Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:02:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening  (Read 15794 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

Ahh, ok, but it's surprising that the first dVd is not identical to the LD. I thought it was the international version.

Let's see:

1) The shot and 2 others are missing. That's the Warner VHS, cause the first scene was completely cut from this TV version.

3) The holstering is in it, but it is also on the Blu. So ... ? Another scene?

4) The flip is in it. Wow, can't believe that it is not on the Blu. I will also check the other TV recording which was taken from an Italian master.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:56:30 PM by stanton » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

5) - 7) Yes, all 3 are not in the TV version

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »

Thanks for checking Stanton!

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

4) The infamous "Tuco flip" transition is included (i.e. the flip/wipe effect after Tuco says "He understands nothing about Tuco, nothing!" and bites the cigar.

Why do you refer to this as infamous? I'm feeling out of the loop...

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

Thanks so much, Stanton. It sounds like your 80's TV recording is indeed the "International Cut".

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »

Why do you refer to this as infamous? I'm feeling out of the loop...

I was just being silly. There's nothing infamous about it.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 02:36:08 AM »

8 ) The intermission fade is there

9) Blondie tips at his hat.
Why you are asking for this and the holstering in #2 ? are these things different on the LD? These 2 parts are identical on the Blu, the TV version and also on the Italian one.

I also compared the Italian based version for the above things. The flip is there and the intermission fade also. Otherwise all is identical to the Blu. And to mention it again, this Italian version contains the "Sorry Tuco" scene, which it seems is missing from all (most?) Italian DVDs and Blus.

I also stumbled over some information about the first German DVD: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=815&vid=3026

I always thought that it must be identical to the UK DVD, but it isn't. The runtime is 155:03 min (Pal runtime) and it seems to have (apart from 2 censorship cuts) the same trims as the TV version. He even mentions 3 more of these short trims. One is when Tuco takes a bath. On the Blu and the Italian version he pours 4 glasses with soap in the tub, but on this DVD only 2. And on my TV version also only 2. What's on the LD?

And which are the exact runtimes for the LD and the Spanish DVD?

And what is the exact runtime of the first US DVD?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:10:30 AM by stanton » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. All evidence points toward this broadcast, the Spanish DVD, and 83/90/93 LDs having the IC, not the 98 DVD.

The holstering was cut from the 98 DVD but was included in the 98 LD as well as the 83/90/93 LDs. I remember reading somewhere that Blondie tipping his hat may have been cut from some releases. Just thought I'd ask.

Was the 175 min Italian version only broadcast on German TV in the 90s? It wasn't available as a home release? Could the German DVD you linked to be this version?

Nice observation on the Tuco soap/bath scene. I wasn't aware of this difference. The Spanish DVD and 83/90/93 LDs show Tuco pour only 2 glasses of soap, whereas the 98 DVD shows him pour 4 glasses.

I'll have to get back to you on the runtimes.  What would be the most accurate way of determining this?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

The only part of the credits from the VHS I retained is the title itself, cause that was in English. So the VHS must have had different credits. Strangely the naming of the 3 leads within the film is here (in the Warner VHS) first in Italian, but at the end then suddenly in English.

I distinctly remember watching a version like this, with the character titles in both English and Italian, many years ago. It had to be on VHS. I've read online that others recall seeing this version too.  Since I'm in Canada it had to be NTSC and likely a rental . I wonder if Warner was the Canadian distributor in the 80s?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:36:11 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 02:15:04 AM »

Was the 175 min Italian version only broadcast on German TV in the 90s? It wasn't available as a home release? Could the German DVD you linked to be this version?

Only on TV.

The same with the 178 min version of OUTW. They compiled a German version by using the old dub, re-dubbing the one line which was new, and changing a few wrong parts of the dub. It was since the mid-90s often broadcast, but since the rights of the long version do not belong to Paramount the only Home video versions here are exactly the same as in the rest of the world.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. All evidence points toward this broadcast, the Spanish DVD, and 83/90/93 LDs having the IC, not the 98 DVD.

The holstering was cut from the 98 DVD but was included in the 98 LD as well as the 83/90/93 LDs. I remember reading somewhere that Blondie tipping his hat may have been cut from some releases. Just thought I'd ask.

Nice observation on the Tuco soap/bath scene. I wasn't aware of this difference. The Spanish DVD and 83/90/93 LDs show Tuco pour only 2 glasses of soap, whereas the 98 DVD shows him pour 4 glasses.

The holstering is also mentioned as missing in this comparing of the first DVD (should be the same as the one linked above in reply 21) and the 2004 DVD:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1622

There are 2 more short trims mentioned towards the end.

And in the linked DVD from reply 21 are also 2 more brief shots mentioned which are missing.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:28:47 AM by stanton » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

98 DVD duration is 02:42:15

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:06 AM »

That's over a min longer than the international version should run.

Then we can figure that the first DVD was already taken from an Italian master (the same one which was used for the 2004 DVD), but all the scenes which weren't dubbed yet were cut out and offered as bonus. Maybe the same Italian master from which UA compiled back in 1967 the 161 min version. Which then (probably) was not 100 % identical with the Italian theatrical cut. Hence included the "Sorry Tuco" scene and a differently cut torture scene.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »

Now that we have a better understanding of what the "International Cut" really was, it's worth revisiting (if you haven't already read it before) DVD Savant's blog about the MGM home releases from the 1990s onward. He was involved in the creation of the 1998 DVD and therefore provides valuable info about the sources used.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

Link?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM