Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The best movie ever made...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best movie ever made...  (Read 66106 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Today at 05:02:42 AM »

Pacing and Tuco ARE why I say Once is the better film.  The GBU dragged in numerous places. Tuco bordered on slapstick...

That's exactly what everyone who dislikes GBU always gives for a reason, I call it the Tuco Factor. Me I think he's great, if I'm in the mood for a serious Western I go OUATITW if not I choose GBU.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Today at 06:46:30 AM »

That's exactly what everyone who dislikes GBU always gives for a reason, I call it the Tuco Factor. Me I think he's great, if I'm in the mood for a serious Western I go OUATITW if not I choose GBU.
That's pretty much the way I roll, too. Which is why I've seen GBU about 10 times more than West.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: Today at 06:51:27 AM »

From a technical standpoint, OUATITW is better than GBU but the difference isn't as great as between GBU and everything that came before. I think the difference isn't enough to differenciate the two movies for most people (it could be enough for me).

GBU is easier, lighter and funnier to watch.
OUATITW is more serious, ambitious and sad.

So it really depends on your mood. I have a strong preference for OUATITW because I have a thing for ambition and it talks to me on a deeper level (while the teenage nihilism of GBU is borderline ridiculous), but I've watched GBU more often.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:53:05 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Today at 08:37:53 AM »

They are both fabulous movies, but GBU had too many instances where Leone wanted me to accept the implausible.  The scene were Blondie is rescued by the mortar fire.  The whole scenario where Angel Eyes suddenly pops up with RANK and RUNNING a prison camp. I didn't like the civil war angle of the movie at all and felt it padded down and dragged the movie.  Tuco is OK, but bordered on slapstick.  Again, GBU is a great movie. I just think that Once Upon a time is the more serious and plausible movie. If i was a professor giving a class to art or film making students, Once would be the movie i would use to teach...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Today at 08:54:05 AM »

They are both fabulous movies, but GBU had too many instances where Leone wanted me to accept the implausible.  The scene were Blondie is rescued by the mortar fire.  The whole scenario where Angel Eyes suddenly pops up with RANK and RUNNING a prison camp. I didn't like the civil war angle of the movie at all and felt it padded down and dragged the movie.  Tuco is OK, but bordered on slapstick.  Again, GBU is a great movie. I just think that Once Upon a time is the more serious and plausible movie. If i was a professor giving a class to art or film making students, Once would be the movie i would use to teach...

Angel Eyes doesn’t merely “pop up” running the prison camp in the long version - there Is an explanation at the “fort scene”: the Confederate soldier tells him that if Bill Carson is alive he would be at Betterville. This explains why Angel Eyes specifically enlists to work at Betterville. Assuming he had been an officer before the war, it’s not implausible that he enlists and asks to be assigned to the prison camp.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: Today at 09:08:32 AM »

Both films are 95% implausible to me Grin
But both also work in their own world. GBU is supposed to feel cartoonish.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Today at 10:02:36 AM »

Angel Eyes doesn’t merely “pop up” running the prison camp in the long version - there Is an explanation at the “fort scene”: the Confederate soldier tells him that if Bill Carson is alive he would be at Betterville. This explains why Angel Eyes specifically enlists to work at Betterville. Assuming he had been an officer before the war, it’s not implausible that he enlists and asks to be assigned to the prison camp.

Ok. I have to go back and rewatch that scene.  What about Blondie being rescued by the mortar fire? lol   I'm just kidding. Like i said, and noodles pointed out, GBU was intended to be more of a "fun" movie, whereas Once never, ever intended to be that way...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM