Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:27:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Number of bullets in calloways gun???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Number of bullets in calloways gun???  (Read 2606 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »

The other day I think I spotted another continuity error in the opening of FAFDM, besides the obvios wanted poster. When LVC knocks on the door to calloways hotel room, the calloway fires 4 shots at the door. then LVC kicks the door in, sees that his target is escaping, heads downstairs and shoots the horse and nails calloway in the shoulder. but then calloway draws his gun and fires 5-6 shots at van cleef. when did he reolad??? Smiley

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »

No doubt, that is a blatant error. But then again, when has any Western ever been concerned with re-loading? Pretty much the only time Westerns are ever concerned with that is when during a shootout, suddenly the bad guy has  a clear shot pointed at the hero and pulls the trigger and then..... the chamber happens to be conveniently empty!

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is one Western I can recall that makes a point of the re-loading issue during the final shootout, but -- as the director discussed in a documentary on the dvd -- even in that film, they weren't concerned with making the re-loading happen every 6 shots either. As I recall on the documentary, I think he said he allowed a max. of 18 shots before they had to re-load!

Generally, the re-loading issue is something that bothers me about Westerns in general  Sad

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »

You're right about that reloading is rarely shown in westerns, whereas in action movies they're reloading all the time. I guess it just takes too much time showing a single action revolver being reloaded compared to an automatic gun.  In the case of FAFDM, i don't think it is that big of a problem, if a problem at all. But I see your point. On the other hand, Sergio more than made up for it with Blondie reloading and putting together the gun in GBU Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »

"I know what you're thinking: did he fire six shots or five..."  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »

I think re-loading is actually more visible in Spaghetti westerns than in US westerns.  GBU had real good scene of Blondie doing cleaning and re-loading of his gun, obviously Tuco didn't check his that often (but I'll bet he cleaned it after the shootout in the bombed out town, to get any soapy water off it. 

Death Rides a Horse includes good scene of re-loading, and noting how much ammo they had.

johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »

The other day I think I spotted another continuity error in the opening of FAFDM, besides the obvios wanted poster. When LVC knocks on the door to calloways hotel room, the calloway fires 4 shots at the door. then LVC kicks the door in, sees that his target is escaping, heads downstairs and shoots the horse and nails calloway in the shoulder. but then calloway draws his gun and fires 5-6 shots at van cleef. when did he reolad??? Smiley
[/quote
If you think thats bad watch Tombstone ....Doc Holliday ....(Gun fight at OK coral scene)] and Open Range Shootout scene at end..Kevin Cosner ...and you will struggle to undestand why they call them six shooters.........Also Gun Fanning whislt looking cool is very impractical as stated by Wyatt Earp ......No doubt Cigar Joe will explain to me the errors of my ways  us and lead me  into the light.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:40:54 AM by johnk » Logged
Huey
Bandido

A whole month!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »

Does Calloway have only the one gun? I seem to remember he wore a shoulder holster.

Where life had no value, death sometimes had its price
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM