Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:03:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ZWEI GLORREICHE HALUNKEN 35mm screening  (Read 15910 times)
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »

The Mondo runs 174:07 according to a German film database.

This is the correct duration of the Mondo BD but the exit music fades out prematurely. The exit music on the Italian CVC DVD, Spanish DVD, and the MGM DVDs and BDs (haven't checked the LDs) does not fade out prematurely so I'm confident it should play in its entirety. We're missing about 28 seconds of music so I estimate the total running time to be 174:35.

I've confirmed the duration of the Tuco torture scene on the Mondo BD to be 4:54. The extended torture scene on the MGM BD is 6:52. So the estimated total duration of the Mondo BD with the extended torture scene is 176:33 from the opening credits to conclusion of the exit music.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »

This is the correct duration of the Mondo BD but the exit music fades out prematurely. The exit music on the Italian CVC DVD, Spanish DVD, and the MGM DVDs and BDs (haven't checked the LDs) does not fade out prematurely so I'm confident it should play in its entirety. We're missing about 28 seconds of music so I estimate the total running time to be 174:35.

I've confirmed the duration of the Tuco torture scene on the Mondo BD to be 4:54. The extended torture scene on the MGM BD is 6:52. So the estimated total duration of the Mondo BD with the extended torture scene is 176:33 from the opening credits to conclusion of the exit music.

Is this total time including "sorry Tuco?"

(And Stanton I am using a Kodak film calculator app and I got the same seconds time for 4840 meters...2:56:26, to answer your earlier question)

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »

No, with "sorry, tuco" included we're at a runtime of 176:49.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »

Also, the CVC DVD is missing about 11 seconds of footage during the Tuco torture scene.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2014, 02:06:39 AM »

How about "Play Me the Song of Death" instead of OUATITW? Please don't tell me you like that one any better!

That's a tricky one.

Actually it sounds great in German, and it could be a great title for the film, if it was Leone's title. But it is very far away form the intentions of the actual title.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2014, 02:10:15 AM »

(And Stanton I am using a Kodak film calculator app and I got the same seconds time for 4840 meters...2:56:26, to answer your earlier question)

meters X 52,6 : 24 : 60

4840 m X 52,6 : 24 : 60 = 176,79 = 176:48

But if you use a app it is most likely a little bit more precise. Probably the 52,6 is slightly rounded.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »

meters X 52,6 : 24 : 60

4840 m X 52,6 : 24 : 60 = 176,79 = 176:48

But if you use a app it is most likely a little bit more precise. Probably the 52,6 is slightly rounded.

Nice, this is like math class in school where you can't just give the answer, you have to show how you arrived there Smiley very nice work Stanton. Maybe the app is wrong? I like your number better with the number that lil brutto arrived at above...

"No, with "sorry, tuco" included we're at a runtime of 176:49."

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

Now more funny news.
Actually most Blu Rays do not work with exact 24 fps, but indeed with the 23,976 fps which represent the NTSC standard. This makes the Mondo Blu slightly shorter. One nice guy from a German forum (who owns the Mondo) told me that the exact theatrical runtime would then be 173:55 min.

Phew, now we lose again 12 sec.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:29:24 AM by stanton » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

Actually most Blu Rays do not work with exact 24 fps, but indeed with the 23,976 fps which represent the NTSC standard.

Are you sure about that? Why would that be the case unless it was a direct port of some NTSC footage?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »

We've been focusing on any official releases or TV presentations before the mid-90's where they were more likely to be sourced from a theatrical print. So far we've confirmed your 80's German TV capture and the Spanish filmax DVD are the IC. It would be nice to have confirmation that the French release was also the IC. We'd need an early TV recording to confirm this, which may be a long shot.

It took nearly 2 years but I finally obtained a digital copy of a France 3 TV broadcast from the 90s that proves the French version is the International Cut with French credits and onscreen character titles. It is identical to the US version (i.e. no further censorship cuts were made), which contradicts what SL said:

From Conversations Avec Sergio Leone (french book)

Q: WHY are the different versions in countries?

A: the French version is the longest. I supervised dubbing in English and French[/b], I choose all the actors, from the largest to the smallest role. I fully assume the responsibility of the finished work.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:59:05 AM by Lil Brutto » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »

Thanks for confirming that. I wonder why Leone thought the French one was longer then?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »

I don't know, although it's pretty well established that you couldn't rely on what he said.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »

Thanks for confirming that. I wonder why Leone thought the French one was longer then?

I really think that if you take into account that each country did their own censorship in addition to the cuts made to the international cut, perhaps the French left the international cut "as-is". Since he lived in Europe, the English cut that Leone might have seen released or been familiar with is the u.k. Version, which was was censored more than the American/Canadian.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »

Who knows? That mean really needs to come back from the dead and be given a memory booster and some truth serum so he can clarify a few things.  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM