Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2021, 07:57:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Long Haul (1957)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Long Haul (1957)  ( 1086 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« : August 31, 2020, 12:31:14 AM »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050653/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Haul_(1957_film)

The Long Haul (1957)

plot synopsis and cast, adapted from wikipedia

An American ex-serviceman (Victor Mature) leaves Allied-occupied Germany after World War II and is persuaded by his English wife (Gene Anderson) to settle in Liverpool. Looking for work, he becomes a lorry driver. He comes into contact with criminals involved in theft from commercial vehicles and draws close to the girlfriend (Diana Dors) of a the head of the crooked trucking company(Patrick Allen).

Victor Mature as Harry Miller
    Diana Dors as Lynn
    Patrick Allen as Joe Easy
    Gene Anderson as Connie Miller
    Peter Reynolds as Frank
    Liam Redmond as Casey
    John Welsh as Doctor
    Meier Tzelniker as Nat Fine
    Michael Wade as Butch Miller
    Dervis Ward as Mutt
    Murray Kash as Jeff
    Jameson Clark as MacNaughton
    John Harvey as Superintendent Macrea
    Roland Brand as Army sergeant
    Stanley Rose as Foreman
    Barry Raymond as Depot manager
    Norman Rossington as Liverpool driver
    Arthur Mullard as Minor role
    Alfred Burke as drunk in Club (uncredited)
    Sam Kydd as Taxi Driver

« : August 31, 2020, 12:46:13 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #1 : August 31, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »

I saw this British noir on Watch TCM app (just expired). It is quite a pleasure to run into a noir I have never heard of before, and it turns out to be a really good movie! I give this an 8/10.

Here is the Beaver page http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews57/the_long_haul.htm

rest of post contains spoilers:

The cast is good. Victor Mature is solid in the lead. A blue-collar guy trying to earn a living; fundamentally decent but goes along with crime when he feels he has no other choice. In that regard, a common noir character.

But other parts are somewhat un-noir: the blonde bombshell (Diana Dors) turns to not really be a femme fatale: though Mature does fall for her (I believe just one sexual encounter, then he has regrets and tries to go back to his wife), she really does love him. The crimes he commits are at first to help support his family and then to attain his dream of getting to America, not for the sake of getting the temptress. She is not the reason he becomes a criminal. And she does not try to get him to commit crimes. She is not really a femme fatale.

And un-noir like, he makes a sacrifice and does the right thing at the end. Willingly being arrested just so he should stay in England and be with his wife and particularly his son.

Patrick Allen is really good as the crook.

« : August 31, 2020, 12:47:11 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : August 31, 2020, 02:55:54 AM »

And un-noir like, he makes a sacrifice and does the right thing at the end. Willingly being arrested just so he should stay in England and be with his wife and particularly his son.
Won't he be deported as an undesirable alien?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #3 : August 31, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »

Won't he be deported as an undesirable alien?

Perhaps eventually, but then he can bring his wife and son with him. Much better than fleeing to America immediately with his mistress and ditching the wife and son.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #4 : August 31, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »

Tweet by Eddie Muller on this movie https://twitter.com/EddieMuller/status/1297045317242613761

Great point on the last line. Instead of focusing on Victor Mature, focus on Diana Dors's line that closes the movie: She has just seen Mature go back to his wife, and with it, she has lost her shot to flee the nightclub; now, when the cabble asks "where to," she replies, "Take me back to the Congo Club." Pretty f***ing noir!

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines