Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:10:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why is "Sorry, Tuco" excised from the Italian version?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is "Sorry, Tuco" excised from the Italian version?  (Read 11444 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »

Yea, check that, I seem to remember it being there upon its initial release, but then again, I also seem to remember Indio in "For A Few Dollars More" parodying the baptizing his Colt SAA revolver in the broken down church upon its initial release.

I have heard Frayling mention the gun-baptizing as a deleted scene (possibly due to censors, who found that too offensive); I never knew that was actually released (at least in USA)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »

I read this too, but it seems this scene was actually never part of any released version. If it ever was shot:

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »

I read this too, but it seems this scene was actually never part of any released version. If it ever was shot:

it seemed from Frayling (I think on the FAFDM dvd commentary) that it was indeed shot

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

Good spot on this, I never noticed it! Yet another weird difference, the two cuts of G.B.U. (even after the "english extended version") still are quite different. The beating scene is not only shorter in the U.S. version, it's actually structured differently as well. And then there is the very different versions of the music over the last three way duel...I'm sure going side by side there would be other differences as well...

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »

I watched the full torture scene the other day and afterwards I've been wishing it was included in its entirety. It shows that Tuco suffered a much more severe beating before talking (i.e. demonstrates he's tougher), especially the extended scene where Wallace is squeezing his eyeballs deeper into his sockets. I really love the deleted shot where Angel Eyes leans toward Tuco as Wallace delivers the final method of torture with his thumbs. It's a great shot.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:16:07 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »

I really love the deleted shot where Angel Eyes leans toward Tuco as Wallace delivers the final method of torture with his thumbs. It's a great shot.

I think this shot was in the theatrical German version. There were some alternative shots on the DVD, and they had to add for these alternative shots a new dub with a different voice, it was maybe this shot.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »

I watched the full torture scene the other day and afterwards I've been wishing it was included in its entirety. It shows that Tuco suffered a much more severe beating before talking (i.e. demonstrates he's tougher), especially the extended scene where Wallace is squeezing his eyeballs deeper into his sockets. I really love the deleted shot where Angel Eyes leans toward Tuco as Wallace delivers the final method of torture with his thumbs. It's a great shot.

I just compared the italian copies I have, VS the US extended cut & U.S original dvd cut. The shot is in both the US cuts but not the italian ones...again another weird difference in the U.S. cuts favor.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »

I just compared the italian copies I have, VS the US extended cut & U.S original dvd cut. The shot is in both the US cuts but not the italian ones...again another weird difference in the U.S. cuts favor.

EDIT: I reviewed the Italian DVDs and I know what scene you're talking about now, the shot of AE leaning forward toward the camera. I didn't realize the Italian cuts were missing that shot too!

ANOTHER EDIT AFTER VIEWING JK's VIDEO: The shot I was referring to in my previous post is found in the full torture scene only and REPLACES the shot of AE leaning forward in the US cuts. The camera is over AE's left shoulder and slowly pans in as he's leaning over Tuco screaming on the table. THERE IS ALSO AN EXTRA CU OF WALLACE IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIS SHOT. So basically Tuco gets his eyeballs crushed for longer and understandably agrees to talk.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:13:41 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

EDIT: I reviewed the Italian DVDs and I know what scene you're talking about now, the shot of AE leaning forward toward the camera. I didn't realize the Italian cuts were missing that shot too!

The shot I was referring to in my previous post is found in the full torture scene only and comes right after the shot of AE leaning forward in the US cuts. The camera is over AE's left shoulder and slowly pans in as he's leaning over Tuco screaming on the table. So basically Tuco gets his eyeballs crushed for longer and understandably agrees to talk.

I made a quick and dirty comparison video of all 3 :

http://jordankrug.com/Screening_Room/leone2/eyeballs3cutscompare.mov

1. Italian - missing a lee van cleef shot btw the eyeball wallace shots
2. U.S. - Cu of van cleef in between
3. Deleted/Uncut Italian - over the shoulder of Van Cleef in between

I wonder which one would be "official" and if there are any MORE shots unique to the U.S. version (which would be my last guess at having anything unique!) One of these days I'll attempt a version of the beating scene which uses ALL the possible shots from every version.

Ignore the weird white squares around the vid, it's because the source files I had were all different codecs and ratios..

Here is also a quick reference on the shots (quite a few) missing from the "sorry Tuco" sequence in the italian version (again quality is dicey but it serves the purpose it needs to)

http://jordankrug.com/Screening_Room/leone2/sorrytucocompare.mov

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

Those are excellent videos, Jordan. I wish I had the technical skill and resources to do that. Is it possible for me to download them for future reference?

---

I've been trying to compare uncut vs US vs Italian for the torture scene according to the lyrics of "Story of a Soldier". Very crude and questionably useful...

As sung in extended torture sequence (italicized = repeated lyrics):

Bugles are calling from prairie to shore, Sign up and fall in and march off to war; [Tuco on table, AE and Wallace look at each other]
Drums beating loudly, hearts beating proudly March blue and gray and smile as you go.
Smoke hides the valleys and fire paints the plains, Loud roar ["more feeling"] the cannons till ruin remains;
Blue grass and cotton burnt and forgotten, All hope seems gone so, soldier, march on to die. [Prisoner glances over at Blondie behind fence]
[Cut to torture; Tuco struggles on table; AE further interrogates Tuco, then AE nods…]

Count all the crosses and count all the tears, These are the losses and sad souvenirs; [Cut to Tuco getting beat down; AE presses tobacco into his pipe]
This devastation once was a nation So fall the dice, how high is the price. ["How is your digestion now?"]
Bugles are calling from prairie to shore, Sign up and fall in and march off to war.
Smoke hides the valleys and fire paints the plains, Loud roar the cannons till ruin remains; [Violinist stops playing here]
Blue grass and cotton burnt and forgotten All hope seems gone so, soldier, [Violinist starts playing again] march on to die.
[Guard says something in Italian; close-ups of band members; close-ups of Blondie and other prisoner, then prisoners says something to Blondie behind fence]
There in [Cut back to torture] the distance a flag I can see, Scorched [Wallace presses thumbs into Tuco’s eyes] and in ribbons but whose can it be;
How ends the story, whose is the glory, [Wallace stops pressing] Ask if we dare our comrades out there who sleep. [“where”?]

Lyrics to The Story of A Soldier as sung on MGM DVD (italicized = repeated lyrics):

Bugles are calling from prairie to shore, Sign up and fall in and march off to war; [Tuco on table, AE and Wallace look at each other]
Drums beating loudly, hearts beating proudly March blue and gray and smile as you go.
Smoke hides the valleys and fire paints the plains, [Cut to Blondie and prisoner behind fence] Loud roar the cannons till ruin remains [Prisoner glances over at Blondie behind fence];
Blue grass and cotton [Cut to torture; Tuco struggles on table] burnt and forgotten All hope seems gone so, soldier, march on to die. ["Was Carson dead or alive when you found him?"]
Count all the crosses and ["What did he tell you about the money?"] count all the tears, These are the losses and sad souvenirs; [Wallace and AE glance over at another] This devastation once was a nation (more feeling) So fall the dice, how high is the price.
There in the distance a flag I can see, [Cuts to prisoner talking to Blondie behind fence] Scorched and in ribbons but whose can it be; How ends the story, whose is the glory, Ask if we dare our comrades out ["How is your digestion now?"] there who sleep. ["I have nothing to tell you."]
[Violin solo…abrupt end…."play that fiddle you!"]
Count all the crosses and count all the tears, These are the losses and sad souvenirs;
This devastation
[Wallace presses thumbs into Tuco’s eyes] once was a nation So fall the dice ["I talk"], how high is the price [Wallace stops pressing] we pay.

I still need to analyze the Italian cut but, as you all know, the cut is significantly different.

Comparison of torture scene durations:

6:52 - EXTENDED TUCO TORTURE (MGM EXTRA)
5:02 - MGM SE DVD
4:10 - CVC DVD

1999 MGM DVD, Mondo BD - yet to calculate duration

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:01:51 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »

Feel free to download them (just right click or option click on the link)

I watched the uncut torture scene today, and I think it's important to note that it is labelled as being from the "premiere cut". I think the description makes it seem as if Leone was FORCED to cut the scene down because of the negative damage,  but watching it again, to be honest it drags on and on, many of the shots they cut are of soldiers mouthing the words (of a different song or the italian lyrics to this one) that don't match the music at all.  I agree the extra shots of the beating are good, and I like the new C.U. of the old guy beside Eastwood...but the rest of the shots seem redundant.  I believe, as with the case of the grotto scene (Tuco recruiting the bandits) Leone watched this with an audience at the premiere and decided to cut it all down (not sure if he cut it down to the italian version, I guess more likely the U.S. since it is longer) for the better pace of the scene, not just because he had to.

I think the scene plays very well at it's current length in both versions, and I'm kinda glad this wasn't restored to the S.E. cut, although I'm also grateful they included it on the dvd as it's interesting to see. Much like the extended OATITW, it doesn't feel like the polished version we know and love, but it's fun to see an earlier "draft" of the film. I wonder if they found a copy of the ENTIRE premiere cut as I'm sure there would have been other little changes here and there as well.

Thanks for taking the time H.F. to note the runtimes and the lyrics, I found it hard to make them out in the film..

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:53:43 AM by Jordan Krug » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »

from LeoneNut: Full length beating scene of FAFDM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQp9rnsuEk

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »

I wonder if they found a copy of the ENTIRE premiere cut as I'm sure there would have been other little changes here and there as well.

Thanks for taking the time H.F. to note the runtimes and the lyrics, I found it hard to make them out in the film..

My pleasure.

The Rome Premiere cut would indeed be interesting to see.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »

This is an interesting link, highlights some differences between the first MGM u.s. cut and the extended that I wasn't aware of (besides the deleted scenes there are a few new shots here and there)

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1622&In=Quer

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »

I know this report. These are translations from a German web site. It is called Schnittberichte.com and contains hundreds of these reports about different versions.

The MGM disc runs now for 178 min, while the Italian theatrical version is given with 180 or 182 min. But as far as I know MGM used here already an Italian master, and therefore are some more small bits in the film apart from the new scenes.

And the cave scene probably was never counted for the Italian runtime. It shoulddn't be in the film anyway. there was an Italian re-release in 1982 for which Leone restored a few scenes which were cut out shortly after the premiere, but the cave scenes wasn't amongst them. Without it the runtime is 175 min.

Imo "cut 7" and "cut 9" could also be skipped. Especially "cut 7" is totally superfluous.

And the extended torture scene is really much too long. But these guys surely would have used it if found in a better condition.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM