Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:27:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW  (Read 37310 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:02 AM »

The Hateful 8 is definitely worth a view.

So is Inglorious Basterds.  The first scene with the farmer and Walz really needed the Angel Eyes music from beginning of GBU, but Tarantino had just used that at beginning of Kill Bill 2, can't go to the well too many times...that scene was so reminiscent of that.

The only thing I didn't like about Django Unchained was that the KKK scene was too long and protracted.  And Jonah Hill is a low-talent nobody, sorry.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »

So is Inglorious Basterds.  The first scene with the farmer and Walz really needed the Angel Eyes music from beginning of GBU, but Tarantino had just used that at beginning of Kill Bill 2, can't go to the well too many times...that scene was so reminiscent of that.

The only thing I didn't like about Django Unchained was that the KKK scene was too long and protracted.  And Jonah Hill is a low-talent nobody, sorry.

I have not seen IB, but in the two Jonah Hill movies I have seen - Moneyball and The Wolf of Wall Street - he was GREAT

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »

I have not seen IB, but in the two Jonah Hill movies I have seen - Moneyball and The Wolf of Wall Street - he was GREAT

Are you talking about comedies?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »

Hateful Eight is very, very different.

While I am often turned off by gratuitous violence (note I'm not thinking Peckinpah here but more pain and gore for its own sake) and verbose dialogue, there remains a lot to admire about a filmmaker who can really define themself as an auteur in today's Hollywood (i.e. you know it is one of their films just by watching it). Notably the main members of his crew (editors, cinematographers etc.) remain consistent. I am no Tarantino expert, but what is interesting about "Hateful Eight" is NL's point that it is just different in spite of the consistency in the crew. While I still wish we had seen a little more "Rules of the Game" style use of the extreme widescreen (i.e. lots of relevant background activity caught by the wide lens to develop further the "whodunnit" side of things and the visual style), the fact that he went with such an aspect ratio for such a claustrophobic film was a stroke of genius by him and cinematographer Robert Richardson.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »

I don't think it is a stroke of genius, but also not a strange idea.

QT was not the first to use a wide format for an intimate film.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »

Actually I think more than the widescreen factor, it was the anamorphic nature of the lenses that probably contributed to the effect due to what the lenses did to everything on the sides of the image. Polanski shot "carnage in 2.35:1 which is also anamorphic.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM