Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:23:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW  (Read 38710 times)
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

The shaking hand scene doesn't work for 1 second.

It may have involuntary activated the automatic wrist gun that he possessed if he decided to shake the guy's hand.

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2014, 03:10:24 AM »

I guess the mistake of going through the trouble of analyzing various things in this movie that do not work - or even worse go to that lenght to try to understand why - would be a feat almost as dull and pointless as watching this movie in first place.

4/10

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:30:27 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »

Cowboys vs Aliens > Django Unchained?
Listen, you're entitled to your opinion but I am just wondering: how come you still have your movie watching license?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:11:41 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

Cowboys vs Aliens > Django Unchained?
Listen, you're entitled to your opinion but I am just wondering: how come you still have your movie watching license?

CvA is what it is and can not be anything else under any other circumstance, on the other hand DU isn't what it's supposed to be - a QT movie, not by a long shot. That's the reasoning behind my ratings.

PS: I never had it - that's what saved me.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:13:06 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »

CvA is what it is and can not be anything else under any other circumstance, on the other hand DU isn't what it's supposed to be - a QT movie, not by a long shot. That's the reasoning behind my ratings.

DU, just like IB and in a way both KB, doesn't work as a movie but as a collection of scenes that range from mediocre QT imitation to QT at is greatest. Don't forget that it also features the only really good western gunfight since Tombstone.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »

The scenes range from abyssal misfires to mediocre QT imitation at best.

I only wish I could forget how bad, dry and pointless the 'gunfights' were. They're just plain uninspired and overstretched all-around, they only look good because... No, sorry, they just don't look good in any context.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

No.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bd430afa064a43f5a91731105c7e2b58/django-unchained-actress-ordered-apologize-police

Grin

'Django Unchained' Actress Ordered to Apologize to Police

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An actress who accused Los Angeles police of racial profiling when they investigated a report she was having sex with her boyfriend in a parked car has been ordered to apologize to officers as part of a plea deal.

Daniele Watts, who appeared in "Django Unchained," pleaded no contest Monday to disturbing the peace with loudness.

Los Angeles city attorney's spokesman Frank Mateljan says Watts and her boyfriend, who entered the same plea, were sentenced to 40 hours of community and must write apology letters to three officers and the occupants of a building near where they were briefly detained last year.

Lewd conduct charges against the pair have been dropped.

Lou Shapiro, an attorney for Watts and her boyfriend, says the actress will apologize for her comments to police.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »

I just saw this after picking up a $5 Blu Ray at Target. I was anxious to see it after just getting into Leone's films for the first time, wanting to catch the references and see how Tarantino chose to pay homage.

After "Pulp Fiction" I didn't really seek out Tarantino's films. I guess the consensus among his critics is that his movies get bogged down in self-conscious distractions, and that's the vibe I got from "Django Unchained."

What really numbed me was the lack of charisma among his actors. Maybe it's why I don't watch a lot of new movies and prefer older ones. What happened to acting? I know he won an Oscar, but Walz was so flat and uninteresting that early in the film I started thinking how much more involving the film would have been had it been filled with Pasadena-Playhouse types like an episode of "Gunsmoke" or a 70's Clint Eastwood film. Leonardo diCaprio has the presence of a jock in a high school play...just terrible.

Leone knew to populate his films with charismatic performers, but it was also the acting style of his era. Oddly enough, even though Tarantino loves "vintage" actors, his taste runs to dull ones from the 80's, like Don Johnson, Tom Wopat, and Lee Horsley. In fact, when Michael Parks popped up near the end and stole his scenes with an actual "performance," it really emphasized how lousy the actors were in the rest of the film. Maybe it's because he wants his lovingly-scripted words to come across like a script-reading, unadulterated by inventive interpretation? (I do think Samuel Jackson was good, but the hints that his affect was an act is only touched upon in the brief library scene—and when he discards his cane in his last scene—and could have been developed to make his character much more interesting.)

I also picked up "Hateful Eight" and do look forward to watching it nonetheless.

Starting new topics in the wrong thread since 2016
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »

Hateful Eight is very, very different. Tarantino only did 2 real films after Jacky Brown: Death Proof and Hateful Eight. You may like them or not, prefer his other ones or not, these are the only 2 real films that you can watch without having to know anything about Tarantino and what's his point. Both of them have a real story and are self-contained.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »

Leone knew to populate his films with charismatic performers, but it was also the acting style of his era. Oddly enough, even though Tarantino loves "vintage" actors, his taste runs to dull ones from the 80's, like Don Johnson, Tom Wopat, and Lee Horsley. In fact, when Michael Parks popped up near the end and stole his scenes with an actual "performance," it really emphasized how lousy the actors were in the rest of the film. Maybe it's because he wants his lovingly-scripted words to come across like a script-reading, unadulterated by inventive interpretation? (I do think Samuel Jackson was good, but the hints that his affect was an act is only touched upon in the brief library scene—and when he discards his cane in his last scene—and could have been developed to make his character much more interesting.)
  Grin  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »

Tarantino only did 2 real films after Jacky Brown: Death Proof and Hateful Eight. You may like them or not, prefer his other ones or not, these are the only 2 real films that you can watch without having to know anything about Tarantino and what's his point. Both of them have a real story and are self-contained.
Huh. Maybe I should watch H8?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

The Hateful 8 is definitely worth a view.

The biggest problem with DU is the plot structure. The stakes aren't quite high enough for their journey, which didn't include enough conflict, and QT couldn't even figure out a way to end the movie after the final shootout. The last half hour is so disjointed. If he simply had a reader with the cojones to point out these obvious flaws, the movie might be a masterpiece.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »

I just saw this after picking up a $5 Blu Ray at Target. I was anxious to see it after just getting into Leone's films for the first time, wanting to catch the references and see how Tarantino chose to pay homage.

After "Pulp Fiction" I didn't really seek out Tarantino's films. I guess the consensus among his critics is that his movies get bogged down in self-conscious distractions,

Actually that's only the consensus amongst those who don't get into his films. Others think they are stunning masterpieces which are as amazing as films can get. But so far that ends for me after IB.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »

Huh. Maybe I should watch H8?

You definitely should. The movie is flawed, and some of these flaws will bother you like they bothered TH. But you'll not waste your time. And as I've said before, QT catches something unique by going the old extra wide 65mm road, with his traditional use of the Morricone score and other stuff.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:01:27 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM