Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:21:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Godfather vs. OUATIA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Godfather vs. OUATIA  (Read 28101 times)
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 07:31:49 AM »

After you've seen TG you just take the DVD out of the player and start doing something else,after you've seen OUATIA you just can't stop thinking about it,no matter if you've watched it 50 times before it...That is something only Leone's films have,the abiliy to take the film out from the screen and put it in your living room...every segment of it...brilliant!!!!!

No other film can do that so intensively,with the sounds of melancholy and sadness playing around you,inviting you to deal with it...That's Leone!!!!!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »

That's a good point, Tuco.  "The Godfather" films, as good as they are, are rather blatantly commercial and not terribly complex.  In re OUATIA, however, I still haven't worked out all the plot twists satisfactorily after three complete viewings and watching certain scenes innumerable times.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »

Plot twists? I just want to know what the door motif is all about.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »

That's a good point, Tuco.  "The Godfather" films, as good as they are, are rather blatantly commercial and not terribly complex.  In re OUATIA, however, I still haven't worked out all the plot twists satisfactorily after three complete viewings and watching certain scenes innumerable times.

It's not that difficult to follow, at least I think so. I understand everything in the movie except for one thing: the three gang members looking for Noodles in the beginning, who were they sent by? And why? That's the only thing I don't get. I always thought they were some of Frankie's men.

The surrealistic stuff like the truck at the end are not meant to be understood because they are left open for interpretation by the audience.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:56:42 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 02:43:11 AM »

I think they're both incredible movies, but like some people have said already, they're very different.  The Godfather is a very easy movie to love.  There's a good reason why AFI rated it as the third best American film ever.  OUATIA is not an easy movie to like.  However, I think in a way it's deeper and more complex than the Godfather.  This doesn't make it better, just different.  The main thing that OUATIA has over The Godfather in my opinion is the directing.  Sergio Leone is probably my favorite director.  the reason why The Godfather was so great wasn't really because of Coppala.  granted he clearly did a great job, but his most important role was picking the cast.  A director working with that cast, that script, and that story, doesn't really have to do too much.  Plus he had Nino Rota's incredible music.

I always wonder, though, what The Godfather would have been like if Leone had directed it.  That would have been one heck of a film!

Anyway, in my opinion you guys are comparing two of the world's finest movies, and it's impossible for me to say which one is better.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »

Plus he had Nino Rota's incredible music.
Which Rota recycled from an earlier film. He knew he was doing hack work.

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »

Would you really call The Godfather hack work?  I guess I'm having trouble with the fact that so many people on this forum don't really like it.  I thought everyone liked The Godfather.

By the way, have you heard the original music that Nino Rota borrowed from?  He changed it quite a bit, and it was just one of the themes.  To say that he simply recycled an old score that he had written a long time ago is completely not ccorrect.

Tim
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »

Would you really call The Godfather hack work?  I guess I'm having trouble with the fact that so many people on this forum don't really like it.  I thought everyone liked The Godfather.

I certainly wouldn't call it hack work.  Just watched Godfather I and II last night on TCM, and I love them more than ever.  I've never been a huge fan of OUATIA, I like it but not on the same level as other Leone movies, but I'll always rank the first two Godfather movies above OUATIA.

And just cause a movie is more "commercial" doesn't mean it can't be good.  And JB, your point about Coppola having to do the most work before filming The Godfather is right on.  He found the perfect cast, a great composer for the score, and was able to make one of the best novel-to-screen adaptations ever, thanks in great part to Puzo.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2006, 05:18:48 PM »

I love The Godfather films, alot but I must admit to prefering OUATIA. I have great respect for FFC and I saw the Godfather before OUATIA and it blew me away but as an experience, America left a little more lasting impact on me.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
bdsproductions
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »

The Godfather.

Sorry, as good as Once Upon a Time in America is, The Godfather is better.

It has a better story then Once Upon a Time in America, better acting, better everything.

Once Upon a Time America is in the top 30 movies of all time though, not dissing it, just saying The Godfather is extremly close to being the best movie ever made.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 12:40:14 PM by bdsproductions » Logged
mal247
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »

Once upon a time in America does have some flaws but if Sergio had been allowed to make the film as he really wanted, it perhaps would have gained the accolade of being the greatest film ever made.

The Godfather 1 & 2 were good but Once upon a time in America is much more than just a gangster movie - you might as well try and compare a lion to a tiger and say which one is better. Viewers will form their own opinions but Once upon a time in America touches me, because of my own experience of unreciprocated love, much more than The Godfather films ever could.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 05:21:46 PM »

I can't say enough how disapointed I was with OUATIA.  I really don't think it's a good movie, and I don't undertsand people's comments that essentially say, "I didn't really enjoy the film at all, but technically it's a masterpiece".  I go to a film to enjoy myself, think about things, get a different perspective and escape.  Not to admire some film tech snobbery.
Well, yes, but OUATIA has more going for it than that. Sorry you were disappointed, but I suggest you wait and give it another try. It can really grow on you.

bdsproductions
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »

I loved it, just I found it in need of editing (love Sergio's long shots, but De Niro wandering through New York got tiresome), but, like I said before The Godfather>The Godfather: Part II>The Godfather: Part III>Goodfellas>Mean Streets>Once Upon a Time in America.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »

This is the way i see things:

The Godfather-One of the best movies ever made but rarely can i view more than once

OUATIA-One of the best movies ever made and is very highly re-watchable

so in all OUATIA wins for me

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »

what he said Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM