Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  'West' blu ray May 31
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'West' blu ray May 31  (Read 53474 times)
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Just checked it. Exactly the same as in the German version.
Without this sec the scene ends too abruptly. But one will hardly notice unless he knows.

Right, the paramount version actually cuts on her second blink which is awkward (I'm an editor by trade, so one of the golden rules is don't cut on an eye blink). That extra second, minute as it is, is a better cut.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »

A wealth of info in the latter pages of this thread. This is great!

Keep up the good work.  Wink

Thanks, glad it's appreciated, but I have to admit, I do most of this for me, I have an insatiable thirst for this kind of detective work! If there's ever a blu-ray released of the italian cut, I will personally use that and the U.S. cut to restore the film to its original premiere cut. I have the equipment to do it... (add the proper shots to the opening sequence, delete the rising, fix the ending...the tricky part will be the end and where to source that from - but even today I found a version of that on youtube...so it's out there...somewhere...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »

Thanks, glad it's appreciated, but I have to admit, I do most of this for me, I have an insatiable thirst for this kind of detective work! If there's ever a blu-ray released of the italian cut, I will personally use that and the U.S. cut to restore the film to its original premiere cut. I have the equipment to do it... (add the proper shots to the opening sequence, delete the rising, fix the ending...the tricky part will be the end and where to source that from - but even today I found a version of that on youtube...so it's out there...somewhere...

Very interesting

How's about cutting a few min out of My Name Is Nobody and creating thereby a better balanced film?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »

Thanks, glad it's appreciated, but I have to admit, I do most of this for me, I have an insatiable thirst for this kind of detective work!

As long as you share the wealth, it's all good!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:43:12 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »

Very interesting

How's about cutting a few min out of My Name Is Nobody and creating thereby a better balanced film?

I'd love to see that too, but I'd shy away from making my own judgements on Leone's work and doing a fan edit. I'd rather just restore a film like OATITW to its original glory. Same with FAFDM, another Leone film that's never gotten the proper version released. As well as the original american cut of GBU in HD. I think OATITW would actually be the easiest of all 3 to do...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »

I finally watched it in its entirety and I'm less disappointed with the transfer, though the exterior scenes look a little soft and it didn't have the depth I'd expect. I obviously don't have a clue as to how the original print looked like, so there's no reference which to compare.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure this was shot in Techniscope so they are limitations to the film format.

What is the source of the German theatrical presentation on youtube? I assumed it was an old 4:3 TV recording but after comparing it to the BD it's close to 2.35:1. The sides are cropped a bit and yet the image still seems squeezed horizontally.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure this was shot in Techniscope so they are limitations to the film format.

What is the source of the German theatrical presentation on youtube? I assumed it was an old 4:3 TV recording but after comparing it to the BD it's close to 2.35:1. The sides are cropped a bit and yet the image still seems squeezed horizontally.

Ya, I don't know the source but it seems like a 16x9 (1:78/1:85) version, which is not quite right but better than 4:3..definitely a completely different film print just based on the titles alone (I'm pretty sure the most recent German DVD of the film was just the paramount version with subtitles (not actual German film titles) Based on all the little pieces of evidence I really do think it represents the original cut (minus the German dubbing and Turkish subtitles of course:)

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »

Ya, I don't know the source but it seems like a 16x9 (1:78/1:85) version, which is not quite right but better than 4:3..definitely a completely different film print just based on the titles alone (I'm pretty sure the most recent German DVD of the film was just the paramount version with subtitles (not actual German film titles) Based on all the little pieces of evidence I really do think it represents the original cut (minus the German dubbing and Turkish subtitles of course:)

I believe you're right although I don't have a copy of the previous German Paramount DVD release to confirm.

It seems the image has been stretched vertically (maybe by youtube to fit it's viewing screen?) so I did some rough editing of a screenshot. I compressed the image vertically and the aspect ratio is approximately 2.05:1.

Unedited screenshot:

Vertical compression of above screenshot:

There's roughly about this much info missing from image (shown as white bars):

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:16:48 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »

My PC is broke, and at the moment I have only one which is ok for surfing in the net, but not for much more. Apparently I can't watch that YouTube videos.

Don't know where they got that German version from. Maybe from Pay TV, maybe it is somehow the "official" Turkish version, but I doubt that, cause normally countries which don't dub use English speaking prints.

All German DVDs are the same Paramount as everywhere outside Italy.
Early German VHS releases used the German theatrical version, but I think for the Laserdisc the English version was used for the first time, and since then VHS re-releases used also the English version.

On TV we have meanwhile either the German version, or the 177 min version, for which the German dub was changed for a few lines.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

Could this be the source?

159 min runtime; widescreen

Amazon lists a VHS tape released by CIC Video GmbH with the following description:

Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod - Original Kinoformat - ca. 158 Minuten - Original Videocassette (google translation: Once Upon a Time in the West - Original cinema - approx. 158 min...)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:43:59 PM by Honest Farmer » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »

No, the Laserdisc uses as far as I know the English version. It was the first time the Rising scene was included in Germany.

The original German version was most likely released only on the early VHS tapes, but is still sometimes shown on TV.

Well, meanwhile the Paramount version and the long 177 min version are so present that most people assume it is a cut version if the Rising scene is not included.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »

The German theatrical version on youtube is definitely widescreen so it must be from either a DVD or LD unless a widescreen VHS was released as well (doubt it). Since the Paramount DVD used the English version with German dub the only source left is the widescreen LD. Of course, I could be wrong.  Undecided

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:50:27 AM by Honest Farmer » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdh71ngeoA

someone posted this link (I think it may have been somewhere on these boards a while back) and said that this is the "full" opening scene. can someone who has seen the Scorcese opening scene (and/or understands Italian) tell me if this version is indeed the Scorcese one? Thanks

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »

The German theatrical version on youtube is definitely widescreen so it must be from either a DVD or LD unless a widescreen VHS was released as well (doubt it). Since the Paramount DVD used the English version with German dub the only source left is the widescreen LD. Of course, I could be wrong.  Undecided

There were widescreen versions on VHS, but I don't know if the theatrical cut was amongst them. But as I said there were widescreen versions on Pay TV without any logos (unlike the Free TV showings).

But in the end it is not very important from which source it came.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM