Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)  (Read 18199 times)
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 06:43:33 AM »

I see Criterion will be releasing Burden of Dreams, a documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo. Has anyone seen this? Looks very interesting. My Best Fiend touched upon some of the problems in making this film, but I wouldn't mind seeing a documentary going deeper into it. The dvd will also include a short film where Herzog eats a shoe. Should be hilarious. For more info on release: http://www.criterioncollection.com/asp/release.asp?id=287&section=feature

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 08:23:02 PM »

I see Criterion will be releasing Burden of Dreams, a documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo. Has anyone seen this? Looks very interesting. My Best Fiend touched upon some of the problems in making this film, but I wouldn't mind seeing a documentary going deeper into it.
My Best Fiend actually used part of BOD for the material on Fitzcarraldo. It's been 20 years since I've seen BOD, but I remember I liked it at the time, especially after having just seen F. I'm looking forward to the Criterion DVD.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 08:29:58 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2005, 11:27:20 AM »

Is this a starter of furture things to come from Criterion? Wonder if Anchor Bays licence has run out for the Herzog Films they have released. They have been selling the Boxsets in the UK extremely cheaply at the moment. 15 a pop.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 02:49:43 AM »

I liked this quite a bit as well.

Unfortunatly there were some slapsticky moments that I thought hurt the ultra serious tone of the film. I don't mind having comedy in a bleak film but at least do it in a subtle manner.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:12:15 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »

Slapsticky? I don't recall anything like that in the film. Could you be more . . . specific?

Great Popul Vuh soundtrack, BTW. I just found the one for Cobra Verde . . . not a film I like much (although it has its moments), but the soundtrack is another great collection of Florian Fricke compositions. Could that guy write music or what?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 01:08:10 AM »

Slapsticky? I don't recall anything like that in the film. Could you be more . . . specific?

there's that scene towards the end where one of the soldiers is impaled by a huge spear and just before he dies he says (While looking straight into the camera) "I thought this would hurt more" (that is what is said in the english dub, the German dub has something more clever but it's still just as stupid).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »

Actually, what he says is something more like "I see that longer arrows are now in fashion" (which, to my layman's ear, sounds like a good translation of the German). I wouldn't call that slapstick, exactly (physical humor which is inherently funny), but I take your point; it does seem a needless breaking of the fourth wall convention, and thus, does not really serve the scene or the picture.

I find I am able to forgive the lapse. The end of the film is a descent into madness. It begins with Aguirre, but then spreads to each of the characters. Finally, the director himself is affected (thus the swirling camera around the raft). Late in the film, Herzog's judgment starts to go. A viewer who takes this film to heart should leave the cinema contemplating small acts of insanity to perform.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »

I thought Les Blank's documentary BURDEN OF DREAMS was a much better film than FITZCARRALDO. The latter picture  was for me a bit of a messy bore, with one or two good set pieces padded out to an absurd length. Herzog and his DOP Thomas Mauch seemed to have shot every sunset for months and used them in the movie. Thank goodness Herzog couldn't use Jason Robards and Mick Jagger though. The few minutes footage of them we see of them in Blank's documentary points to what an unwatchable chunk of garbage it really may have ended up as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLLr6cUs34

Blank also made the afore mentioned WERNER HERZOG EATS HIS SHOE, but I've never seen it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »

Actually, what he says is something more like "I see that longer arrows are now in fashion" (which, to my layman's ear, sounds like a good translation of the German).

On my dvd the "long arrows are in fashion" joke was on the German dub. The english dub is "I was expecting this to hurt more".

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »

Oh, I see, I was talking about the subtitle translation. It would never even occur to me to watch Aguirre with the English dub.

Juan, I agree. In the early 80s, at The Biograph in Chicago, they ran a regular double bill of Fitzcaraldo and BoD, which was great because the two films need to be considered together. I don't think you can fully appreciate BoD without seeing the other film, although, you're right, BoD is the better of the two. You are also right about the Robards/Jagger casting: Herzog feature films in English have not turned out well (is it even possible to sit all the way through Scream of Stone or Invincible? )

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »

is it even possible to sit all the way through Scream of Stone or Invincible? )

Haven't seen the former title, but I do quite like INVINCIBLE. Herzog usually can't get the tone right from performers speaking in English, as you say, but Tim Roth, reveling in the chance to act for a hero of his in a dream part, is starkly demonic. I'm sure that one day it'll be justly recognised as his best screen performance (to date at least). Sadly the rest of the cast (with most of the other leads amatures) are rather wooden.

I was working at a major London cinema when INVINCIBLE was released (indeed, we were one of the few venues to screen the darn thing), and I was offered the chance to host an audience Q&A with Herzog if he came over to promote the film (due to my success with a similar event with Jan Svankmajer). Sadly the film's distributors botched the UK release and it never happened.

Werner sends up his own image as a barmy, uncompromising visionary wonderfully in the Scottish set mocumentary, INCIDENT AT LOCH NESS. Catch it if you can.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »

Haven't seen the former title, but I do quite like INVINCIBLE. Herzog usually can't get the tone right from performers speaking in English, as you say, but Tim Roth, reveling in the chance to act for a hero of his in a dream part, is starkly demonic. I'm sure that one day it'll be justly recognised as his best screen performance (to date at least). Sadly the rest of the cast (with most of the other leads amatures) are rather wooden.
Well, Roth didn't work for me at all. He's supposed to be a nightclub performer, but he talks so low that not even patrons in the first row would have been able to hear him. Herzog doesn't care, though, so long as cinema audiences can catch every word. I hate that kind of cheating.

And as you say, besides Roth's, every other performance is solid teak.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »

I have Herzog's Nosferatu to watch...is it any good?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »

It's his best film, provided you watch the German dub. Do not go anywhere near the English dub!

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »

There is no English dub. The film was shot in both languages with all the actors speaking either English or German. There are different shots and takes in both films, obviously. Although in the germane version, there is a HUGE goof where you see Nosferatu's reflection in a mirror right after it was craftily hidden while entering the room.

While the film is exceptional,  I'm not sure about it being Werner Herzog's best film. He happens to have more than a few masterpieces under his belt.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:23:38 PM by Aguirre » Logged

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM