Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:04:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El Topo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El Topo  (Read 17366 times)
anbeck
Road Apple

Steppenwolf

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:32:29 PM »

Hello,

has anybody here seen the movie El Topo (http://imdb.com/title/tt0067866/)? I've heard it is as if Salvador Dalí, Samuel Beckett and Sergio Leone had made a movie together.

If you have seen it, what do you think of it?

Andre

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 04:36:22 PM »

Saw it in Missoula Montana about 25+ years ago on the big screen. I think what drew me to it was its Spahetti Western looking lobby card.

Well it is very mystical, surrealistic, very Spaghetti Western influenced, rivers of blood-litterally, and very cool until El Topo transforms into a buddist monk then it gets old very very fast. lol.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 04:39:03 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:20:04 PM »

I actually  saw this on the big screen in the 70's  in Missoula Montana, its cool ,very bizzare got an extremely  SW beginning and very symbolic, it evolves into a convoluted mishmash of Mexican Brujo/eastern mystisism, its definitely OUT THERE, lol. Here is just a sample description of it.

"When a man buries a pole in the sand, he automatcally creates a sundial and begins to mark time. To begin marking time is to begin creating a culture"

A pole rises out of the sand El Topo appears dressed entierly in black he carries an open black umbrella. His son Brontis rides behind him except for a hat and moccasins he is naked.

El Topo dismounts and removes from his saddle bag a toy bear and a picture of a woman. The picture is banded in black a symbol of grief.

El Topo "Today you are seven years old. Now you are a man. Bury your first toy and your mother's picture."

The Boy buries the bear but the picture only half way. They ride off under the black umbrella.

Credits appear and run (pictures of moles digging)

Narration: "The mole is an animal that digs tunnels underground searching for the sun. Sometimes his journey leads him to the surface. When he looks at the sun he is blinded."

El Topo and Brontis pass a green tree, sign of the deserts end.

You hear the cries of vultures, we see a circular pool of blood, a body of a child impaled on a stake, as they ride into the village we see disembowled burros, the corpse of a horse painted red, and 100 women dressed in white, brides, raped and murdered. El Topo rides up to a church splashed in blood, in front of it runs a river of blood. El Topo dismounts, carries Brontis over the river and into the church. Inside hanging from the rafters are the 100 bridegrooms.

Outside the church an old man who is butchered drags himself on the ground his guts trailing behind him. The old man begs El Topo to kill him.

El Topo asks "who were they?"

The old man only repeats his plea, El Topo hands his revolver to Brontis who shoots the old man in the heart.

And it goes on and on, even has a character "Double Man" a guy without legs who carries a revolver and a lantern and wears a cowboy hat, who rides upon the back of a guy without arms, and has a confrontation in a circular space a la Leone.

It goes from brutal SW into some wild sort of Buddist transformation tale where El Topo encounters the Four Masters and becomes a bald monk.

Its got some real bizzare other characters, "The Woman of the Hairy Armpits", "The Large Woman", The Woman of the Large Stomache", "The Scarred Woman", "The Fat Woman", "The Small Woman". Its definitely out there on the fringe, lol.

Shot in Mexico directed by Alexandro Jodorowsky this is one SW derivative thats definitely over the top, very very bloody and packed with stomache turning images, not for the faint of heart.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 05:25:30 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:45:23 PM »

just picked up a copy and looking forward to checking it out..

been reading a lot of reviews and sounds like a very interesting film..

also picked up  blueberry..(yeah i know it doesnt have a good rep ont his board) . happen to know of any other sg's with a different style like these? not that i know these are similar in style yet, having not viewed either, but people seem to always bring the other up when reviewing one.

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:34:11 AM »

Sounds pretty wild! I'll have to make it a point to stumble across this one.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 02:37:16 PM »

Thanks Cigar Joe. Ive been meaning to track this down.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »

mmm, el topo, am i right in thinking there hasnt been a mainstream dvd release of this film, which strictly speaking isnt a spaghetti but is mexican. i would love to see this however. apparently u can get it on US VHS.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 04:35:34 PM »

It always tends to get Arthouse releases. Tartan or Artifical Eye did it on video late 80s/90s in the UK.

Few different version on DVD at xploitedcinema.com 
ive been mulling over it for ages.

Ive seen copies on ebay for about a year and a half now from Canada that have the Japanese SPO cover, but with English blurb on the back. can't make if there expensive bootlegs.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 04:12:40 AM »

Its all Mexican with Jodorowsky playing El Topo, if it would have just stayed a SW it would have been kickass and right up there with the best of them and Jodorowsky one of the great SW directors, but you'll see, it's a sort of personal journey/religious transformation flick that kind of looses its way.

But its a good example of how to make a new SW, here Jodorowsky didn't have Almeria or any of the SW actors but he had the iconography down pretty good and Mexico fit the SW genre location look just fine and the freaks and such that made up the extras and actors were great.

I think for anyone to try and reproduce a genuine SW nowadays has to reject (for most of the cast) the usual stock of pretty face actors and almost go for the members of the great unwashed masses. Here is also where post syncronosation dubbing came in handy. They didn't have to be able to act they just had to have the correct look.

PS I haven't seen it for a while but the local Video rental shop "Alternative Video's of Woodstock" (yes that Woodstock)  Grin has "El Topo" on VHS the following film "The Sacred Mountian" on DVD and a third film of his also that I can't remember the name of.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:16:31 AM by cigar joe » Logged

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:54:06 AM »

I saw a Region 0 copy going on ebay for a pricey £25 starting price/£50 buy it now. A bit dear otherwise I would've got it.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »

Was at my local video shop today and low & behold El Topo on DVD, SPO Japan no less, so picked it up and will give it a look-see. They have about 4 or 5 Jodorowsky flicks on the shelves.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »

You proberly don't want to hear this Joe. But if it is the SPO release.
Heard theres been minor edits to nudity. No cuts as such, but some optical censoring to.. ahem.  privates.
One thing Japanese censors are big on.

So well in essense not really bad news. update us your findings.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 04:44:56 AM »

Smoker you were right they fuzz out the nudity, and the film has less impact from what I remember way back when, its more of a mystical journey, with SW overtones, but El Topo does look like an SW character and it does have great location shots and quite the collection of freaks.

One memorable showdown has El Topo against three bandits, all are on horse back, one of the bandits blows up a ballon and throws it on the ground it slowly deflates (this is the timing device for the duel, lol).

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 11:53:52 AM »

Smoker you were right they fuzz out the nudity, and the film has less impact from what I remember way back when, its more of a mystical journey, with SW overtones, but El Topo does look like an SW character and it does have great location shots and quite the collection of freaks.

Do you think its not aged well? Or is it just a case its not as controversal.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 03:08:51 PM »

Its not as contoversal as it might have once been and it doesn't have anywhere near the production values of a Leone film nor memorable lines. It does have what some faint of heart would call disturbing images, its worth a look at any rate.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM