Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:18:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why is "Sorry, Tuco" excised from the Italian version?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is "Sorry, Tuco" excised from the Italian version?  (Read 11054 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »

And the extended torture scene is really much too long. But these guys surely would have used it if found in a better condition.

I'm not so sure about that. You've probably noticed that the extended scene (as well as the official Italian cut for that matter) feature a completely different take of "The Story of a Soldier" to the international release version. Since there are are no surviving separate English dialogue tracks, they would've had to overlap the English bits with the extended ones, creating noticeable edits in the music. The take used for the Italian version was cut from about 7:20 to 3:57 for the original soundtrack, but the extended soundtrack featured the take used in the international version running 5:34. It's obvious that the entire sequence was completely re-edited to sync with the latter take (especially noticeable in the violin parts). The Italian cut version used a different (and much cruder) approach, simply cross-fading the audio around the cut parts, resulting in very strange lapses in time signature during the entire scene!

There are more differences between the versions though. One that I noticed immediately is that the final shot of Tuco screaming "just a dirty son of a bitch!" seems to exist in two different takes: one in which he is screaming the Italian line, the other in which he is screaming the English line.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 01:55:46 AM »

I'm not so sure about that. You've probably noticed that the extended scene (as well as the official Italian cut for that matter) feature a completely different take of "The Story of a Soldier" to the international release version. Since there are are no surviving separate English dialogue tracks, they would've had to overlap the English bits with the extended ones, creating noticeable edits in the music. The take used for the Italian version was cut from about 7:20 to 3:57 for the original soundtrack, but the extended soundtrack featured the take used in the international version running 5:34. It's obvious that the entire sequence was completely re-edited to sync with the latter take (especially noticeable in the violin parts). The Italian cut version used a different (and much cruder) approach, simply cross-fading the audio around the cut parts, resulting in very strange lapses in time signature during the entire scene!

There are more differences between the versions though. One that I noticed immediately is that the final shot of Tuco screaming "just a dirty son of a bitch!" seems to exist in two different takes: one in which he is screaming the Italian line, the other in which he is screaming the English line.

Very impressive observations! I too believe the Italian version of the beating scene is more crude.

I can't believe I didn't notice that there were 2 different takes of Tuco screaming!! Still learning new things about this movie, thanks to the valuable input of members like you.  Afro

Are there any more differences other than the scenes excised from the international cut?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »

Are there any more differences other than the scenes excised from the international cut?

I think all that I know of have been covered, but if I find more I'll be sure to post them  Wink

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

SORRY TUCO vs SORRY SHORTY
======================

Blonde apologised to Shorty for letting him die.  So is Blondie apologising to Tuco for letting him live???

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »

He was just fucking with him.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM