Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:25:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Final Flashback?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Flashback?  (Read 22750 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »

I love this sequence! does anyone know WHY people from MGM have choosen a version of the film without it? I just can't understand it! That was the most moving scene of the movie (with Coburn smilling... arg! that's too much!).
Because those SONS OF BITCHES know we will buy every version untill we buy THE FINAL VERSION as released by THEM! They have us on a hook! Angry Angry Angry

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »

I have a two-disc korean dvd set with the english on one disc and the italian on the other... a quick switcheroo and it's all good... the biggest problem i have i love the flashback, but i also love the music as the cloud of smoke goes up in flames, which for some reason isn't in the italian... anyway i had the priviledge of seeing the whole damn thing in english last winter when they released(limited) the restoration in theatres where they had the final flashback and the music and the final words from juan

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 07:55:13 AM »

I recently bought the Italian language VHS. It doesn't have all the stuff added in the latest English dvd (Villega's toture, Sean in the desert etc) but it DOES have the final flashback. I do like that final flashback, it brings a sense of completeness at the end of the film.

It's class.
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »

Villega's toture, Sean in the desert etc
never remember seeing these scenes, i have a korean dvd

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004, 11:38:32 AM »

The two scenes mentioned have never yet been added to the film. They are mentioned in a book about Sergio Leone ,so they do exist, but as far as I know the Italian and Korean DVDs are the longest versions available.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 11:30:19 AM »

Thank you very much for the link, guy...It's so marvellous to see a scene I've never seen... Cry Cry Cry Ho my god, I'm crying!!! Lol

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 11:34:48 AM »

I recently bought the Italian language VHS. It doesn't have all the stuff added in the latest English dvd (Villega's toture, Sean in the desert etc) but it DOES have the final flashback. I do like that final flashback, it brings a sense of completeness at the end of the film.

Do you think that it's the "begining" of OUATIA, in the sense of Leone employed a woman in ...the revolution, such as all the others women were not very important (not Gill in OUATITW...); so in fact, OUATITW, OUATTR and OUATIA are movies with intersting woman...
Leone didn't understand why there were women in old westerns, as Ford!!!

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 01:36:31 PM »

yeah, garry, ive just watched the final flashback scene too. cheers mate, it was great.  Smiley

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Geoman
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 04:58:13 PM »

This borders on BlASPHEMY!  It is akin to cutting the stairway scene with Clark Gable and Vivienne Leigh in Gone With The Wind Angry Angry.  The final flashback scene is one of the most moving scenes ever shot in a movie, especially knowing we just recently lost such a great actor. We miss you sorely Jim Cry Cry.
Ennio Morricone's score is brilliant!!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 05:03:56 PM by Geoman » Logged
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 04:37:39 PM »

The two scenes mentioned have never yet been added to the film. They are mentioned in a book about Sergio Leone ,so they do exist, but as far as I know the Italian and Korean DVDs are the longest versions available.
Wrong! The French version always included the final flash back. I saw it like that on TV. Nothing was cut or censored. I think they cut it because of censorship.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 09:07:47 AM »

In the French version DVD, there is not the final flash back.
In the final flash back, I find they overacte...It must be 'cause we don't have sounds, just the (beautyful) music. What do you think???

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 09:20:21 AM »

as far as i know the beautiful music is all there is for sound in the flashback... and thats the way it should be... i don't think it's overrated... i think its all beautiful and makes seans death one of the most glorious in movie history.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 11:19:40 AM »

i think coburn's facial expression was a bit cheesy, but the mood of the flashback would have fitted in perfectly with the end.

Perhaps i'm just dopey but i didnt realise until about the third time i saw DYS that i realised sean committed suicide by dynamite i thought it was just some random explosion. Leone perhaps coulda made it a bit clearer for people like me, lol  Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 01:34:31 PM »

Wrong! The French version always included the final flash back. I saw it like that on TV. Nothing was cut or censored. I think they cut it because of censorship.

I was referring to the two other scenes mentioned, those of Sean in the desert and Villega's torture. Those two scenes have never been added to the film.  Of course the final flashback has- I have the Italian DVD with it in!  I mentioned this in an earlier post!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 01:35:01 PM by Jon » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2004, 12:57:18 AM »

Perhaps i'm just dopey but i didnt realise until about the third time i saw DYS that i realised sean committed suicide by dynamite i thought it was just some random explosion. Leone perhaps coulda made it a bit clearer for people like me, lol  ;D

You're not alone, it also took me several viewings before I got the fact of Sean's suicide. I too think the fault lies with Leone. He *should* have made the end clearer.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM