Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:52:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Patriot (2000)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Patriot (2000)  (Read 3249 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »

The Patriot - 6/10 - 4th viewing.

The Enforcer - 7/10 - Thin on plot but the action scenes are great, especially the Alcatraz finale. A middling Dirty Harry entry.

1. as a teenager, The Patriot was my favorite movie for a long time. must have seen it at least 50 times (that is not a misprint -- though not always straight, sometimes in bits and pieces) in the first 3 years after it was released on video. Interestingly, the scenes of the British atrocities were very controversial, with many claiming they were historically false. And some felt particularly outraged that the director Roland Emmerich, who is German, was using the British to depict atrocities that were more closely associated with the Nazis. (see eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Patriot_%282000_film%29#Depiction_of_atrocities_in_the_Revolutionary_War ) To be clear, I have no opinion either way on whether The Patriot was historically accurate; I am no Revolutionary war historian.

Much as I despise Mel Gibson personally, I think he delivered a fantastic performance in the film. And the score by John Williams is an all-time great

2. I agree that "The Enforcer" is a middling Dirty Harry entry. I like all the Dirty Harrys. 7/10 sounds just right to me as well  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:09:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »

The problem with The Patriot isn't that it's "inaccurate" (which it is, but that's almost beside the point), but that it's so cartoonish and over-the-top that I can't take it seriously. I'm shocked Jason Isaacs's character wasn't shown sacrificing kittens to Satan for all the evil he, personally, committed in the film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

haha Isaacs was great. As was Tom Wilkinson, who played Cornwallis.

It'd be interesting to see how I felt about the movie if I watched it again now, after having not seen it in about 7 years... btw, I heard that they released a "Special Edition" dvd with some extra scenes added back into the film. I am wondering if you have seen that version, and whether there is any significant difference between that one and the original?...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »

That's the version I watched, but I couldn't tell you which scenes were deleted/restored.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

1. as a teenager, The Patriot was my favorite movie for a long time. must have seen it at least 50 times (that is not a misprint -- though not always straight, sometimes in bits and pieces) in the first 3 years after it was released on video. Interestingly, the scenes of the British atrocities were very controversial, with many claiming they were historically false. And some felt particularly outraged that the director Roland Emmerich, who is German, was using the British to depict atrocities that were more closely associated with the Nazis. (see eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Patriot_%282000_film%29#Depiction_of_atrocities_in_the_Revolutionary_War ) To be clear, I have no opinion either way on whether The Patriot was historically accurate; I am no Revolutionary war historian.

Much as I despise Mel Gibson personally, I think he delivered a fantastic performance in the film. And the score by John Williams is an all-time great

Wonder why they just didn't make a (non Disney) movie about Francis Marion "The Swamp Fox" It would have covered the same ground and would have been a true story.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »

Wonder why they just didn't make a (non Disney) movie about Francis Marion "The Swamp Fox" It would have covered the same ground and would have been a true story.

Because Marion was a much more complex figure than the movie's protagonist? I really hated the way the skirted around the slavery issue - Gibson just happens to have "free" blacks working on his farm. Uh huh. Maybe if this were 1880 and not 1780.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »

Because Marion was a much more complex figure than the movie's protagonist? I really hated the way the skirted around the slavery issue - Gibson just happens to have "free" blacks working on his farm. Uh huh. Maybe if this were 1880 and not 1780.

I am no historian, but are you sure that every landowner had slaves? Were there none who opposed slavery on moral grounds?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »

It's possible, although there were a great many landowners who morally opposed slavery but kept slaves for financial reasons. This could apply to most of the Southern Founding Fathers, for instance.

I do find it hard to swallow that a Georgia landowner would have dozens of "free" black servants till his property, however. And while I'm sure there's a case of it somewhere in history, it seems an expedient by Gibson and the filmmakers to avoid having their protagonist be a slaveowner. Because that would make his character complex and flawed, and we can't have that.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:10:09 PM »

It's possible, although there were a great many landowners who morally opposed slavery but kept slaves for financial reasons. This could apply to most of the Southern Founding Fathers, for instance.

I do find it hard to swallow that a Georgia landowner would have dozens of "free" black servants till his property, however. And while I'm sure there's a case of it somewhere in history, it seems an expedient by Gibson and the filmmakers to avoid having their protagonist be a slaveowner. Because that would make his character complex and flawed, and we can't have that.

I believe Gibson's character lives in South Carolina, not Georgia

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »

You'd like to see good ole Patriot having a topic of its own, wouldn't ya, Groggy.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »

You'd like to see good ole Patriot having a topic of its own, wouldn't ya, Groggy.

No

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »

I believe Gibson's character lives in South Carolina, not Georgia

You mean South Carolina, the deepest of the Deep South and cradle of secession? Even better.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »

You mean South Carolina, the deepest of the Deep South and cradle of secession? Even better.

yeah, I was just clarifying the location of the film; I didn't mean it to affect this question over the issue of slavery

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

You're right. Francis Marion was from Georgia, the film's protagonist was from SC.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 04:17:10 AM »

I'm shocked Jason Isaacs's character wasn't shown sacrificing kittens to Satan for all the evil he, personally, committed in the film.

I'm sure the footage will emerge on certain new editions in the future. You just wait.

And when it does - this will be the place to discuss it. I'm counting on ya, Groggs.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:19:21 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM