Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:42:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Comancheros (1961)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Comancheros (1961)  (Read 11569 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »

If there's any criticism to be made, it's that the main plot takes awhile to get going . . .
Yeah, like that PoS GBU.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

And the great thing about is that I'm free to change it anytime I want. I was a bit harsh the first time around, knowing it was one of Leone's favorite AW I guess I was expecting a masterpiece no less. Now I'm objective enough to say it's a decent Western. Nothing special in terms of artistic achievement but unpretentiously entertaining enough in the borders of its genre.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 04:10:09 AM »

By coincidence I watched it again yesterday...

I love that film. One of my favorites. It must have been quite hip
when it first came out, it's still so fresh. Monument Valley was photographed
so different in comparison to all the Ford films shot there. Looks fantastic.
Duke is at his best as in the other films he did around that time, HATARI!, LIBERTY VALANCE,
NORTH TO ALASKA.
Great great soundtrack. Close to M 7 Bernstein did previousely, but still unique.
Lee Marivin is a knockout, some fun, some violence, most of the dialogue works very well.
It has some flaws like the awfully bad re-shot scene with Duke & Ina Balin, some sloppy action shots
and the last reel which seems a bit rushed.
All in all a bit uneven but surely MOST ENTERTAINING.
And inspired. One of Michael Curtiz' best. Although I presume Wayne had a strong
influence as Curtiz was already very ill:

(Curtiz is standing in the middle)

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »

If Michael Munn is to be believed, a good deal of the movie was directed by Wayne.

I remember hearing the music for this in a semi-recent Simpsons episode.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 08:02:12 AM »

Blu-ray!
The Comancheros: 50th Anniversary Edition (and The Hustler: The 50th Anniversary Edition) on 5/17 The Comancheros will include audio commentary (by Stuart Whitman, Nehemiah Persoff, Michael Ansara and Patrick Wayne), 2 featurettes (The Comancheros and the Battle for the American Southwest and The Duke at Fox: A Two-Part Documentary), a vintage Comancheros comic book gallery, A Conversation with Stuart Whitman (Audio Only), Fox Movietonews: Claude King and Tillman Franks Receive Award for The Comancheros, theatrical trailers and 24-page book packaging.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »

Blu-ray!
Blu-ray in da house! Huuaahh, mon sewer!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »

Let me know how it is Jenkins.

I'm waiting for a price drop. I wish they didn't release it digi book form, which means it will always be reasonably expensive. I really dig the movie but I don't want to spend more than 15 on it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »

Took it for a spin last night: the image is fabulous, without spots or speckles (or reel-change marks), absent any obvious DNR, showing a reasonable amount of grain, with bright colors and pleasing fleshtones. It is not as sharp as a film made in 2011, but that's to be expected. I don't know if restoration was done or if Fox had pristine elements in their vaults waiting to be used, but the end result is a picture better than anyone could have expected for a 50 year-old film that isn't part of the Bond franchise.

Some of the extras are quite nice. There is a quick but reasonably thorough overview of the 40-year war with the Comanches that also explains who the historical Comancheros were. There's a 3-part puff piece called The Duke at Fox which, I gather, was shown on the Fox Channel and is entertaining but without a lot of substance (it does show clips of other Wayne films in HD, though). There is an audio commentary but I haven't listened to it yet. The feature I got the biggest kick out of was the digital version of The Comancheros comic book that Fox commisioned Dell to bring out in 1961. It features representations of the actors that appeared in the film, and operates almost as a set of storyboards (but in color). Interestingly, the comic was put together early enough in the production process that it retains things that were changed in the final cut of the film. There is a deleted scene and an ending that is substantially different from the one we now have. Way cool.

The bottom line is: if you have any affection for this film at all, you need this release. I'm sure it will be discounted before too long, and if not, attractively priced copies will begin appearing in the used markets.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »

Thanks a lot for that info. It just shot up my 'will buy soon' list.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

The BD receives effusive praise here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Comancheros-Blu-ray/21657/#Review

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM