Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:52:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Alternate opening
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternate opening  (Read 21321 times)
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2004, 05:11:34 AM »

I assume most of the people on this board are familiar with the alternate opening of this film, were Harry Dean Stanton plays a judge, sentencing Clint to travel to the little town and clean it up. My question is: Has this scene been lost since it premiered on tv, or is it rotting in a vault somewhere in america. It would be great if they dug it up for a special edition dvd. I love Harry Dean Stanton.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 03:37:25 PM »

I don't think the film exists anymore, but the place I read about it said someone had an audio recording.

It's class.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:45:59 AM »

sorry to disagree with you nobody but i think it would ruin the whole mood cos the greatness of the film is that clint has no motive except his personal wealth. according to frayling u dont even see clint and the american producers made it to make the film has a 'moral standpoint'. leone would have hated its inclusion.

i think its just perfect him just arriving on his horse.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 05:38:53 AM »

I didn't mean it should be included in the film, but that they could put it on a dvd separately, as a curiosity thing. It would, of course, ruin the entire film if the film started with this scene.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 05:42:10 AM »

sorry nobody misinterpreted u there

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 11:35:46 AM »

Yeah,I'd love to see this.Maybe,with the special edition of GBU now out,they might do one of FOD and have this scene as an extra.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 10:17:05 PM »

That scene also wouldn't fit well because it would show the past of The Man With No Name, which would take away alot of the mystique and mysteriousness from his character. Frayling said that the part where Clint helps the woman and her family escapes and says that he knew someone who was in that situation is a minor flaw, because it reveals a bit about The Man With No Name's past and also shows a moral standpoint like DJIMBO said. But it might be kind of interesting just to check that scene out seperately.

Blondie
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 06:53:21 AM »

the greatness of the film is that clint has no motive except his personal wealth.

On the contrary, his personal wealth plays little part in his motives. He refuses to accept money early in the film and does not take the gold at the end. Also remember his line to the family he lets escape because he relates personally to them due to events in his own life.

sorry to disagree with you nobody but i think it would ruin the whole mood cos the greatness of the film

I think most people would agree it would be a terrible idea but I think he meant included as an extra on the special edition DVD. (Which I believe now looks likely)

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:10:36 AM »

On the contrary, his personal wealth plays little part in his motives. He refuses to accept money early in the film and does not take the gold at the end. Also remember his line to the family he lets escape because he relates personally to them due to events in his own life.I think most people would agree it would be a terrible idea but I think he meant included as an extra on the special edition DVD. (Which I believe now looks likely)

if that is the case blondie, then clint doesnt have a reason apart to piss them off, lol  Grin
Personally i think the key quote is "I dont like to take money unless i feel ive earnt it." which suggests that his motive is personal wealth but only when its deserved, if that makes sense  Wink

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 11:22:27 AM »

Apparently the scene exists and will be an extra on the new version of FOD that's coming out in `05.

More feeling.
Blondie
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 04:58:52 PM »

if that is the case blondie, then clint doesnt have a reason apart to piss them off, lol

I don't think you've quite understood Eastwood's character in AFOD. Money has nothing to do with it. There is no sign of him leaving the town with anything other than what he entered it with.

In both this film and Yojimbo the central character is supposed to be the mythical hero who rids the town of its evil. Leone made this clear. Thats why he sites the mythical hero Shane as one of the biggest influences on AFOD. The film was originally called The Magnificent Stranger.

Further, Leone's original script had a prologue dealing with No-Name's past. It was then dropped and they left the sole line that is said when he lets the family leave town. Leone felt it would make his character more mysterious. And I am certain he would have resented the notion that any of his audience would diminish his anti-hero through the belief that his actions were purely for money.

Like Eastwood's Pale Rider, his intentions are never clear but what is clear he is not out for money or to annoy the villains.  Wink

Personally i think the key quote is "I dont like to take money unless i feel ive earnt it." which suggests that his motive is personal wealth but only when its deserved, if that makes sense  Wink

Isn't it all part of his master plan to rid the town?

I mean at the finale did you see Clint loot the Rojo residence or steel any of the stolen army gold?

The Stranger leaves the town with his job accomplished. His intentions are not made entirely clear but what is clear is that he didn't leave with the town's money so we can rule out personal wealth.  Wink Cheesy Shocked Lips Sealed

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 06:33:02 PM »

Why would Clint have any *need* for money? He'd just gotten 100,000 dollars in gold at Sad Hill.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 07:55:28 PM »

Why would Clint have any *need* for money? He'd just gotten 100,000 dollars in gold at Sad Hill.
Yup, if it's the same character, he's loaded by the opening of FOD.

More feeling.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:24:34 AM »

Well, he doesn't give me the impression of being rich since he is riding a mule and not a horse... Grin

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 12:23:53 PM »

Well, he doesn't give me the impression of being rich since he is riding a mule and not a horse... Grin
Know anything about Howard Hughes?

More feeling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM