Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 11:45:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  were Jill and Brett McBain really married?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: were Jill and Brett McBain really married?  (Read 15535 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:12 AM »

Before reading this discussion nothing ever made me doubt about Jill and Brett marriage. After, I remain of the same idea.
There is a clue that convince me to believe Jill was not lying about her marriage: when Brett is talking to his elder son (Patrick?), he refers to Jill as "his mother", and he replies that his real mother was dead.
So, I guess Brett uses this expression just because he had married Jill, also with the intention to give a "new" mother to his children.
I think he would have not talked that way if they were just engaged or simple lovers.

so if they were about to get married in a few hours, you don't think Brett would have used the word "mother" yet?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »

so if they were about to get married in a few hours, you don't think Brett would have used the word "mother" yet?

I could be wrong of course and your guess makes perfect sense too, but my opinion also comes from the idea I made of  the character of Jill through the whole movie. I mean: what her character is metaphor of.
She represents the hope in the future, she is the symbol of the transition from the old world, the old West,  and the new world that is going to be born with the railway construction. She is the "trait d'union" between the old times and the modern times. So, to me, absolutely a positive character.
But maybe it's me to be too romantic and not enough cynical to see a different interepretation....consider I fell in love with Claudia Cardinale since the first time I saw her getting off the train in Flagstone (and I was only eight)....

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »

Sorry Drink, you seem to be grasping at straws at this point.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »

Sorry Drink, you seem to be grasping at straws at this point.

I was never married to this theory. Just floatin it out there  Wink I thought it was just mighty convenient that she says she is married when she realizes Brett is dead (and all the money wouldn't have belonged to her if they weren't married yet).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

Maybe most of the fuzz has escaped me, but allow me to ask - what does it have to do with OUATITW? Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »

Are we even sure she only searches for money? I always thought she searched for the reason Brett was killed.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »

Are we even sure she only searches for money? I always thought she searched for the reason Brett was killed.

Right! I had thought that too and forgot about it in the heat of this discussion. Cheesy

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

Yeah, me too... Embarrassed

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »

first thing we see in the house is her looking through the drawers... how can she expect to find the reason Brett was killed there?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »

There could be letters or something like that...

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »

.....Or lots of money.
Ultimately that is the reason for the McBains' murder. So by rooting around looking for money etc she is inadvertently looking for the motive.....or "The Why"! Though I doubt the motive is what she is interested in at the beginning.
Remember Cheyenne says that he could see she had been busy looking for a heap of "whys"...the round, yellow ones that go DING!
Have to admit I never thought about whether Jill was bullshitting about being married or not.
It's an interesting point!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 01:57:37 AM »

Well, there certainly are many whys and hows - both for Jill and the viewer.
There's certainly the why, if Brett was murdered for money, the farm hadn't been - and looked - ransacked before Jill started her search.

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »

By murdered for money I didn't mean a heap o' gold on the farm or whatever: nothing so direct as that.
I meant the money and power that Morton (and by now, Frank) is driven by and that continues to motivate him and thereby motivates the shooting.
Sweetwater represents money to both McBain and Morton: "The Why".

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:27:30 AM by El_Chuncho » Logged

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »

Oh, I know that. I mean and meant, we know that now that we've seen the whole film, but at the point Jill is looking for that something, she does not know about Morton and the Sweetwater deal, and if you're a first time viewer, neither do you.

We should, I think, try to keep that first time viewer mindset, because at the time OUATITW was shot, there were no DVD's and no playback option. You went to a cinema and watched a film end on end. In most cases, what you got from that viewing was what you had and what you could draw your conclusions about the story on. Unless you got a chance to see it twice, which does not always happen with cinemas.
So the reasons and puzzles I tried to list here in this thread (rather inconsistently, I know) were more or less what I can recall of my first impressions and opinions.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:49 AM »

I saw it in cinema this Sunday, and I noticed something I had not paid so much heed to before that makes me certain now that yes, they were married.

When Jill is ransacking the drawers, at one point she takes out a small white bouquet (lillies of the valley? - apparently a favourite for weddings) and lingers over it for a very short moment. I realised that that must be her wedding bouquet which Brett kept as a memento - why else would it be there?
And I don't mean that question just in terms of the world of the film; I think it's a visual clue to the viewers: here's a bittersweet memory.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM