Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 09:27:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aguirre: Zorn des Gottes (Wrath of God)  (Read 17732 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2004, 04:46:26 AM »

We'll get  this thread out of the GBU board finally.

Watched this yesterday, loved it!  For those unfamiliar it's directed by the German Werner Herzog, about Spanish conquistadors seeking El Dorado in the Peruvian jungle.  Our good friend Klaus Kinski (weirder than ever) leads a mutiny and the jungle proceeds to swallow everyone up.

Beautiful cinematography, shot on location around Machu Pichu - the opening scene is incredible, as the expedition descends a narrow path down a cloud-enshrouded mountain.  Kinski is great in this, and I loved the guy who played the "Emporer of El Dorado".  Leone fans will like this movie, really nasty cynical take on human nature with an absurd, ironic ending to it.  Will have to get more of Herzog'sf, it's a pity his films never get broadcast in the States.  You can't find his work in the video stores either.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:04:20 AM »

I mentioned this on the GBU board, and I'll say it again. Get Fitzcarraldo. Probably Kinskis best performance ever. He plays a crazy man with a dream of building an opera in the jungle. The film is most famous for the scene were a shit is dragged up one side of a mountain, and down on the other. The actually dragged the ship while they were making the film.

Also check out Enigma Of Kasper Hauser. It is based on the true story of Kasper Hauser, who grew up living inside a cave. Every day, a man came to him with some food. One day, he is let out of the cave, and must experience the real world, all alone. It kind of reminds me of Bad Boy Bubby, but it is much more powerful.

Herzogs "Nosferatu", with Kinski as the vampire, also looks very interesting. As for me, I will have to give Aguirre another chance. I'll probably end up buying the Herzog/Kinski dvd box, although I can't really afford it.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 07:31:10 AM »

aguirre wrath of god is one of my favourite films. so many brilliant things to it.

Klaus kinski's performance
Herzog's direction
cinematpgraphy
all the acting (apparently herzog only showed them the script on the day of the filming)
the theme
and that ending: 'I am the Wrath of God, who will follow me!'. I wont ruin the background of that line for those who havent seen it.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 04:47:01 PM »

The priest was really good, he had some of the best lines.  My favorite scene is when the emperor is writing in the trip log and states "My empire is now six times larger than the kingdom of Spain!"

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:39:58 PM »

Herzog is one my favourite 5 directors.

He is maybe the most powerfull of all from the point of view of visuals. I agree with General Sibley, the opening scene is almost umbelievable from this point of viex.

Herzog is extremely apreciated in Europe (two time winner of the Festival de Cannes), I don't know why he hasn't the same succes in Usa, but I can guess.

Maybe the reason of it is a movie wich has not been mentionned here, "Bruno S." or "Stroszek". The story of a german inmigrant in USA in the '70s (played by the same actor in Kaspar Hauser) who seeks the american dream and gets nothing but dust... The movie is powerful critic of the american dream (like Once Upon a Time in America) and the american society.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 01:35:20 PM »

My stomach was flopping during the opening scene, had the physical sensation that I was hanging over a cliff.  Spectacular visuals, I have to see this on the big screen in a dark theater - I can't believe his budget was $300,000 or so, they must have given those extras beer & bananas for pay.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »

And what do you think about the haunting and wonderful score of Popol Vuh?

By the way, Popol Vuh made the music of all the great movies of Herzog.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 03:16:29 PM »

Shorty, you're down in Argentina aren't you - you ever been up to the Peruvian Andes?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 05:33:16 PM »

And Shorty speaking of Argentina are there any good gaucho movies you'd recomend?

Just wondering, let us know.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 02:27:49 PM »

Hello friends. I am from Argentina indeed, but l have been living in France for almost 3 years now.

I have been to Peru on holydays for 6 months with a couple of friends.

It was the most powerful expierence of my life. It changed almost everything in my mind.

General Sibley, I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say that "My stomach was flopping during the opening scene". I was there, in body and soul. I was in Cuzco, Nazca, and I was in Iquique (for those of you who sawn Fitzcarraldo).

But the most outsdanding place were I've ever been in my whole life is Macchu Picchu. We made the famous "Inca Trail" four 4 days and nights and when you finished it you reach Macchu Picchu. I'll never forget it in my life, the views, the people, the athmosphere, the religious and mistical atmosphere in the air, in Peru and also in Bolivia, in a city called Tihuanacu.

There is something imposssible to explain if you've not been there. It haunts you.

I have been in Peru in 1994 and one of my obsessions is to come back and make exactly the same trail.

Regarding to gaucho movies, in my opinion (i'm a little weird like everyone here!!!!! hahahaha!!!) there is not one single good gaucho movie. But if I have to name at least one, I'll suggest "Juan Moreira" by argentine director Leonardo Favio. Check this link (is spanish, sorry): http://www.favio.com.ar/index2.htm

Unfourtunately, it can't be found on DVD.

But let me talk about an excellent argentine movie, made with a few bucks and wich I found EXCELLENT: I bought it myself on amazon.com: Nine Queens directed by Fabian Bielinsky.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 02:43:26 PM »

Nine Queens:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006G8G3/qid%3D1086899173/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-1343527-6684639

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 02:07:56 AM »

I love caper movies, and Nine Queens is an excellent example. It's funny and filled with great characters. Has a nice twist ending also.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 05:09:49 AM »

There is something imposssible to explain if you've not been there. It haunts you.

Sounds amazing Shorty.  I've never been to South America, I have to get there.  I know exactly what you mean about the haunted feeling.  There's a lot of Indian ruins in the southwest U.S., and you get the same feeling there.  Very spiritual places.  Have you been to the Black Forest yet in Germany?  If not, you should go there while you're in Europe.

Speaking of ruins.  I remember for some reason or another I had to drive through East Chicago, Indiana in the early 90's.   This was after the steel industry was in shambles, and all these factories had been shut down for ten years or so.  It was a late summer Saturday afternoon, the streets were deserted, and the sun was reflecting orange on all the rusted out carcasses of these factories - the grass and weeds had started taking over, and they were growing through the old factory floor.  Was strangely beautiful, like the ruins of some ancient civilization.  Like a dinosaur graveyard or something.

Anyway, I just ordered Nine Queens on Netflix - I hope it's better than The Great Silence  Lips Sealed

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 04:10:14 PM »

I just rented "My Best Friend" should be a hoot, I'll report back.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 04:34:44 AM »

"My Best Friend", rent it, its great, Kinsky was a lunatic from day one. Herzog lived in the same rooming house with him in the 50's.

He locked himself in a bathroom raging for 48 hours and broke everything up in it, tub. commode, sink, Herzog said you could sift what was left of the porcelan through a tennis racket. lol.

During the filming of Fitzcarraldo a native chief offered to kill him for Herzog, lol.

Other gems not to miss, also there is a bonus interview with Claudia Cardinale. Recommend it!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM