Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:05:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fight the good fight....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fight the good fight....  (Read 4108 times)
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »

Hombres & Senoritas_______
I found this website setup to bring attention to the many cuts in FAFDM.

http://www.forafewdollarsmore.net/

Quite an in-depth site: he's even collated the various releases over the years and given the pros and cons of each one (apparently the Italian dvd IS uncut but, sod's law, only available with Italian dub)
Also there's a message board.
He's hoping to get a lot of signatures via the site and facebook, in order to eventually petition the powers that be to finally release what I know we all agree is a long overdue complete movie.
It may not go anywhere but I'm spreading the word via facebook anyhow to get as many as possible to "like" the page (even to those who aren't interested in the film)
So may I suggest we all join the fight?

Couldnt hurt could it?

Chuncho.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:40:51 PM by El_Chuncho » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »

thanks Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:29:42 AM »

Gotta be worth a shot!  Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »

Someone has claimed that newer editions of the German release are slightly longer and contain the uncut beating scene. But I never tried to varify it.

Frankly said I never bothered about these minor cuts in FaFDM. The beating scene is not a good one, and doean't get better if uncut.

I'm more interested in the original theatrical version of OuTW with German, English and Italian audio, which never was released on any DVD. And as bonus the longer version only released on the Italian DVD.
Too bad that I have to live with the English version for an Italian film.

And I want a DVD with the mono audio of GBU (again preferable in Italian, German and English).

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »

I bought the German boxed set on that premise, it had a few extra bits added but was still missing quite a bit.
btw the beating scene isnt actually cut: Indio stops the violence in this scene with a fairly sizeable portion of dialogue where he lets everyone in on a plan. A plan he later reneges on in collaboration with Nino. So it is a fairly important twist in the story. This is available on the German print but isnt available on any others.
There's several other admittedly minor cuts here and there but the most obvious and annoying to me is the crude cut of Indio's manic laughter after he's broke from jail, I have it in its entirety on an old vhs and honestly Stanton if you saw it you'd probably agree that the version that's available to us at the moment is fairly shabby in comparison.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

The German disc has the dialogue back (which is missing from all the other English language discs) but the beating itself is still missing like 10 seconds or so.

As far as OUATITW goes, the upcoming Blu-Ray releases (US disc is out in three weeks) are supposed to feature two versions of the movie (or maybe I'm imagining it...) with neither one probably being the one that is on the old Italian CVC disc.

EDIT:
Paramount Home Entertainment has just announced ANOTHER of our favorite films here at The Digital Bits for Blu-ray release: Sergio Leone's legendary western Once Upon a Time in the West will officially arrive on Blu-ray Disc on May 31st! No, I'm NOT kidding! SRP is just $19.99! The set will include BOTH the theatrical cut and the extended version of the film, English 5.1 DTS HD-MA audio (along with restored English Mono, and French and Spanish mono), and all the extras from the previous DVD release, including audio commentary (with contributions by directors John Carpenter, John Milius and Alex Cox, film historians Sir Christopher Frayling and Dr. Sheldon Hall, cast and crew), 5 featurettes (An Opera of Violence, The Wages of Sin, Something to Do with Death, Railroad: Revolutionizing the West and Locations Then & Now), a production photo gallery and the film's theatrical trailer (we suspect in HD).

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:30:47 AM by Sundance » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

I bought the German boxed set on that premise, it had a few extra bits added but was still missing quite a bit.
btw the beating scene isnt actually cut: Indio stops the violence in this scene with a fairly sizeable portion of dialogue where he lets everyone in on a plan. A plan he later reneges on in collaboration with Nino. So it is a fairly important twist in the story. This is available on the German print but isnt available on any others.
There's several other admittedly minor cuts here and there but the most obvious and annoying to me is the crude cut of Indio's manic laughter after he's broke from jail, I have it in its entirety on an old vhs and honestly Stanton if you saw it you'd probably agree that the version that's available to us at the moment is fairly shabby in comparison.

Ahh, ok... that's possible, I have to check. I didn't notice that there was something missing, and always thought only the beating scene was cut. Again a problem of an English master. I'm  somehow sure the original German cut was complete.

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »

They are only very minor cuts.
The only reason I notice 'em is that I was obsessed with this film when I was 12 or so and watched it almost religiously.
Also bugs me because I know they are there (if you know what I mean Smiley )
Just think its strange as what they have cut out probably amounts to no more than 2 or 3 minutes of film time in total, and I can't see the motives for it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18:18 AM »

BTW El_Chuncho, Since you are familiar with "A Bullet for the General" do you know of  or are familiar with a DVD release that has Volonte dubbed by the same voice actor that dubbed him in "Fistful" & "For a Few Dollars More". There is supposed to be one, rather than the one we have here in the US released by Anchor Bay.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »

The second Koch DVD contains both English dubs.

But is oop

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »

BTW El_Chuncho, Since you are familiar with "A Bullet for the General" do you know of  or are familiar with a DVD release that has Volonte dubbed by the same voice actor that dubbed him in "Fistful" & "For a Few Dollars More". There is supposed to be one, rather than the one we have here in the US released by Anchor Bay.

Nope sorry Joe afraid not. I've got the anchor bay dvd as well!
I might watch my mate's old vhs copy, though I've a feeling it'll be the same as ours.

And Stanton: what does the "Koch" dvd refer to?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:15:13 PM by El_Chuncho » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

Koch Media GmbH distributed this DVD title in Europe.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »

The disc in question is this one http://www.amazon.de/T%C3%B6te-Amigo-Lou-Castel/dp/B000VLD9GK/

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »

Cheers for the info hombres, I might invest in that: See if it's got the better Volonte dub like Joe mentions.
btw I love the Klaus Kinski cover (obviously for the German audience)...My German FAFDM has a front cover featuring Manco, Mortimer and err....Wild the Hunchback! Grin

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 05:48:24 AM »

Yeah, Klaus sells always a few DVDs more. There was even a FaFDM VHS cover with only Clint and Klaus.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM