Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:14:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Songs..., Stuff and my first post ;-)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs..., Stuff and my first post ;-)  (Read 1829 times)
beachem
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »

There are two kinds of people in this world; those who dig what a great movie GBU is, and those who don't. I...do.

Just signed onto the board and wanted to give a few thoughts, as well as a few questions.

Have loved this movie since I was a kid (okay, am confessing to my 50's geezerhood).  It appealed to me on so many differing levels.  As a spagetthi - western, as my first real intro to Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood, as a Civil War movie, as a comedy (one bastard walks in, another bastard walks out!), as a tragedy (I've never seen so many men wasted so badly!) and as an amazing soundtrack and drama (Ecstasy of Gold showdown).  So many great mini-scenes in one movie, you have to watch it several times to take it all in.  Truly a classic movie for the ages that will outlive all of us ;-)

A few questions...

1.  During the introduction song, there's a chant that I can't quite make out (and I don't speak spanish or italian)... it sounds like  "Go go go Pago!"  Does anyone know what they're saying, or is this just another great Leone sound device?

2. The gun that Blondie uses to do 'the cutting" seems a bit new as a rifle, for 1862.  Was this a legit rifle to use or an anachronism?

3.  I really appreciated the timeline thread that was done.  Outstanding.

That's all for now folks!  Thanks for your time and I look forward to any responses.

Cheers,
Frank Beachem

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »

Tremendous anti-war film.

El Gorila
Chicken Thief

Fist Full of Nanners

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

I always thought the chant in the song sounded like they were saying,( Go, Go, Go ,Manco !)
It sounds like the name Manco is  used as a chant in several different tracks on the soundtrack.
I figured it might be a nod to FaFDM.
 Of couse the chant could also be heared as (Go Joe, Go Manco !) In which case it would reference FFoD as well.
I ain't sayin' thats what they're singin', but thats what it sounds like they're singin'. Wink

Carson, Carson, nice to meet you Carson, I'm King Kongs grandfather, What was that you said about those nanners ?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »

2. The gun that Blondie uses to do 'the cutting" seems a bit new as a rifle, for 1862.  Was this a legit rifle to use or an anachronism?

Good spot, its a Winchester, disguised as a 1860 Henry (which were available during the Civil War), they (Sergio's armorer's)  removed the wooden fore stock and shot it at angles to hide the side loading gate.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
beachem
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:05:50 AM »

Thanks much for the responses all around.

Here's a link to an article about the Henry rifle.  If only Arch Stanton had had one of these, perhaps he wouldn't have been in a grave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

Cheers,
Frank Beachem

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »

If only Arch Stanton had had one of these, perhaps he wouldn't have been in a grave.

That's exactly why he ended in one before schedule, if you ask me. Tongue

Welcome to the boards, enjoy your stay! Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
beachem
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:09 AM »

Arch would probably have had an 1861 Springfield; good musket, but no match for a Henry.  Oh well, at least he didn't end up in a grave marked, "unk... unk.... unknown... "

Cheers,
Frank
 Grin

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

The gun that Blondie uses to do 'the cutting" seems a bit new as a rifle, for 1862.  Was this a legit rifle to use or an anachronism?

I guess you're not a fan of the "Blondie was actually an inventor and was just doing an extended field test with his prototype rifle" theory....

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM