Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:54:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El Topo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: El Topo  (Read 16978 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »

I've seen El Topo but I have no idea what the movie's about.  Cheesy

hahahahaha!  Grin Hey, it happens.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

Its surrealistic imagery is a visual feast.   
Unfortunately when compared visually to say Ken Russell's lavishly produced surreal masterpieces El Topo is very low budget junk. Sad  Though of course the mountain of low budget sw's i have are fine because i love the Italian style of westerns.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:29:10 AM by Banjo » Logged
Eric
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »

Unfortunately when compared visually to say Ken Russell's lavishly produced surreal masterpieces El Topo is very low budget junk. Sad

Sounds like you haven't seen Lisztomania....

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 02:24:44 AM »

Errr.....no Undecided

Maybe i was over-egging Russell with the masterpiece comment.Haven't seen everything he's done but i've always loved Tommy and Devils (totally barmy as i recall)was very memorable too.

Eric
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 03:05:33 AM »

Heh. Well, Lisztomania is certainly memorable. About halfway through the movie, Daltrey as Liszt grows a 15-foot-long penis that some women use as a maypole before turning into vampires (with Wagner as the leader) and being shot with ray guns.

Note the phallic imagery on the cover:

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »

Daltrey as Liszt grows a 15-foot-long penis that some women use as a maypole
I vaguely remember reading something about that-lucky lad eh? Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »

The first half is good but once El Topo shaves his head and becomes a street entertainer it gets dull fast.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »

I like Jodorowsky's surrealism dipped into symbolism and mysticism found here in El Topo, but I understand why this is a hard candy for those not familiar with his other works and interests. It tends to get overly abstract in more than one occasion, and lose the strings of its already shaky plot through (supposedly) meditative sequences, a thing that I also don't like very much. I like these things to be in service of the story, not just thrown in randomly. I usually watch it in two or three times, it is hard to digest it all at once, even for me. (Not that I'm some sort of expert, I mean ''me'' as one of those who (somehow) like it. Note the ''somehow'', I think nobody really likes it all the way.) It isn't an entertaining experience nor does quite live to its (Spaghetti)Western reputation, if you come home from work tired in the evening, this is not the best pick to end the day with. So, not really a (S)W, not really a masterpiece in classic sense, and certainly not radical or scandalous as when it was made, but interesting in its own way. Watch it once, you'll live through it, the wings won't fall off your back (if you have faith;)).

Its got some real bizzare other characters, "The Woman of the Hairy Armpits", "The Large Woman", The Woman of the Large Stomache", "The Scarred Woman", "The Fat Woman", "The Small Woman". Its definitely out there on the fringe, lol.

That moment is hilarious! She says to the black guy to do her nails and raises her arm and then... BBBBRRRRRUSSSSSH! The beast from the armpit makes the entrance! I almost fell from the couch! Grin

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:38:50 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM