Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Track 5 on extended soundtrack intended for Socorro sequence?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track 5 on extended soundtrack intended for Socorro sequence?  (Read 5485 times)
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »

I recently listened to the entire extended soundtrack and noticed 47 secs into track 5 titled, "Il Ponte Di Corde" ("Rope Bridge"), music I hadn't heard before: CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Was this intended for the Socorro sequence?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »

I asked this same question about a decade ago when I first got the extended CD, anddidn't get an answer.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »

Part of that track plays when Tuco survives the desert and enters the town (where he makes himself a gun) through the rope bridge. Am I wrong?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »

Yea that's the rope "suspension"  bridge before the gun shop sequence

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

So the mystery is solved.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »

I have a hunch this unused music was for the Socorro scene for 2 reasons:

1) If we can reasonably assume that the Socorro and cannon duel were the only 2 scenes deleted (aside from the grotto scene that has found its way back into the MGM extended cut), then the more playful feel of track 5 is consistent with the happenings of the Socorro sequence (i.e. Blondie having a laugh at Tuco's expense) but obviously not the cannon duel.

2) Consistent with Track 3 grouping the soundtracks of 2 scenes where Sentenza kills Baker and roughs up the fresh young whore Maria, Track 5 groups Tuco's post-desert rope bridge scene with this mystery music.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:38:26 PM by eurospec19 » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »

I do not know what ''Il ponte di Corde'' means, but ''il ponte di corda'' literally translates to ''rope (aka suspension, as CJ mentioned) bridge''. The only explanation is that perhaps some illiterate moron, that didn't even bother to even watch the movie, thought Tuco arrives to a town called ''Corde'' (Roll Eyes).

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the mentioned Socorro scene, my memory still serves me well, here's the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okatGBShes&feature=related

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »

Dust Devil, maybe I'm misreading your posts above but I just want to clarify that track 5 is comprised of 2 separate soundtracks. You're right the first 46 seconds of the track are used when Tuco is crossing the rope bridge and ends when Tuco reaches the water trough. However, the remaining 1:05 of track 5 is not used in any available cut of the film. My guess is that it was intended for the Socorro sequence.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:04:11 PM by eurospec19 » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »

Dust Devil, maybe I'm misreading your posts above but I just want to clarify that track 5 is comprised of 2 separate soundtracks. You're right the first 46 seconds of the track are used when Tuco is crossing the rope bridge and ends when Tuco reaches the water trough. However, the remaining 1:05 of track 5 is not used in any available cut of the film. My guess is that it was intended for the Socorro sequence.

I understand, don't worry, but I think that's just a common thing with soundtracks. Not the whole piece can always be implemented into the scene. I've seen it before. Plus, the second part of that track seems like a slight variation of another one on that CD. So, yeah, it is possible it was intended to be used in the S scene, but without any sort of hint pointing in that direction, we're really shooting the breeze here. Wink

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:14 PM »

So, yeah, it is possible it was intended to be used in the S scene, but without any sort of hint pointing in that direction, we're really shooting the breeze here. Wink

Yeah, it's only speculation and we'll never know for sure unless The Leone Family comes forward with new revelations about any lost/deleted scenes.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »

Yeah, it's only speculation and we'll never know for sure unless The Leone Family comes forward with new revelations about any lost/deleted scenes.

Or Ennio Morricone.. Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:26:12 AM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »

Wasn't the soundtrack for GBU completed prior to shooting? If so, then Mr. Morriconne must have composed the music for the scenes that didn't make the final cut, no?

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »

I don't have anything to add just that I love any decent discussion about the soundtrack.
I think everyone has covered in this thread anything that I could have added.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »

I have a hunch this unused music was for the Socorro scene for 2 reasons:

1) If we can reasonably assume that the Socorro and cannon duel were the only 2 scenes deleted (aside from the grotto scene that has found its way back into the MGM extended cut), then the more playful feel of track 5 is consistent with the happenings of the Socorro sequence (i.e. Blondie having a laugh at Tuco's expense) but obviously not the cannon duel.

2) Consistent with Track 3 grouping the soundtracks of 2 scenes where Sentenza kills Baker and roughs up the fresh young whore Maria, Track 5 groups Tuco's post-desert rope bridge scene with this mystery music.

Well, I'm pretty sure I was wrong about linking track 5 with the Socorro sequence. See Music Score in the Grotto Scene thread for explanation.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM