Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:49:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Looks like we're going to get 40 more minutes of OUATIA
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looks like we're going to get 40 more minutes of OUATIA  (Read 8501 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

Translation of the press release from http://forum.blu-ray.com/italy/167439-cera-una-volta-america-once-upon-time-america-new-restored-version.html

“What a thrill, like a son who returns home after many years ...”
Andrea, son of the unforgettable film director Sergio Leone, along with his sister Raffaella at the head of Leone Productions, has succeeded in a task very dear to his heart. He has purchased from the producer Aarnon Milchan the Italian rights to Once Upon a Time in America, his father’s last film dated 1984.

“It was a long negotiation, difficult, but eventually we made it.” told a liberated Andrea “Now the film will go to the restored images lab of the Cineteca Bologna, directed by Gianluca Farinelli.” They are dedicated to the painstaking restoration of images frame by frame, dubbing the original, soundtrack, effects. “Especially” Andrea Leone continues, “to reassemble the pieces of film, which my father had to cut due to time restraints.”

Among these is the encounter at the Riverdale Cemetery between Noodles - De Niro - and Louise Fletcher (the unforgettable nurse in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). Louise Fletcher plays the director of the cemetery, an austere and ambiguous character, giving an atmosphere of great pathos to Noodles’ first research of his past.

And also, the encounter of old Noodles with Elizabeth McGovern on stage in a theater as she recites the part of Cleopatra in Shakespeare’s ‘Antony and Cleopatra’. “The dubbing remains the original.” Andrea continues “So we will not dub the new components whose on-screen dialogue will be subtitled in Italian. There will be new and complex editing. To supervise the task we will use some-one exceptional. Like a Quentin Tarantino or Martin Scorsese, who understand the film culture of my father, and are expert in the restoration of old films. We wanted to show the new edition of the film at Cannes this year, but there is not sufficient time. Too bad because the president of the Jury will be De Niro. With Sky, we are studying plans for its launch. I do not exclude that the film will return to theaters in 2012."

But the surprises do not end there. “Rummaging in the drawers of my father’s study” Andrea Leone continues, “we found a screenplay that he wrote between 1960 and 1965. It is the story of a handful of fighters engaged in a battle of Ancient Rome. The film is inspired by ‘The Magnificent 7’. We contacted David Franzoni, screenwriter of 'Amistad' and from 'The Gladiator "and we're making a movie to be produced by studios or independents linked with Milchan. Franzoni is pumped by the idea of putting together a film based on an original script by Leone. He is an avid fan. In his study he has a giant poster of The Good the Bad and the Ugly.”

Looks like we'll be getting original English audio for the additional scenes at least.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »

I keep reading that the Leone children bought the rights to the film in Italy.... does anyone know whether that means the new dvd with the restored versions will only be released in Italy?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »

It's possible, although Warner's will no doubt be offered the chance to license the material. I don't know why they wouldn't. But even if they were to pass, someone like Criterion might take it up.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

that would be a real downer, if my whole wait is for naught... Though if that were to happen, I'm sure there will be copies pirated immediately in America, with the extra scenes added in the proper places to the original film  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

if anyone with any influence on the new dvd release is reading this: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have Christopher Frayling record a commentary for the dvd  Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »

if anyone with any influence on the new dvd release is reading this: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have Christopher Frayling record a commentary for the dvd  Smiley

I'll second that.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »

Thirded

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »

Fingers crossed for this whole thing! Smiley

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM