Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2018, 11:13:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What four hour version? Deleted scenes?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: What four hour version? Deleted scenes?  ( 8571 )
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« : March 14, 2003, 07:17:21 AM »

Someone mentioned in another discussion a four hour version of OUTIW.  So I ask myself: 'Is there a four hour version?'  I would be very eager to know more about this...  

Also, are there known deleted scenes of the film?  Maybe the DVD will bring relief on this one...  

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Mannaja
Road Apple

Something to do with death...

« #1 : March 14, 2003, 11:27:31 AM »

I was the one who mentioned the four hour version of OUATITW and I`m relying on information that I read in the Video Watchdog magazine. According to Tim Lucas, Paramount unearthed a four hour print in bad condition sometime around 1996 (not sure of the year). In the documentary "Once upon a time - Sergio Leone", James Woods speaks about this version and he says that during the wrap party of OUATIA, Leone showed the four hour cut. He claims that it blows all other versions away. Guess weŽll just have to wait and see what version will end up on the SE DVD. Keep your fingers crossed  :)

« : March 14, 2003, 11:29:09 AM Mannaja »
Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #2 : March 15, 2003, 03:25:27 AM »

Wow!  Imagine that!

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #3 : March 15, 2003, 10:39:19 AM »

I have a book called Sergio Leone by Oreste De Fornari.In the section on OUATITW,it lists several scenes deleted from the film,than it says that,and I quote,'these scenes were put back into the edition restored in 1995 under the direction of Clavier Salizzato...................It is 11 mins. longer thaan the original'.So there WAS a longer version released,but only in Italy{it,s an Italian book translated into English}.the same thing happened,according to the book,to Fistful Of Dynamite.

It would be great if the DVD has these deleted scenes,even if  seperate from the film as most people would be able to record it on to video and edit the scenes in.

Chasman
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #4 : March 15, 2003, 11:29:15 AM »

Actually, I believe Paramount didn't have a 4 hour print but tried to get one from the Leone family for a laser disc release. I remember talking to Tim Lucas about this for a few moments at a Chiller Theater convention. He said that after a management change at Paramount. the whole issue died. If anyone ever comes across James Woods, nail him on this issue. If he says it blows every other version away, then he must know what the additional material is. I'd be happy just to know of one scene that's never been referred to before in any article or book on Leone or his films.

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

« #5 : March 30, 2003, 08:12:16 PM »

There is a DVD available of OUATITW but only in italian and no english subtitles, only italian and this version is 175 minutes long, plus, it's a restored version, so I suppose that some of these deleted scenes could be in. I saw it on eBay but also on some other sites. This DVD is only PAL region 2. I also have a biography book of Leone and it mention a specific scene where harmonica is beaten up by Frank's gang, but I'm not sure about a 4 hour version but I gotta see it if it exist!

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #6 : April 01, 2003, 09:28:25 AM »

This DVD sounds like it,s the same as the longer italian version I referred to,I,d love to get my hands on it but  if an English-lang. version is coming out than I,llwait.According to the book I mentioned,the extra scenes are-

On arriving in Flagstone,Jill offers Sam two banknotes if he will take her to Sweetwater in his agon.

Harmonica is lying on a bed in a room above Wobbles, laundry.The proprietor,s wife,a Mexican woman,enters and offers herself to him.He asks her to massage his feet,which she does.Suddenly the woman,s hands are
replaced by the two strong hands of a man.Three tough guys beat him upand push him into a stable where the sheriff awaits him.The latter has found a long leather coat just like the ones used by McBain,s murderers.Harmonica puts on the coat-it is too short for him.The sheriff is convinced of his innocence,than Harmonica beats up the three tough guys and leaves.

An official of the bank shows Jill a certificate that McBain had entrusted to him 15 years before-it is a deed to the Sweetwater property.

Harmonica and Cheyenne look admiringly at the facade of the station they have constructed.

Just before the auction,Harmonica watches Frank having a shave through a window.He sees Jill arrive in a wagon with one of Frank,s men.

After the surprise intervention of Cheyenne and Frank at the auction,a man rushes to the barbershop to tell Frank.

Three scenes are longer-
Harmonica gets up again after the opening duel
the McBains return from the hunt before their massacre
Harmonica follows Wobbles to Morton,s railway car.

Hope this is of interest

Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #7 : April 01, 2003, 10:31:55 AM »

Gee, thanks.  Sounds great, especially the second scene described...  Looking forward to the DVD!

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #8 : April 01, 2003, 03:33:40 PM »

There was an interesting note in Prof Frayling's Spaghetti Western book regarding the scene which you describe below:

"Harmonica is lying on a bed in a room above Wobbles, laundry.The proprietor,s wife,a Mexican woman,enters and offers herself to him.He asks her to massage his feet,which she does.Suddenly the woman,s hands are
replaced by the two strong hands of a man.Three tough guys beat him upand push him into a stable where the sheriff awaits him.The latter has found a long leather coat just like the ones used by McBain,s murderers.Harmonica puts on the coat-it is too short for him.The sheriff is convinced of his innocence,than Harmonica beats up the three tough guys and leaves."

Frayling says that Leone decided to drop this scene during shooting, and transferred some of the dialogue to another scene where he felt it would work better. Consequently this scene should never be restored into the movie, because the repeated dialogue would make the sequences seem ridiculous.

Grand Epic
Road Apple

Operatic

« #9 : April 17, 2003, 01:31:15 AM »

I was the one who mentioned the four hour version of OUATITW and I`m relying on information that I read in the Video Watchdog magazine. According to Tim Lucas, Paramount unearthed a four hour print in bad condition sometime around 1996 (not sure of the year). In the documentary "Once upon a time - Sergio Leone", James Woods speaks about this version and he says that during the wrap party of OUATIA, Leone showed the four hour cut. He claims that it blows all other versions away. Guess weŽll just have to wait and see what version will end up on the SE DVD. Keep your fingers crossed  :)

I'm rather envious of James Woods now.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #10 : January 02, 2004, 05:06:06 AM »

Thanks for describing the extra scenes,Jon.The three longer scenes are included in the DVD version and in the official longer version (the 159? minutes version).I think the Harmonica beat-up scene was the longest of those.I'm not sure of that,it just feels it would be.

mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

« #11 : June 10, 2004, 10:32:34 PM »

many of the deleted scenes include:

harmonica beaten up by the sherrif's men.
Jill receiving documents for Sweetwater.
Frank having a shave.
Harmonica pausing with regret before using Cheyenne as payment.

When someone does you in, pray that they know where to shoot.

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

« #12 : June 11, 2004, 01:03:39 AM »

So does anyone know if Woods was telling the truth or is this 4 hour cut just a rumor?

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #13 : June 12, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »

Some years ago, I saw OUATIA once again on TV and I was really surprised to see a scene when harmonica gets up after the opening duel. As far as as I noticed it  was the only change, but it left me very intrigued.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #14 : June 12, 2004, 01:13:36 PM »

Sorry, I meant OUATITW, of course.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines