Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:53:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cheyenne breakout
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheyenne breakout  (Read 5591 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:49 AM »

Cheyenne doesn't have a problem with Morton? Not sure I buy that one. "You leave a slime behind you like a snail. Two beautiful shiny rails."

As for your second point, Morton only sent one of his men to Flagstone. There's a very brief scene (a single shot really) of one of Morton's guards saddling up and riding away from the train shortly after the poker scene. We see this guy chatting with Frank's men in Flagstone and convinces them (presumably monetarily) to turn on Frank.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:22 AM »

Yes, there are still as lot of Frank's men at the train to guard Morton.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »

Cheyenne doesn't have a problem with Morton? Not sure I buy that one. "You leave a slime behind you like a snail. Two beautiful shiny rails."

As for your second point, Morton only sent one of his men to Flagstone. There's a very brief scene (a single shot really) of one of Morton's guards saddling up and riding away from the train shortly after the poker scene. We see this guy chatting with Frank's men in Flagstone and convinces them (presumably monetarily) to turn on Frank.

1. Cheyenne was after Frank cuz Frank framed him for the murders. I don't think he loved Morton, cuz Morton was Frank's employer. But I do not think we ever see any reason why Cheyenne should have anything against Morton himself.
Do you think Cheyenne was really after Morton when he and his men presumably chased them down and began a firefight after escaping the train to Yuma; or do you think he was after Frank whom he believes was still with Morton?

2. Thanks, I just watched that scene again, and yes, you are right. For some reason I always assumed that Frank's men who take the money from Morton in the poker game were the same ones who die in the shootout with Frank and Harmonica in Flagstone; but now I see that three of the four of 'em stayed on the train with Morton; only one of 'em rode to Flagstone to inform the others   (presumably the ones that attended the auction on Frank's behalf) that they were now working for Morton; and they all died in the shootout with Frank and Harmonica in Flagstone.

Which i guess leads to the question: why did 3 of Frank's (former) men remain on the train with Morton and send only one to inform the others that they were to kill Frank? Why didn't they all ride to Flagstone? stanton says in the post above that they stayed to guard Morton, but now that they are working for Morton, they no longer need to follow Frank's orders to guard Morton on the train? (I guess you can answer that they wanted to stay with Morton cuz they didn't fully trust him yet; eg. perhaps they wanted to make sure they got the rest their money when the job was completed?)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:17:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

Or maybe to protect him in case Frank comes calling afterwards. If I were Morton I certainly wouldn't want to be left alone on a stationary train with at least three guys gunning for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 05:41:24 AM »

Or maybe to protect him in case Frank comes calling afterwards. If I were Morton I certainly wouldn't want to be left alone on a stationary train with at least three guys gunning for me.

Yeah, that makes sense. So the three guys stayed back on the train to protect Morton, in case either a) Frank's men would not agree to turn on him, and instead come after Morton; or b) in case they were unsuccessful at killing Frank, who would then come after Morton....

Thanks  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »

No sweat. It's definitely a confusing scene and a lot of people trip over it. Once you've seen the film about thirty or forty times it becomes clear. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 12:53:03 AM »

No sweat. It's definitely a confusing scene and a lot of people trip over it. Once you've seen the film about thirty or forty times it becomes clear. Afro

haha yeah, I constantly have new questions about Leone's films, no matter how many times I have watched 'em  Afro

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM