Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 11:38:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jill's Voice
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jill's Voice  (Read 7118 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »

IMO it would not have been good to have Cardinale dub her own voice. She has a very heavy accent when speaking English (and that's recently, maybe it was even worse 45 years ago), so if they used her real voice then there would have to be some explanation as to why she had such an accent, where she was from, etc.

I don't grant the premise. Even if I did it's something that could be handled in a line or two of dialogue.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »

I don't know the voice actress's name, but it was definitely the same one who dues the English dub for the lead actress in The Mercenary (aka A Professional Gun).

In middle of watching The Conformist now. I am pretty sure the English dialogue for the voice of Madre di Giulia (the character played by Yvonne Sanson) is also dubbed by the same voice actress that dubbed Jill in OUATITW

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:37:09 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »

Why are you watching the English dub of The Conformist?

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Well
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

IMO it would not have been good to have Cardinale dub her own voice. She has a very heavy accent when speaking English (and that's recently, maybe it was even worse 45 years ago)...

yes, that makes sense, first in a technical aspect and second...in..., how to express it...in a feeling aspect; and do not forget that professionalism was at a full power at that time and they knew well how the voice should sound like to match the face; and they did it! Me too cant imagine there could be other voice linked to this face (now); or they made me to beleive it, and thats it! The same as Harmonica telling: Hey, the gun! You may contemplate for thousands years who could have dubbed him Smiley

P.S.

I wil google that voice suggestion in another post placed here and if any result I will share my findings or maybe just impressions.

You don't want to stay out here alone. Why not? This is my home.
Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »

Forgive me for not being caught up on all the details of who dubbed over who's voice.  I have read over this thread, but still have some questions as I am fairly new to OUTIW. 

I understand Cardinale's voice wasn't used for Jill, but obviously Cardinale was still saying things for the filming of the movie.  Was she speaking English the whole time?  Were there any mics even present?  Do those recordings exist anywhere?  I haven't watched OUTIW yet with the intention of determining if the lips even match the same language as the audio. I'm sure I would have noticed easily if the entire movie was in a different language, but does every character speak English in every line of the movie? 

I definitely have noticed that the audible experience with OUTIW is a very unique and rich experience, but I'm not very used to the idea that actors would be speaking English on film, and receive separate English audio dubs into the sound.  I'm a little bummed that Cardinale's voice wasn't used for the dub actually. It feels a little impersonal.  It's only a minor detail, nothing to make me love the movie less, but I wish I didn't know that fact.  Oh well though, I haven't actually heard her voice I don't think.  I did watch Girl with a Suitcase which was in Italian with English subs.  Does anyone know if that was her real voice?  Now I'm curious to what she really sounds like.

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 01:12:05 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJS_-3vUBA

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 01:14:06 AM »

Forgive me for not being caught up on all the details of who dubbed over who's voice.  I have read over this thread, but still have some questions as I am fairly new to OUTIW. 

I understand Cardinale's voice wasn't used for Jill, but obviously Cardinale was still saying things for the filming of the movie.  Was she speaking English the whole time?  Were there any mics even present?  Do those recordings exist anywhere?  I haven't watched OUTIW yet with the intention of determining if the lips even match the same language as the audio. I'm sure I would have noticed easily if the entire movie was in a different language, but does every character speak English in every line of the movie? 

I definitely have noticed that the audible experience with OUTIW is a very unique and rich experience, but I'm not very used to the idea that actors would be speaking English on film, and receive separate English audio dubs into the sound.  I'm a little bummed that Cardinale's voice wasn't used for the dub actually. It feels a little impersonal.  It's only a minor detail, nothing to make me love the movie less, but I wish I didn't know that fact.  Oh well though, I haven't actually heard her voice I don't think.  I did watch Girl with a Suitcase which was in Italian with English subs.  Does anyone know if that was her real voice?  Now I'm curious to what she really sounds like.

I'm sure Cardinale was saying the lines in English - the lip movements match the dialogue well (as opposed to some of the dubbing of the European actors in FOD/FAFDM, whose lip movements clearly don't match the English dialogue).  And Cardinale speaks English well, albeit heavily accented, in recent interviews. I'm not sure if she spoke it as well in the '60's, but based on the lip movements, I'm sure that she was speaking the correct English dialogue.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 01:21:25 AM »

Here is a much earlier interview, from 1972 (or 4 years after OUATITW) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R7s5A0hTggs

Yeah, she speaks English well, but heavily accented. I'm sure she is saying the lines in English. No use wondering whether Leone coulda shoulda woulda used her voice. The voice actress he used is pretty good; that voice will always be Jill's for me. (Of course, it helps a lot that OUATITW was the first movie I ever saw Cardinale in, so I didn't know it wasn't her voice.) And btw, that voice actress does have a very slight accent - so if you want to imagine Jill as a sexy French or Italian whore, you still can  Wink

OUATITW is damn near flawless (with the exception of the distributors screwing up the end music; I listen to the correct music on my iPod when watching it)  Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:56 AM »

And btw, that voice actress does have a very slight accent - so if you want to imagine Jill as a sexy French or Italian whore, you still can  Wink
OUATITW is damn near flawless (with the exception of the distributors screwing up the end music; I listen to the correct music on my iPod when watching it)  Smiley

And Jill's character was from New Orleans so an accent would have worked regardless and been believable.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM