Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:17:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Looks like we're going to get 40 more minutes of OUATIA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looks like we're going to get 40 more minutes of OUATIA  (Read 8485 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033710?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Wow.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:59:21 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

I hope it happens. But why are they calling it a director's cut?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

I'm hoping there were specific instructions left behind and/or an old work print.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:06:56 AM »

Afro

but I wonder how much of that 40 minutes was intended...if at all.
Would be nice to see the footage either way.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »

Damn this is cool! Afro It will be interesting to see that new footage, no matter what. I'm just wondering how they're gonna do the sound work, especially the dialogue, 'cause no direct sound was recorded, or am I wrong? I hope it'll sound better than the restored GBU.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033710?categoryid=13&cs=1

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 02:40:11 AM »

This is such good news  Afro Afro

I wonder how long it will take before we get the BD release? I just bought the Warner Bros one, but it seems like I'll get a good year and half's use of this before it's surpassed by this one in any case.

A wide theatrical release would be really great!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »

A wide theatrical release would be really great!
Yeah, in 4K.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

from STDWD:

p. 458: Leone very reluctantly excised between forty-five and fifty minutes worth of 'significant material' ."
 Maybe this is what'll be restored?!

p. 462: "It is often rumoured that Leone's 270-minute cut, reinstating the sequences removed in February 1983, has been shown on German of Italian television. It hasn't. The cans of film certainly exist, but they have not been dubbed. Leone hoped to get the actors together again, but it never happened."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:45:28 AM »

Well most of the principals involved are still alive and ticking which is a good thing.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 04:48:46 AM »

Well most of the principals involved are still alive and ticking which is a good thing.  Afro

yeah. James Hayden, who played the older Patsy, died of a heroin overdose (before OUATIA was even released). But as far as I know the rest of the main actors are all alive.

Nowadays, with the proliferation of dvd's and "bonus footage," I hope directors have the foresight to dub everything right away, cuz of the possibility of later release....

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »

But their voices will most likely sound very different nowadays.
Too bad these plans for a longer TV version were not realised then.

On the other hand the film maybe is already a bit too long. OuTA is not as fascinating for me as OuTW and GBU.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 05:59:43 AM »

Yeah, in 4K.
Well, if 2K is the other option then I'm with you. The problem is that there's only one 4K theater in Finland and it ain't near my place. But they're obviously going to make a new digital intermediate, so I'd rather see a film print made from a 4K intermediate than a 2K intermediate.   

But make no mistake, I'm a film man to the end! Wink

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »

But their voices will most likely sound very different nowadays.
Too bad these plans for a longer TV version were not realised then.

On the other hand the film maybe is already a bit too long. OuTA is not as fascinating for me as OuTW and GBU.

I don't think the film is a minute too long; I welcome the extra footage.

On top of p. 461 of STDWD:

"On the way out of the screening, Leone met Dino De Laurentiis who said that America was terrific, but that it would surely benefit from 'having at least half an hour cut out of it': Leone snapped back that Dino was the last person to offer an opinion on the subject, since he 'made two hour films which felt like four hours, whereas I make four-hour films which feel like two'."

To me, the issue is not about timing; it's whether the movie works and how it flows, etc. I never felt for a  moment that OUATIA drags on; on the other hand, I feel that some other films of similar length (eg. Giant, Gone With the Wind) could have seriously benefited from having a good 45 minutes or so cut out of it. It all depends on how the movie flows, and I think OUATIA flows beautifully.

Of course, I have not seen the unreleased footage, and my opinion may change once I see it. But for now, I am more excited that I have been in I can't remember how long, upon hearing the news that we're gonna get an extra 40 minutes.

Last paragraph on p. 458 of STDWD: Leone "very reluctantly excised between forty-five and fifty minutes' worth of 'significant material' " to get to the 3:49 running time. I don't know if the restored scenes will be those scenes which Leone originally wanted included, or whether they will be other scenes that will be chosen by his family. (According to Frayling, "By February 1983, Sergio Leone had ten hours of usable footage in the can." id.) But Frayling goes on to mention the specific scenes that were cut, so if those are the ones that'll be restored, then I guess we know what we can expect.

Among the footage that Frayling cites as having been cut, what I am most excited for is the extra stuff with the elderly Bailey and Jimmy O'Donnel arguiing over the pension scandal; much of the background material with Eve surrounding her meeting and relationship with Noodles, and footage of the elderly Carol discussing Max's syphilis with the elderly Noodles from her rest home.  I think those scenes may clarify some ambiguities that are in our 3:49 version.

Two additional things that I believe are unclear from our version, is a) when/how the elderly Noodles received the invitation to Bailey's party (was it in the letter he received about the cemetery, but he just neglected to tell Fat Moe about it?); and especially b) how he figured out that Deborah was in a relationship with Bailey. That never seemed fully clear to me, and I am hoping that will be cleared up in the restored scenes. However, Frayling does not mention any scenes involving these issues as being among those that were from the 45-50 minutes that Leone reluctantly had to cut

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:33:40 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM