Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 02:02:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Alternate opening
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternate opening  (Read 21291 times)
Tex
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »

A few thoughts on this thread.

While I think it is unfair to view FOD through the lens of Yojimbo, I think Yojimbo may shed some light on the Joe character. In Yojimbo we have a knight of the old world, who now must wander the new world. That's all the reason he needs for wandering. There is no place for him now that the world has changed. Is Joe the same type of character? We may assume his past has been troubled (his remark to Marisol). So it seems we don't need to explain his reason for wandering into this town in the first place (chalk up one more reason not to include the prologue), but the question is more interesting when we consider his reasons for sticking around!

There's been some talk about Joe's lack of morals. I'm not sure we can say he has morals, but rather principles. Now, perhaps one could argue that his principles are merely guided by a pragmatic view of the world. This is why I prefer the term principle to moral. One might say Machiavelli had no morals, but let us never say he had no principles! Am I on the right track here? Thoughts?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »

A few thoughts on this thread.

While I think it is unfair to view FOD through the lens of Yojimbo, I think Yojimbo may shed some light on the Joe character

I wouldn't use Yojimbo as a means of showing anything about Joe. Sure, the Yojimbo story was used for FOD, but as for motivations/characteristics of the character, I don't think you can use anything from Yojimbo. The character of Joe was deliberately made very mysterious [largely due to Eastwood's insistence on trimming dialogue; initially, there was also an opening scene which explained how he got the poncho, and one that explained the story of how he once knew a girl like Marisol but there was no one there to help]; any characteristic of Yojimbo does not necessarily have any bearing whatsoever on Joe

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

I watched the alternate opening on the blu ray trilogy I bought not too long ago, and I have to say that this opening almost cheapens the entire mystery of the Joe character as well as the impact of the overall story. I hated the idea that Eastwood's character was someone else's puppet or working for someone else, rather than being the lone stranger we all know him to be. Ever since then I've discarded this opening.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »

I watched the alternate opening on the blu ray trilogy I bought not too long ago, and I have to say that this opening almost cheapens the entire mystery of the Joe character as well as the impact of the overall story. I hated the idea that Eastwood's character was someone else's puppet or working for someone else, rather than being the lone stranger we all know him to be. Ever since then I've discarded this opening.

you are taking this 'alternate opening" much more seriously than you should. it shouldn't even be called an "alternate opening." It's a fake opening that a tv network made, which aired only one time -- the very first time this movie aired on network tv -- precisely because the tv execs wanted to counteract precisely what the Joe character is supposed to be (working strictly for cash, with no morals whatsoever).

It's not an 'alternate opening," it had nothing to do with anyone who was associated with the movie. It's something to watch and laugh at and remind you about the history of, shall we say, censorship/sensitivities of primetime network television, and that's all. If it really bothers you that much to watch it cuz it ruins the movie for you, then you don't understand that it has nothing to do with the movie at all. it's no more an "alternate opening" than the introductions Robert Osbourne gives to TCM movies

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 01:07:33 AM »

I actually should've added, that if I were to picture that "alternate opening" to be part of the movie [and I know it isn't], then that's how I would feel about it. At first that's how I viewed it until I read your post.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM