Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:18:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  the man with no name?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the man with no name?  (Read 4885 times)
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2004, 05:05:31 PM »

i recently learnt that the origins of 'the man with no name' came from the american producers when the Dollars Trilogy was released back-to-back in the US in 1967.

Given this addition to the character, should we really consider clint's character to be 'the man with no name'?

After all, he is referred to as 'joe', 'manco/monco', and 'blondie' in all three of the films. i wonder what leone's intention was...was he really supposed to be the nameless man? this has been getting at me for a while...

theres an interesting view from jools braithwaite at: www.fistfulofwesterns.com (go under the sergio leone section)

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
ManWithNoName
Road Apple

BaD MoThErFuCkA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:03:03 PM »

thats a good point, i think when there were referring to him a joe it was meant as a tittle cause u kno how the saying goes "Hes no oridnary Joe", or that couldve been his name and they never mentioned it in the movie, but deep in the mind of leone i think he was aiming for a non-named character u kno, blondie was just the color of his hair and right now im watching F.A.F.D.M. so i dunno his name yet.

My Mule Dont Like When People Laugh, He gets a funny idea you're laughing at him.
Andrew Tom
Road Apple

I'm not a number, I'm a human being!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 03:56:30 AM »

The Man With No Name is to me only a marketing trick. Eastwood's character to me has a name in every movie and never bought to the 'No Name' thing. But it's a clever marketing thing.

Biondo
Chicken Thief

Gił la testa coglione!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 04:06:19 AM »

I think was the intention of Leone that one to leave the personage without the name, he was one person very careful  to the details.
"monco"  means "man without one hand" in italian.
 for instance read to this interview to Terence Hill concerning the movie "My name is Nobody":

Is it true that Sergio Leone directed parts of 'My Name is Nobody '?
Yes, he did. Sergio Leone liked the American landscape very much and especially my role of 'Trinity ', so he said to me: "I want you to play a new Trinity, but more serious this time." Sergio suggested the idea of the movie. And he also created 'Nobody is the Greatest ' (A Genius, two Partners and a Dupe ). Then he chose to hide his name and just left the name of his company (Rafran) - but he was always on the set.

Do you still have any of the clothes from your movies?
I still have the hat from 'My Name is Nobody'. That hat was very hard to find, Sergio Leone was very particular about the hat. We went to many theater-costume stores together until we found the right one. I also might have some of the Trinity clothes, they might be in a suitcase somewhere!

ManWithNoName
Road Apple

BaD MoThErFuCkA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 04:32:20 AM »

okay so i was going through the little booklets that come with the dvd's and ANDREW TOM was sorta right listen to what it says inside For A Few Dollars More Booklet

page 3
~The Man With No Name:~
Clint Eastwood

"What is the name of the character Clint Eastwood plays in For A Few Dollars More? If you said his character doesnt have one, and that eastwood plays The Man With No Name, go to the bac k of the trivia line and wait for another turn. His characters name is "Moncho". The term "The man with no name" was invented by united artist's as a marketing hook for the release of the U.S. A Fistful of Dollars. (Eastwoods character in that movie also had a name he was "Joe") Needless to say the marketing hook like the al dente pasta, stuck. And why not? Its pefectly embodied the mystery enshroudling Eastwoods leathel killing for hire."

so there you have it now we know

My Mule Dont Like When People Laugh, He gets a funny idea you're laughing at him.
Monco aka TMWNN
Road Apple

"get three coffins ready"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »

it's a pity that DVD's don't show the cast at the end of the movie...

does anybody know what the characters of eastwood were called on the big wide screen? was it just Joe, Monco, and Bondie (or the good)? Or maybe TMWNN or The Stranger?

T
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 06:57:20 AM »

He does have a name.

His name is Joe Monco, . .  aka Blondie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 07:14:40 AM »

good responce T,  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 07:40:14 AM »

he has no name...
he's called "joe" in fod but the guy who uses this name is just trying to call him... he doesn't matter of what is his real name

he's called "monco" in english in FFDM, but it has already been said that it means "one armed"... it is explicit in french

blondie in gbu is not a name as we all know

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 05:06:02 PM »

he's called "monco" in english in FFDM, but it has already been said that it means "one armed"... it is explicit in french

Sorry, the prevailing consensus (Cumbrow, Frayling, this board) is that "monco" means The Monk ("manco" with an "a" means one-armed). This may not affect your point, however, since "Joe", "Monco" and "Blondie" could all be considered nicknames and we never do get the character's real name (assuming, of course, that Eastwood is playing the same role in all 3 films).

So the hero of the Dollars trilogy can be considered *both* the Man With No Name AND The Man With Three Names.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 08:28:34 AM »

Or "The Man with No Real Name, Only Three Nick-Names".

Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM