Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 05:59:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Obscure OUATITW reference in Kill Bill 1?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obscure OUATITW reference in Kill Bill 1?  (Read 2742 times)
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2004, 03:44:46 AM »

This may be a bit obscure, but in Kill Bill vol 1, when Uma Thurman wakes up from her coma and flashes back to some quick cuts of Bill shooting her, there is a close up of a 45 calibre Colt revolver that seems to me to be exactly the same shot of the close up of Frank's revolver before he shoots Timmy at the end of the McBain massacre. It's a long lens, focus on the end of the barrel, almost identical framing. Is this a subtle reference to that shot from OUATITW? Given that QT is such a Leone fan, maybe he had this in mind. After all, why would Bill, in modern times, be carrying a western style Colt 45 revolver? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Ify
Chicken Thief

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:15:40 PM »

This may be a bit obscure, but in Kill Bill vol 1, when Uma Thurman wakes up from her coma and flashes back to some quick cuts of Bill shooting her, there is a close up of a 45 calibre Colt revolver that seems to me to be exactly the same shot of the close up of Frank's revolver before he shoots Timmy at the end of the McBain massacre. It's a long lens, focus on the end of the barrel, almost identical framing. Is this a subtle reference to that shot from OUATITW? Given that QT is such a Leone fan, maybe he had this in mind. After all, why would Bill, in modern times, be carrying a western style Colt 45 revolver? Or am I just reading too much into it?

I was thinking the exact same thing, as i watched Volume 1, it totally reminded me of that scene in OUATITW and because of the various other spaghetti western references i thought this might have been intentional!

"This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -Quentin Tarantino
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 02:17:30 AM »

Yeah, according to IMDB :

"The gun that Bill uses appears to be a Colt Single Action Army, or "Peacemaker", Bisley model (due to the curved design of the grip). It is obviously chambered for .45 Colt as seen on the back of the bullet fired in the internal gun shot in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)."

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 07:54:33 AM »

Another reference occurs at the beginning when the bus pulls away to the right of the frame with the actors in the foreground.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 07:50:14 AM »

I noticed these two homages in Volume 2- after the DIVAS enter the chapel and kill everybody, the longshot is similiar to the panning shot during the final flashback scene in OUATITW. Also, the sound of the bells is like the part in OUATITW when Harmonica falls down and his brother gets hanged, with the haunting noise of the bell ringing in the background.

Another reference in Volume 1 is the watermill during the O-Ren/Bride fight, similiar to the one in OUATITW at the beginning.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 07:52:45 AM by Il Tramonto » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM