Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:14:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mercenario aka The Mercenary/A Professional Gun (1968)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Il mercenario aka The Mercenary/A Professional Gun (1968)  (Read 53288 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:31 AM »

Just ordered the new Koch disc to replace my old SPO one. It kind of pained me to do so actually as am still very fond of my old original Japanese disc.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to the remastered anamorphic image and all the extra features with Mike Siegel's subs.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »

'got my first MERCENARIO photobustas today. Too late for the recent DVD release, but here they are anyway:

Busta unrestored / bustas restored / 2-foglio poster (100x140cm):

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »

nice Mike Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

Yeah, that last one-sheet is very Kirby-esque!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »

Watched Il Mercenario  the other day I haven't seen it for a couple of years and was all over again impressed with Corbucci's accomplishment. Its the Corbucci equivalent of GBU.

Quick thoughts:

This go round I payed more attention to the the Columba and Curly characters and to the action sequences.  Reassessing Columba (Giovanna Ralli), she is practically the 4th main character and a catalyst to much of the Paco-Polack rivalry, she could have used a bit more screen time.

Palance's Curly is sort of a foppish border town gangster, owner of a gambling hall, surrounded by equally foppish henchmen, his over-reaction to Sebastian's death hints of gay overtones.

Corbucci really excels in his action sequences, all in all its very entertaining "Zapata".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »

just saw The Mercenary for the first time -- with many thanks to cigar joe  Afro

A few thoughts: (and I should mention that I didn't have time to read all 7 pages on this thread before posting this, so my apologies if I am repeating anything that has already been discussed here).

This is the first non-Leone SW I have ever seen (actually I saw the first half of The Big Gundown before the dvd crapped out, so I should more accurately say that this is the first full SW I have ever seen  Wink ). Some of you have written here comparing it to other SW's, but since I haven't seen any, I am taking it on its own  Smiley

From reading these boards (and Frayling's writings), I've gathered that the SW's were pretty outlandish, and this movie sure didn't disappoint in that regard! It was basically saying, "I'll take your Leone, and raise you ten thousand!" Just as Leone had taken the AW and upped the ante tenfold, this film was taking Leone and doing the same thing. So many Leone gags were copied here and multiplied, which will be recognized instantly by the Leone fan. I don't know if they were taken as an overt reference to the Leone films (as Leone did to the AW in OUATITW), or if they were just plain plagiarized. (Even the opening credits are eerily similar to GBU's!)

But they sure were funny as hell! I thoroughly enjoyed this film, from the first minute to the last. Not a moment was wasted!

-- The woman who dubbed the voice for the lead female is definitely the same one who dubbed Claudia Cardinale's in OUATITW...

Two criticisms I have:

-- I absolutely could not stand Nero's voice. I understand (thanks to cj  Afro) that he dubbed his own voice in English. Well it was terrible. He basically spoke in a monotone at all times. Generally, IMO the actor's real voice should be used whenever possible. But in this case, while Nero obviously knew English, it's clear that he could not speak it in the same tone as one would ordinarily speak, ie. he could only read it in a monotone. I have never heard him speaking Italian, but I'd guess that he did not speak Italian in the same monotone.

And I am not sure whether his character was supposed to be actually Polish, or an American of Polish descent. But either way, his was accent was in no way Polish or American. Not sure how a Polish or Polish/American man would develop a Mediterranean accent  Grin So they probably should have used a different person to dub his voice, just as Leone used some other woman to dub Cardinale's voice in OUATITW, even though Claudia did know English.

-- I know they want international casts with American stars, but I wish they'd actually use Mexican-looking people (with Mexican accents!) for the Mexican characters. I mean, Musante delivered a wonderful performance, but neither his looks nor his accent are anything close to passable for a Mexican. This issue is certainly not exclusive to this film...

Anyway, those 2 criticisms are relatively minor, of course. The film is awesome  Afro Afro

One thing I would like to add: While I understand that many of the SW filmmakers were ardent Leftists, I REALLY LOVED  how this film is very careful -- even in the midst of outlandish stuff -- to emphasize that the idealism of revolution is in fact bullshit. The poor guy wants to rob the banks, so he calls it a "revolution."Also, I wonder if Juan's "Don't Tell Me About Revolution" speech in DYS had anything to do with Nero's character's very thoughtful head-ass speech  Grin

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:10:16 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »

Glad you liked it. One of the 5 best SWs for me.

Nero's Italian voice was dubbed by someone else, and is very different from his original voice. The German version used a voice similar to the Italian one, and I think both sound indeed much better than Nero's own voice.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2011, 06:02:03 AM »

For me his English was acceptable I just took it as a generic European Accent.  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »

For me his English was acceptable I just took it as a generic European Accent.  Afro

I never heard of a "generic European accent"  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

88 Films brings this to Blu at the end of January 2017.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »

Well I took a gamble and ordered in both this and Companeros from Germany. Having just watched The Mercenary it's already money well spent, I frickin loved it.

Review pending.

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:21 AM »

You play by the rules you lose!

Il mercenario (The Mercenary) is directed by Sergio Corbucci and Corbucci co-writes the screenplay with Luciano Vincenzoni, Sergio Spina and Adriano Bolzoni. It stars Franco Nero, Tony Musante, Jacl Palance and Giovanna Ralli. Music is by Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai, with cinematography by Alejandro Ulloa.

It's the Mexican Revolution and Sergei "Polack" Kowalski (Nero) is a gun for hire. Hired by revolutionary Paco Roman (Musante), Kowalski muses on all the scrapes they got into before bringing the story to a present day resolution...

A Technicolor/Techniscope production, Corbucci's Zapata Western is a barnstormer full of political bents, wry humour and searing action. With beautiful Spanish vistas prominent and a musical score that's like a spicy jumping bean, story holds court from beginning to end. Essentially at it's heart it's a buddy buddy piece, though these buddies are hardly what you would call rock solid. Into the mix comes the gorgeous Ralli to add the sauce, whilst as Paco and Kowalski take on the Government and its Army, they also have to contend with Curly (Palance), a camp sadistic dandy with revenge on his mind.

Corbucci has a great eye for action, there's reams of gun fire, with machine guns, artillery and even a plane laying waste to bone and buildings, and usually the cruelty and carnage on show is done with a glint in the eye (milk and dice drink/grenade in mouth), and splendidly so. It's so deft that often a scene is being played out and on the side there is an execution going on, casually unfurled as matter of fact. There's also religious fervour cheekily in place, with Paco's army the Apostles and Polack their Jesus, so it's no surprise that religious imagery is placed within.

Corbucci also likes to let his camera talk. Standard Pasta Western traits operate, such as close ups of the eyes, roving tracking shots, angled up tilts and glides. He also gets lucky with the weather for one shot, capturing a natural rainbow amid some more furious character action. Cast are doing sterling work. Nero is cool supreme, with awesome face fuzz and casually striking matches on various things, Nero proves to be a fine action hero and it's so easy to buy into his character. Musante is also excellent, giving Paco an earnestness that's beguiling, he's a lovable rogue, at times bumbling but utterly heroic within the revolutionary arc. While Palance, though not in it as much as you would think, is giving Curly a most intriguing persona, confusing sexuality and religious alibi.

From a bullring circus opening featuring midget clowns, to a glorious clifftop turkey shoot finale, there is nary a dull moment in the pic. Top dollar Pasta Oater. 8.5/10

German DVD - Region 2 (Gorgeous Print)

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/the_mercenary_blu-ray.htm

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »

Alex Cox commentary to boot  Smiley

Such an entertaining flick...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

I have no idea why of all people Cox made an audio commentary for Il medrceanrio. He does not like the film, actually I think he does not even understand Il mercenario. And the least thing this highly underrated film needs are comments by an anti-connoisseur.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM