Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 12:41:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening  (Read 14739 times)
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »

For those of you who walk miles for a camel: The FILM LOUNGE, a film club I co-founded last winter,
presents a Leone - Night on Juni 1, 19:30. We will screen one of the last surviving German 35mm prints
of GBU + four 35mm Scope Trailers of Leone's 60's western. On a very big screen, nice old cinema from
the 50's (284 seats). The location is B÷blingen near Stuttgart.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:50:31 AM by mike siegel » Logged

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

Lucky!

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »

nice  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:05:41 AM »

Nice one Mike.

Out of curiosity, if "zwei" means "two" then who out of the three is being overlooked? I'm guessing "Angel Eyes"?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »

Of course, Sentenza is "only" the baddie. And therefore not one of the scoundrels (or rogues).

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

Thought as much.

Not the best title IMO. Having said that, the German name for DYS does sound pretty good to me (not that I actually understand German very well so I'm not really qualified to comment).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:21:17 AM by Novecento » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »

I knew I'd heard this title somewhere before. Wasn't this German title the original working title for GBU:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1048.0

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:15 AM »

Yes, it seems it was an original working title, and unfortunately the Germans adapted it for their title.

2 glorreiche Halunken ... arrhghhhh ... a very bad title. For a newspaper edition of the DVD the English title was used in bold, and the German one appeared only much smaller beneath.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »

Did this 35MM print have the opening credits and character titles in German?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

I checked my TV recordings.
I still have a copy from the first German broadcast of GBU in 1983. But as it was cut by 20 min I filled it up with the full screen Warner VHS tape. So it is a mish-mash version.

The credits are in German, the order follows the MGM version (LvC and Wallach not directly after Eastwood like in the Italian version), but the "clouds" in which the titles appear are from the Italian version.

The only part of the credits from the VHS I retained is the title itself, cause that was in English. So the VHS must have had different credits. Strangely the naming of the 3 leads within the film is here (in the Warner VHS) first in Italian, but at the end then suddenly in English.

I also checked a mid-90s broadcast of the 175 min version. This was now a copy of the Italian version (provided with the 1967 German dub) with the better looking Italian credits and the differently cut torture scene, and, surprise, surprise, the short "Sorry Tuco" scene at the end is in this version.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:25:58 AM by stanton » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »

Stanton, I'd really appreciate it if you could quickly scan through your copy of the 1983 German broadcast and let me know whether or not it includes the following:

1) Shorter version of the first scene where Al Mulock and his 2 "pals" attempt to capture Tuco. The shorter version does NOT have the clip of the tall/skinny bounty hunter turning to his right as shown below:

2) Shorter dining scene: AE and Stevens have fewer spoonfuls of stew before Stevens speaks. The shorter version does NOT include slightly wider shots of AE and Stevens eating. Stevens also looks down momentarily as shown below:

3) Includes Blondie holstering his pistol after shooting 3 bounty hunters.

4) The infamous "Tuco flip" transition is included (i.e. the flip/wipe effect after Tuco says "He understands nothing about Tuco, nothing!" and bites the cigar.

5) Shorter sequence of 3 bandidos approaching hotel room 4 to gun down Blondie, which does NOT include the footage below of the confederates leaving town:

6) Blondie turning around to see Tuco in hotel room window is shorter; Blondie does NOT glance down (at Tuco's boot) as shown below:

7) Missing the clip of the brick wall exploding immediately before the floor collapses and Tuco falls with it:

8.) Fades to black (intermission) right after Tuco gets face washed with coffee and Blondie passes out in bed.

9) Includes Blondie tipping his hat to Tuco just after "Sorry, Tuco"

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:25:14 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 02:28:18 AM »

Uuuh, that sounds like work ...

Which versions have these clips and which not?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »

Uuuh, that sounds like work ...

Which versions have these clips and which not?

The version described above is found on the 90/93 MGM LD and Spanish DVD. A small group of us have a hunch that this is the original theatrical release version (i.e. International cut). I'd really like to verify this with a pre-90's TV presentation from Germany and France.

Obviously, VERY few people would still have an old TV recording. You're probably the only one on this forum with a German TV capture from the 80s. I don't think it will take more than 15 minutes to skim through your recording and determine whether or not the above scenes are included.

I'd really appreciate if you could do this for us.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:37:10 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »

It will take much more than 15 min, but of course I will do it.

The Spanish DVD you mentioned is the first one, from the late 90s. and you say it is not identical to the first US DVD?
And these scenes are in every US DVD and Blu, but not on the LD?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »

It will take much more than 15 min, but of course I will do it.

The Spanish DVD you mentioned is the first one, from the late 90s. and you say it is not identical to the first US DVD?
And these scenes are in every US DVD and Blu, but not on the LD?

Thank you!  Afro

If you focus on only those scenes I described above it should save you time and we'll have enough info to figure out what version it is.

The Spanish DVD was released sometime in the 90s by filmax not MGM. I don't know the exact date. It was sourced from a Spanish theatrical print and it's identical to the 90/93 LD but not the 98 DVD. You can view it on YouTube here: http://youtu.be/YRvB2L14OS8

The scenes above are in every MGM home release from the 98 DVD/LD onwards. They are absent from the 90/93 LD and Spanish DVD (filmax).

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:45:32 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM