Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:18:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  'West' blu ray May 31
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'West' blu ray May 31  (Read 53380 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »

True, what did I miss?

I don't know, I was joking.

My point being: what did you guys expect they were gonna put in it anyway?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »

I'm a bit disappointed with the image. It doesn't look all that much better than the DVD upscaled. My expectations were probably too high, and I need to sit down and watch it in its entirety before sticking with my original impression.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »

I'm a bit disappointed with the image. It doesn't look all that much better than the DVD upscaled. My expectations were probably too high, and I need to sit down and watch it in its entirety before sticking with my original impression.

For some reason the local stores don't have it in stock so I ordered it from Amazon. It's scheduled to be delivered in a few days.

Anyways, it hasn't been discussed as of yet, but how does this BD compare with the Mondo DVD with restored video (by Fotocinema S.p.A.)?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »

Can't help thinking about an old Leone interview in Diego Gabutti's "C'era una volta in America" (page 37) , when he talks about OUTITW: "People very often ask me whether  my personal print of the movie contains  scenes which had not been added in the final theatrical release" he said grinning "You see? It's like everybody wants me to add a little piece to it..!"
But I think the definite answer about missing scenes in OUTITW is in Franco Ferrini's  book "L'antiwestern e il caso Leone" published in 1971. There is a part of an interview with Leone dedicated to cuts and missing scenes of all his westerns, and concerning OUTITW Leone says (page 42): "The scene with the laundry owner's wife and the sheriff is missing, another one in the barbershop, which was particularly funny" The interviewer then asks about the massacre scene (Morton's train) and Leone says: "No, that one I left out on purpose, it was more important to show the result rather than how it happened".
On page 43 Ferrini writes: "It should be kept in mind that Leone's personal print is slightly longer than the theatrical release. It has two scenes which were not added. The first one showing Harmonica rising after being wounded at the train station. This scene was not in the original script and we publish now the description based on Leone's personal print. The second one is about Brett McBains hunting scene with his son Timmy; it's much longer and detailed compaired to the commercial release.
As Ferrini had access to Leone's personal copy of the movie, I guess it is reliable.
Incidentally, the book contains the original full script for DYS, as well as the script of the missing footage of OUTITW.

This is great information! This actually means that the rising scene was always intended to be in the cut - if it's in Leone's personal print. Thanks for sharing, does Leone have anything interesting to say about the deleted scenes in the dollars trilogy?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:29:03 AM by Jordan Krug » Logged
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

This is great information! This actually means that the rising scene was always intended to be in the cut - if it's in Leone's personal print. Thanks for sharing, does Leone have anything interesting to say about the deleted scenes in the dollars trilogy?
I quote from the same book by Franco Ferrini, page 41:
Ferrini: "In your dollar trilogy, are there any scenes that did not make it into the final cut?".
Leone: "There are no missing scenes in FOD and FFDM. The cuts start with GBU, which has two scenes completely missing. One is when Tuco recruits the 3 bandits who were supposed to kill Blondie, his enemy. Then there is a scene with Blondie escaping and Tuco in pursuit. In a small village close to the border to New Mexico, he finds Blondie's trail again, while in the background peones and confederate soldiers are moving around. The soldiers are trying to recruit the peones for the war, but Tuco, thinking about the sad fate of these poor peones, proposes to collect some money and while waiting in a saloon for the collection to start, he discovers that Blondie is upstairs with a woman. In the end, Blondie manages to escape again, taking all the money raised with the collection with him, thus screwing Tuco again..."
No doubt the first scene is the grotto scene, whereas the second one is the Socorro scene, which I'm afraid we'll never see, although I personally think it must have been quite interesting and funny. These too scenes, according to Ferrini's book, where not even included in Leone's personal copy of the movie.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »

This is great information! This actually means that the rising scene was always intended to be in the cut - if it's in Leone's personal print.

Not really. This private print is not necssarily a DC.

I think if Leone wanted it in, he would have used it for the theatrical Italian version. As it makes the film more accessible. Without the scene the whole beginning is stronger, is more irritating.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:22 AM »

1. was the part of Harmonica rising included in the original USA theatrical release (which I think was about 144 minutes)?

2. I figure now may be as good as ever a time to ask if you guys think I should buy a blu-ray player? Is it worth it? I own very few dvd's anyway (less than 20); I only think it's worthwhile to buy the movie if it is an all-time fave that I will continually re-watch. Otherwise, most of my movie-watching comes from the classic movie channels on cable (particularly TCM), and some rentals from Netflix as well (my undertsanding is they have blu-ray as well)... So.. would y'all recommend I finally get with the times and buy a blu-ray player? Or, considering my viewing/owning habits, is it really not worth it?

Thanks!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »

DJ will say yes Titoli (with his new wall projection player) will say no. lol. 

Me, I have too many DVD's at the moment and no plans to upgrade soon, I don't even have a flatscreen TV yet.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »

Not really. This private print is not necssarily a DC.

I think if Leone wanted it in, he would have used it for the theatrical Italian version. As it makes the film more accessible. Without the scene the whole beginning is stronger, is more irritating.

But the answer is no longer definitive. It's not necessarily NOT a D.C. It's a grey area...why would Leone keep a scene in his own print in if he personally wanted it out? I agree with you that it was not included in the release version - but maybe somebody else made him cut it from that.

This is the first evidence I've heard that argues for the rising scene being included. Maybe this is the conclusion Scorsese et al came to. I guess we'll never know what Leone would consider the definitive version.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:57:21 AM by Jordan Krug » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »

Me, I have too many DVD's at the moment and no plans to upgrade soon, I don't even have a flatscreen TV yet.

1. I would definitely recommend getting an hdtv -- they have become relatively cheap (eg. I paid about $300 for my 22' SONY hdtv 6 months ago; you can get off-brands even cheaper) and the picture quality and widescreen are incredible

2. RE: me getting a blu-ray player: on the one hand I haven't rally built up a dvd collection yet, so maybe I should get the BRP before I do start buying lots of movies?  On the other hand, I really don't plan on buying many movies, so maybe it ain't worthwhile? If do I have the BRP then I'd be able to rent BR discs from Netflix instead of dvd's. But the majority of movies I still watch are probably on TCM... I've never seen a blu ray movie before and I am just wondering if the picture quality is that much better than dvd's to justify the cost? Especially considering that most movies I watch are old ones -- not sure if the dvd vs. BR distinction is greater or smaller on old movies?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:05:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »

I agree with Titoli, but I also think that a flat screen LCD/LED TV improves the quality of the DVD in any case. I have a normal DVD Samsung player, but when I replaced my old TV with  a Samsung 37' flat screen LCD/LED, the picture was a completely different ball game. So my advice would be forget about BR and keep your old DVD player (provided it is still in good shape), but  concentrate on the quality of your TV. Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »

I agree with Titoli, but I also think that a flat screen LCD/LED TV improves the quality of the DVD in any case. I have a normal DVD Samsung player, but when I replaced my old TV with  a Samsung 37' flat screen LCD/LED, the picture was a completely different ball game. So my advice would be forget about BR and keep your old DVD player (provided it is still in good shape), but  concentrate on the quality of your TV. Wink

I have a 22' Sony LED tv, and a Samsung dvd-recorder/VHS combo; I bought both of 'em about nine months ago

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

1. I would definitely recommend getting an hdtv -- they have become relatively cheap (eg. I paid about $300 for my 22' SONY hdtv 6 months ago; you can get off-brands even cheaper) and the picture quality and widescreen are incredible

2. RE: me getting a blu-ray player: on the one hand I haven't rally built up a dvd collection yet, so maybe I should get the BRP before I do start buying lots of movies?  On the other hand, I really don't plan on buying many movies, so maybe it ain't worthwhile? If do I have the BRP then I'd be able to rent BR discs from Netflix instead of dvd's. But the majority of movies I still watch are probably on TCM... I've never seen a blu ray movie before and I am just wondering if the picture quality is that much better than dvd's to justify the cost? Especially considering that most movies I watch are old ones -- not sure if the dvd vs. BR distinction is greater or smaller on old movies?

As far as it being worth it for older movies, it certainly depends on the studio doing the restoration and the source elements. If you see "the searchers" for instance on blu-ray it will blow you away, as it was mastered from 65 mm elements and to me it looks better than a lot of more recent films. A lot of older movies have been restored to "better" than their original theatrical presentation, the recent "Taxi driver" blu ray is stunning for instance, the godfather films are also in pristine quality on BR. If you decide to buy a player (most of which retail for $150 now) I would recommend you look up BR disc reviews before you buy, there are many poor restorations out there as well that won't show off the true capability of the format. One of my favorite sites for comparison and reviews is dvdbeaver.com - certainly to appreciate the difference in Blu Ray you'll also need a large, high quality hdtv, that's where you'll really see the advantages of the higher resolution.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:31 AM »

If you have a lot of DVDs AND are willing to buy a large flat panel display (42" or larger, with resolution at 720 or 1080), then a blu-ray player will help you get the best picture for your media. I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: if you NEVER own a BD disc, a BD player will still give you a picutre quality upgrade for your DVDs.

However, if you get most of your movie-viewing material off cable or net streaming, a player might not be worth it to you. If you don't already have the big screen TV, that's the first thing to upgrade to (since it will improve your broadcast image). Once you have the screen, you can then make the decision to add a BD player (and players have gotten quite cheap).

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

If you have a lot of DVDs AND are willing to buy a large flat panel display (42" or larger, with resolution at 720 or 1080), then a blu-ray player will help you get the best picture for your media. I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: if you NEVER own a BD disc, a BD player will still give you a picutre quality upgrade for your DVDs.

However, if you get most of your movie-viewing material off cable or net streaming, a player might not be worth it to you. If you don't already have the big screen TV, that's the first thing to upgrade to (since it will improve your broadcast image). Once you have the screen, you can then make the decision to add a BD player (and players have gotten quite cheap).

I don't see myself getting a new tv in the foreseeable future; my 22'' SONY that I bought recently is beautiful. so I guess you'd recommend no BRP for me?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM