Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:56:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Seraphim Falls (2006)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seraphim Falls (2006)  (Read 21645 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »

As I said above, the film starts strong. I really liked the survival-in-the-snow sequence, with Brosnon trying to stay ahead of his pursuers, keep warm, and get a bullet dug out of his arm. But once he runs into the pioneer family everything good in the picture evaporates. And from there things keep going steadily downhill (literally, figuartively, and in terms of story logic). For me, a good intro alone isn't enough.

The film does start off strong and does lose some momentum down the strech. I will admit to that. I just love the first half hour of the film so I guess I can put up with the rest of the movie. I personally hated the flashback sequence towards the end. It didn't really warrant Carver's action's in my eyes. The whole film you think Gideon did something so horrific to this man but when you find out what he did, I don't think he deserved this treatment. It would have been better to leave us with a hint of something instead of the whole backstory. It would have made for a far better conclusion.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »

I personally hated the flashback sequence towards the end. It didn't really warrant Carver's action's in my eyes. The whole film you think Gideon did something so horrific to this man but when you find out what he did, I don't think he deserved this treatment. It would have been better to leave us with a hint of something instead of the whole backstory. It would have made for a far better conclusion.
You're right. At first I was gratified that a flashback device was being used in what seemed like an homage to Leone (there's even one point where both men simultaneously share the flashback, even though they're miles apart). But finally what the flashback reveals is so tepid when contrasted with, say, the one in OUATITW, that it would have been better to show nothing at all. Who can enjoy a vendetta against a guy who didn't mean what he did?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »

You're right. At first I was gratified that a flashback device was being used in what seemed like an homage to Leone (there's even one point where both men simultaneously share the flashback, even though they're miles apart). But finally what the flashback reveals is so tepid when contrasted with, say, the one in OUATITW, that it would have been better to show nothing at all. Who can enjoy a vendetta against a guy who didn't mean what he did?

That is right. I guess I don't hate the film as much as you do but I do agree with why you don't like it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »

FINALLY got to see this after numerous bouts of Cowboy interruptus.
The opening section is sensational-I could actually feel myself shivering along with Brosnan who did a remakable job of conveying the terrible pain he was suffering.
The film is gripping throughout and only in the last act did it drag a bit. What is it with modern day westerns OPEN RANGE, APPALOOSA also suffered from a needlessly drawn out climax!
The Christian allegory imbedded in the script was an intiguing element twist (although not surprising as Mel Gibson produced it) I am not sue if I might have preferred a more "down to earth" resoultion instead of the metaphorical. mystical one we got.
All in all, this might be the best oater since UNFORGIVEN,

check it out
bruce Smiley

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:13:30 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »

so its like "the undefeated" with John Wayne?

more like RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND & THE SHOOTING with Jack Nicholson & HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER & JOSEY WALES with Clint......

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »

Rating?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »

8 out of ten (4 outta five)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:43 AM »

Just saw Seraphim Falls and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I agree with lots of you that the beginning was amazing and the later parts not as much, but I think it really picked up again toward the end. I really like this film, and would definitely recommend it to any Western fan

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:17:50 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 05:38:17 AM »

I got the DVD meanwhile: saw bits of it and it definitely looks entertaining. Lips Sealed

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »

Good chase picture that loses me when it becomes a Mystic Western in the final 15 minutes.

7/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »

I think that the entire first part (until Pierce reaches the cabin) could have easily been shot without any dialogue whatsoever, like the beginning of Rio Bravo and OUATITW. I think that would have made the great opening even better  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:53:30 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM