense all around. We know shit, apparantly even less than the characters do, lol.

Still, I can understand someone liked this one, and why, I myself didn't have a hard time, but, for reasons stated above, I don't think I'd go above a 7/10.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:32 AM »

Can't find my short review now... Angry

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:38 AM »

I didn't mention T2. Cheesy

Anyway, the characters are lifeless, there isn't a single thing to them besides the job. Yeah, Nickie apparently has a bar of some sort, but it doesn't make any sense; with all the job he's seeing through he doesn't even have the money to buy himself a small bar? I remember the explanation was he spends most of what he earns on the gadgets for the next job - Nick must be the luckiest bastard in the world for never getting caught. Being dependent on so many people for help is very risky, very very risky for a pro such as Nickie. On the top of that, I remember he didn't even know for how much Max sells the loot? Now that's a professional right there. I don't think there's the need to mention that little computer freak, and the big bad guy, they're just plain silly. And Max, I see no reason why a successful pro like Nick would even have to know someone like Max, though I suspect the explanation for that is that they're friends, old friends, lol.

The score they're scoring is devoid of any passion, they seem to be doing everything by the books, by the rules, after all there's Nick the professional. I don't think the ''action'' is missing. No, the action's there alright, but there's no detectable charm and passion, no momentum, it all seems dry. The twist in the ending is great, I concord, and Norton's good in his role, though yet again, the logic seems missing. Did Jack just decide one day he was gonna become a thief? And what if he did take the scepter for himself, and outsmarted poor Nickie, everybody from work would still remember his face. It wouldn't necessarily take them too long to put two and two together.

But that's all still of minor concern to me, the logic angles. As I've said already written, with these heist flicks - there is no logic, because they're impossible (or nearly impossible) to pull off in real life, therefore discussing what seems logical to us simple folks is just nonsense all around. We know shit, apparantly even less than the characters do, lol.

Still, I can understand someone liked this one, and why, I myself didn't have a hard time, but, for reasons stated above, I don't think I'd go above a 7/10.

I never said this was a perfect novie but, I tell you, I never could stand action movies  with policemen or burglars sick with life and family troubles: which, usually, are just a way to fill up the movie, give it an air of importance, and make up for missing action. I just want the plan, the action, the, eventual, final confrontation. You're right about the PC boy but that's a short filler. Norton, given the sceptre (which would earn him about 30 million $) would have more chances of evade police' searching. And add to that that we don't know how much he's been promised by Brando which could be a solid reason for turning tables. And Nick knows Max because Brando is both his fence and job provider: he can find things to steal and clients. Then, about Nick's earnings, we don't know what he did with his money before: he might be betting horses or Las Vegas. And we don't even know how much he earned with his previous jobs. What's important is that Norton's is gonna be the biggest and last one. And I don't see so many people involved with De Niro, except Brando and Norton.   

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »

I do.
best action flick ever.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »

I never said this was a perfect novie but, I tell you, I never could stand action movies  with policemen or burglars sick with life and family troubles: which, usually, are just a way to fill up the movie, give it an air of importance, and make up for missing action. I just want the plan, the action, the, eventual, final confrontation. You're right about the PC boy but that's a short filler. Norton, given the sceptre (which would earn him about 30 million $) would have more chances of evade police' searching. And add to that that we don't know how much he's been promised by Brando which could be a solid reason for turning tables. And Nick knows Max because Brando is both his fence and job provider: he can find things to steal and clients. Then, about Nick's earnings, we don't know what he did with his money before: he might be betting horses or Las Vegas. And we don't even know how much he earned with his previous jobs. What's important is that Norton's is gonna be the biggest and last one. And I don't see so many people involved with De Niro, except Brando and Norton.

Well I can swallow a lot of it, but not all. These plot inconsistencies/devices are grouped one on another, in a circle, weak spots all around. You don't find the scattered, but grouped all in one spot - Nickie boy. Paired with the uninspired and minimalistic direction of Frank Oz they successfully drown the hull of the movie... The whole picture also lacks glamour, movie glamour, the atmosphere needed just isn't there. I'm not talking about the fake human drama fillers. Had this been done with a small budget and 10 actors I would have given it a 8/10, but like this it doesn't seem fair.

The PC boy is the worst bit, the whole character De Niro is playing doesn't make much sense prior to his introduction, but when they do introduce him everything turns into a big joke. There's also the black chick, that knows a lot about Nick, and tells him the story of that fella getting caught in Turkey, if I'm not mistaken. That's already a lot of people that don't need to know Nick's business knowing Nick's business. Nickie's like a 50 - 50 character, 50 percent seems perfect while the other 50 percent seems like an insult to the viewers intelligence. It is not possible, as I see it, for someone as studious as him, passionate about his job, reliable, big time, already a few decades in the business, to also rely on so much ifs. Remember that Nick isn't forced to take the job, especially if he knows what kind of a character Max is. Unless of course there's some kind of old war story the two share, but that's besides the point anyway, as Max is clearly a bon vivant only interested in living his own life with full lungs.

And also, Jack the greenhorn selling the scepter would be possible, except, if Nick's been in the business for so long, it still doesn't make much sense for him not to be the one in the one man show, without Max. It's either Jack's very smart or very stupid, after the score everybody knows his face, and you can't just go and sell a scepter in the local antiquity shop, as I reckon.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM