Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:57:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Proposition (2005)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Proposition (2005)  (Read 33669 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »

Better with every viewing  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »

Beaver on the Blu-ray disc: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/the_proposition_blu-ray.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2009, 02:44:46 AM »

SPOILERS, I guess.

After hearing Nick Cave's Murder Ballads I just had to see this movie. And it is a good one, one of the best westerns in the past twenty years (not the best though). I can't say much that haven't been said already. It's gritty and violent. The Australia setting and the Aboriginals create a somewhat mystical atmosphere. The main problem is that Charlie is too weak a character. Too little time is spent with him, thus his difficult choice is not moving and his final act seems to be coming out of nowhere. If you think about it, yes it probably makes sense, but what matters is that it doesn't stir emotions during the movie. The Stanley couple is very sympathetic but in the last scene they are more like victims and bystanders, and Charlie just comes like a rescuing angel, which is a bad move storytelling wise.

Having just seen Luhrman's Australia, it was interesting to see another kind of take on Australian history. Both involve mystical Aboriginal culture but The Proposition felt more honest whereas Australia was like a advertisement or postcard. In short Luhrman's Australia is like a imaginary land and Cave/Hillcoat's Australia is a real country with real history and real dirt.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »

I was really looking forward to it. It looked fantastic and everyone was saying it's like a Peckinpah or Leone movie.

Instead, it was incredibly boring. So boring I couldn't wait for it to be over. No interesting dialogue, acting was mediocre at best, plot was boring, characters were uninteresting and under-developed, hardly any action. You're suppose to sympathize for most of these characters because they all face serious moral dilemmas, but it's the complete opposite. You don't care at all about the characters.

The only good thing was the costume designs and cinematography, but it couldn't save this lame-ass film. One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

The only thing I disagree with the above is the fact that I wasn't really looking forward to it. I expected exactly what I saw, especially after having heard a couple of "songs" from the screenplayer. And I was about to put an end to the vision after 20 minutes. I wonder how people here can even start to associate SW or Leone with this just because the beards or hair are longer than in Hollywood westerns or people are made to look like they aren't washing themselves or maybe because some of the violence is more explicit. I could spend another 100 lines with what doesn't work woth this crap but I'll save me the effort. Only for Wenders lovers. 3\10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »

Only for Wenders lovers. 3\10

Lol

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: