Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:38:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)  (Read 17977 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »

You are right, I was sloppy with my terminology. I should have said, "Flee, flee the English-language version of the film."

Even though the English version didn't come off, I do like the fact that Herzog attempted it. The idea of filming something in more than one language (you do a take of a scene in one language, then immediately retake the scene in another language) was a great idea practiced by a few directors at the beginning of the sound era (I think Hitchcock did this with one picture; was it Mary?). Great that Herzog would go back to Murnau for inspiration, and then also try something like this as well. Appropriate.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »

I've only ever seen the English language version, and don't see what's wrong with it. It has minimal dialogue anyway, and it's best sequences are all dialogue free. It also has a woderfully amusing moment in it, thanks to the antics of a goose in the hostel near the beginning, which I suspect is absent in the German film.

I don't know about Hitchcock's MARY, but he does mention in Truffaut's book that he directed German language versions of MURDER and THE SKIN GAME, because technology didn't allow dubbing at this point. DRACULA was famously shot in Hollywood by Tod Browning in English, and then by George Melford (with Carlos Villarķas as the Count) on the same sets in Spanish (aimed at a Mexican audience). Melford's picture is supposed to be much better and less stagey and dated than Browning's classic. Unfortunatly I've haven't managed to see it yet.

It's one of Herzog's best, but not THE best, for me anyway.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »

It's one of Herzog's best, but not THE best, for me anyway.
Fine. And your candidate is....?

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »

Fine. And your candidate is....?

I don't think he ever bettered AGUIRRE. It's a picture which showed us the world in way we never had before, a perfect allegory packed with unforgettable moments. Kinski on a raft alone on a vast river, dressed in rusting Conquistador armor yelling at hundreds of tiny monkeys, incredible stuff! That one piece of imigary alone was so powerful, no wonder he has never topped it, though some shots in his documentaries come close (particularly in LESSONS OF DARKNESS).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »

I like Aguirre (hence my presence on this thread) but it's always struck me as a film with no second act. Great beginning and finish, but a bit of a meander in the middle. This is often the problem with Herzog's features, as he is an intuitive creator but with a limited story sense. I am thinking here of Heart of Glass, Kaspar Hauser, Fitzcaraldo, all of which begin and end well but seem to be missing something in the center. Nosferatu, as a remake of a film with a strong story, doesn't have this problem.

Another way to approach this question has to do with the cinematographers Herzog used in the 70s, Thomas Mauch (who shot Aguirre and Fitzcaraldo) and Jorg Schmidt-Reitwein (who "lensed" Nosferatu). Both did excellent work, but I have a slight preference for Schmidt-Reitwein's images.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:21:12 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »

I really liked this one. My very short review is in the "Rate the last movie you watched" thread.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »

You may want to review your review. Kinski does not play Pizarro.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:50 PM »

Oops, simply a foolish mistake. I'll fix now, but I doubt anyone else will notice.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »

I'm seeing this in theaters in mid-July along with The Enigma of Hauser Kaspar. I've seen Aguirre, but not Enigma. Should be great!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »

Hope the prints are in good condition. I really enjoyed Aguirre in the theater (back in the day), especially the opening scene of the men coming down the side of the mountain (filmed by Herzog by pointing the camera away from  Machu Picchu). Make sure they really ARE prints that they're showing. A lot of cinemas are set up for DVD these days, and alternate projecting film and DVDs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM