Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:00:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pi aka π (1998)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pi aka π (1998)  (Read 1618 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:37:58 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

I've seen that opinions regarding Darren Aronofsky around here vary to the extreme, but that's besides the point.

What I'm saying is that movie is a masterpiece like no other: one little indie movie on a shoestring budget, with an unknown cast giving stellar performances, with a frighteningly smart story directed with such passion and with brilliant ideas sparking around every turn. Even the soundtrack's awesome.

The only thing that doesn't live up to the rest is the ending, cause it's only good, not extraordinary.

(near a) 9/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:38:49 AM »

And I've watched this at least 6 or 7 times so far.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:50:43 AM »

I think I need to see this. I think Requiem for a Dream is nearly a masterpiece and I've heard that Pi is even better. Aronofsky ran out of steam after Requiem.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »

all I've seen is Requiem.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »

I'll give Aronofsky credit for making something on a 60K USD budget, but I chalk it up as just another pretentious, pseudo-intellectual "edgy" movie that adds up to nothing.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:09 AM »

I'll give Aronofsky credit for making something on a 60K USD budget, but I chalk it up as just another pretentious, pseudo-intellectual "edgy" movie that adds up to nothing.

I would have to strongly disagree with this. I think it adds a lot of good things one next to the other, as few other movies do. In the end, it is just a movie, yeah, so to obtain some sort of deliverance just by watching it would be too much (to ask for).

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:34:36 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »

I think I need to see this. I think Requiem for a Dream is nearly a masterpiece and I've heard that Pi is even better. Aronofsky ran out of steam after Requiem.

I have seen RFAD only once: I thought it was rad, but never had the urge to watch it again. I would say Pi is much, much better, almost from another dimension. Watch it if you get the chance and report back.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

I should have mentioned my strong dislike of Aronofsky in my previous post. Watching one of his movies feels like someone is poking me in the face with their index finger for 2 hours.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM