Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2018, 09:50:15 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Rockford Files (1974-1980)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Rockford Files (1974-1980)  ( 5835 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #15 : July 16, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

I think the episodes where Rockford is working various cons are working best, at least they seem to be channeling the old Maverick series.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #16 : July 21, 2011, 04:23:14 AM »

You guys are right the second season has veered from the more formulaic first season, and is more enjoyable as a result.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17 : July 21, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »

It's the season where Stephen J. Cannell really comes into his own as a writer. Compare the episodes written by others that year: "The Hammer of C Block" or "Joey Blue Eyes", say. They aren't bad episodes by any means, but fairly typical of TV crime stories of the 70s. Then look at the ones Cannell was chiefly responsible for creating: "The Real Easy Red Dog," "Chicken Little is a Little Chicken," "2 Into 5.56 Won't Go," and (my favorite of Season 2) "The No-Cut Contract." Not only the titles, but everything about those episodes is off-beat. This was Cannell stretching the envelope of formulaic PI dramas, and doing it with a lot of humor. This is Cannell in his prime.

Then after Rockford he created the A-Team, and it was all downhill from there.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18 : July 21, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »

I'm then more enthusiastic about the 1st season so far.

The last 3 I have watched belong to the best:

10   In Pursuit of Carol Thorne
11  The Dexter Crisis
12  Caledonia-It's Worth a Fortune

Most of the early screenplays are based on a story by co-creator Roy Huggins, who wrote 16 of the 24 episodes and the pilot, but after episode 1.20 never returned.

« : July 21, 2011, 01:07:51 PM stanton »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19 : July 21, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »

Most of the early screenplays are based on a story by co-creator Roy Huggins, who wrote 17 of the 24 episodes and the pilot, but after episode 1.20 never returned.
In spite of the fact that Huggins created Maverick and co-created The Rockford Files, perfect vehicles for Garner, Garner, according to Huggins, couldn't stand the man. I guess that made working together kind of difficult.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20 : July 21, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »

Another writer of importance at this period is Juanita Bartlett. She has a writting credit on the 1st Season's best episode ("Counter Gambit") and wrote several good ones for Season 2: "The Farnsworth Strategem," "The Great Blue Lake Land and Development Company," and "The Girl in the Bay City Boy's Club."

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #21 : July 23, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Yeah, Bartlett (also the producer of the series) wrote nearly as much episodes as Cannell. Both more than 30, which is more than half of the show. And she also wrote some of the Rockford TV movies made in the 90s.

Another prolific writer was David Chase, the Sopranos creator, who wrote 16 episodes from season 3 - 6.
Only that I don't remember his episodes from my last re-watch in the early 90s. But I remember that I back then thought that the best were the ones by Cannell and the 2nd best the ones by Bartlett.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #22 : July 23, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »

But I remember that I back then thought that the best were the ones by Cannell and the 2nd best the ones by Bartlett.
That's pretty much my take too.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : July 29, 2011, 05:09:19 AM »

"The Hammer of C Block" was excellent  O0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #24 : July 29, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »

"The Hammer of C Block" was excellent  O0
Then you'll be happy to know Issac Hayes comes back twice more in the series.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #25 : January 02, 2018, 06:03:38 AM »

Anybody here who can give me the runtimes from Season 6?

I have read that the original film elements of that season were lost in a fire, so that only masters form re-broadcasts could be used, and apart from a lesser picture quality these were shortened versions.

The German DVDs for all seasons were made from German TV masters, but half of them are cut too by 3 - 6 min. From season 6 at least 5 episodes are uncut, maybe then longer than the the ones on the US DVDs.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines