Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 12:23:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jill's Voice
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jill's Voice  (Read 7090 times)
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2003, 11:19:31 PM »

Does somebody know why Leone replaced Claudia Cardinale's voice in OUTIW? Is it because of her accent?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 01:08:36 PM by Sanjuro » Logged

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 07:52:48 AM »

That is a good question, whoever dubbed her sounds like she has a bit of an accent too. Was she dubbed in the Pink Panther?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 01:15:37 PM »

I watched "Professionals" on TCM. Cardinale was speaking with her own voice. She speaks good English with a slight accent. Her voice is very husky. The voice-over talent who replaced Cardinale's voice in OUTIW did for other actresses in other movies too.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Chasman
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 09:26:26 PM »

The best info says Cardinale was dubbed by a woman named Joyce Gordon. Here's a link to an old article that primarily concerns her husband, Bernard Grant, who also did his share of dubbing:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/6053/ar7104a.html

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 09:46:52 AM »

I don't know why Claudia Cardinale was dubbed. She speaks a very good english, with an accent of course, but Jill's caracter has an accent too.

So what's the point?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 10:32:21 AM »

Whats the point... exactly, she was supposed to be from New Orleans heavily French-Spanish-Creole mix, it would have been not un-plausable at all for her to have an accent.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 10:35:30 AM »

Are we really sure that it's not Claudia Cardinale's voice?

I saw her on italian tv and her voice didn't seemed so differnet form Jill's to me?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 04:06:42 PM »

Jill's voice is definitely not Claudia. The Joyce Gordon answer is the most widely accepted.
I once read that in her early Italian movies, Claudia was regularly dubbed by another Italian actress. I believe there was some resistance to her husky voice.
I once saw a documentary that claimed it was common practice in Italy to film an actor or actress in a movie, and then use a different actor or actress to dub them in the Italian Language version.
This sorted the problem of good-looking actors/actresses who didn't have good voices.

The Well
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »

Jill's voice is definitely not Claudia. The Joyce Gordon answer is the most widely accepted.
I once read that in her early Italian movies, Claudia was regularly dubbed by another Italian actress. I believe there was some resistance to her husky voice.
I once saw a documentary that claimed it was common practice in Italy to film an actor or actress in a movie, and then use a different actor or actress to dub them in the Italian Language version.
This sorted the problem of good-looking actors/actresses who didn't have good voices.

would appreciate if this could be known for sure; we all know the magnificient face and should like to know perfect matching voice; if anybody cares, can conclude?

You don't want to stay out here alone. Why not? This is my home.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »

Plenty of movies with Claudia speaking English in her own voice (The Pink Panther, The Professionals). Very husky and heavily accented, neither of which applies to Cardinale's dubbing voice in OUATITW. It's strange that they didn't get her to dub her own voice though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »

Plenty of movies with Claudia speaking English in her own voice (The Pink Panther, The Professionals). Very husky and heavily accented, neither of which applies to Cardinale's dubbing voice in OUATITW. It's strange that they didn't get her to dub her own voice though.

She could easily have been an Italian ex-whore from New Orleans.  Cool

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:03:09 AM »

Technically a Tunisian-French-Italian whore.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »

It's strange that they didn't get her to dub her own voice though.
Who is "they"? You mean Leone and his creative team?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »

It's a plain and fancy they! That's who "they" is!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

IMO it would not have been good to have Cardinale dub her own voice. She has a very heavy accent when speaking English (and that's recently, maybe it was even worse 45 years ago), so if they used her real voice then there would have to be some explanation as to why she had such an accent, where she was from, etc.

Considering that they weren't recording direct sound anyway, I don't think it was a bad idea to use a voice actress.

I don't know the voice actress's name, but it was definitely the same one who does the English dub for the lead actress in The Mercenary (aka A Professional Gun).

Frayling says that Cardinale wanted a part in OUATIA (I believe the part of Carol), but it wouldn't have worked with the accents. (About 2/3 of OUATIA was recorded with direct sound).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:34:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM