Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:55:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El Topo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El Topo  (Read 17369 times)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »

Managed to see this last weekend.
Found a grey copy (lifted from the Japanese SPO DVD I think) on ebay.
Reminded me of Herzog's 'Aguirre Wrath of God' in that guerilla film making spirit. But with that Zen/60s counter-culture edge, and a mishmash of different religions, sometimes embracing then critizing.
Very playful and funny in places. I Didn't find it slow going as i been warned by friends. It’s not a talky film. The film feels like that opening to OUATITW in essence at times. Cinema stripped down to its sparse raw elements.
But most importantly for me, some of the most striking looking locations I’ve seen in any film. Noticeably the rope bridge sequence. Any mex-western or Zapata film, nevermind its origin would give its right arm for.
Its obvious Jodorowsky (black-clad gunfighter) is getting a huge kick out of playing cowboys in the Mexico landscape behind any art film manifesto. Grin Really good watch this one.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 07:37:00 AM by The Smoker » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 04:25:40 PM »

I saw it 2 or 3 times in the '70's at the theatre, together with the other Jodorowski "Sacred Mountain". I still can't understand why. And it is hard for me to consider it a western at all. 

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 09:06:16 AM »

LOVE it

im a very big surrealism fan and im very much into avant-garde, especially when mixed with western like Jodorowsky did, its great, its no 'spaghetti western' if you ask me, it lacks too much elements to be conciderd that, but hey i like it, its a matter of taste

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 05:34:10 AM »

I agree its something else indeed. That opening sequence is dynamite though, and the suspension bridge set piece sequence later on. Jodorowsky has the iconography down. Goes to show that Mexico probably has infinite locals to shoot western films. You'd think there would be more Mexican Westerns.

El Topo would have made a cool western if it remained in that genre. I still laugh at the deflating baloon (think chiming pocket watch) timer for the one shootout.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »

I agree its something else indeed. That opening sequence is dynamite though, and the suspension bridge set piece sequence later on. Jodorowsky has the iconography down. Goes to show that Mexico probably has infinite locals to shoot western films. You'd think there would be more Mexican Westerns.

El Topo would have made a cool western if it remained in that genre. I still laugh at the deflating baloon (think chiming pocket watch) timer for the one shootout.

And the freak with ladies shoes collection. very novel way of holstering a pair of winchesters on his back in the shape of a XGrin

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »

Rumours about Criterion might be releasing this in 2006 along with Holy Mountain.

HEX
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 01:33:04 PM »

is it only available in full screen?

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 03:24:36 AM »

It was filmed in 4:3.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 07:18:02 AM by The Smoker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »

Just finished watching this midnight movie. Well done indeed.
It's an artsy fartsy film disguised as a strange spaghetti western.
El Topo is a black clad anti-hero that travels the desert with his nude 7 year old son destroying evil beings. Later he ditches his son with some monks and sets off on a journey to defeat the four gun masters of the desert. Each master has his own special technique with a pistol which El Topo must  outwit or trick to win.

The second half of the film (about an hour and 12 minutes in) we find El Topo underground in a cavern  with deformed cave dwellers. The dwellers ask El Topo to dig a tunnel (hence the title "the mole") out of the cave so they may be able to see the light again, El Topo heads out of the cave and into a town where he peddles street entertainment for money in order to buy dynamite to blast a hole in the side of the cave.

The second half is not as entertaining as the first spaghettish half but it managed to keep me interested until the film's bloody conclusion.

of interesting note there is showdown in the beginning of the film that pits El Topo against three bandits. One of the bandits inflates a balloon then let's it go, when the balloon fully deflates that's when the participants of the gundown begin shooting.
There is also loads of gore like castration, cut throats, embalmed animals etc. etc.

I urge all who are interested in spaghetti westerns or film in general to view this.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:17:50 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 01:48:36 AM »

oh damn! sorry Joe...my topic should be moved.

It's all right. We value your view as well. I enjoyed reading it actually. No need to be removed. I'm glad you finally saw it.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:50:42 AM by Sanjuro » Logged

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »

anyone else seen it?

"El Topo is Jodorowsky’s unique spiritual western, which takes on the ritual violence of Sam Peckinpah and the grotesque humour of Sergio Leone to roughly sketch an apology on the oppression and arrogance of power. This film is a journey through tragedy and anarchy, myth and revolution, paganism and holy scripture, classicism and surrealism, artistic performance and cinematic action. El Topo remains an essential, raw work of instinctive, visceral power created by one of the most visionary filmmakers in cinematic history."

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 01:52:38 PM »

Saw it. Like CJ says...the first half is awesome but then when El Topo shaves his head and plays the town clown it gets boring.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »

would I be wasting my time looking for it? btw, the cover on imdb is very reminiscent of tuco in the desert.

also, have you the holy mountain? made by the same dude, sounds trippy as hell  Shocked

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »

also, have you the holy mountain? made by the same dude, sounds trippy as hell  Shocked

No I haven't. El Topo is damn trippy.
I don't think you'll waste your time watching it. It should be viewed at least once.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 05:05:49 PM »

i enjoyed el topo quite a bit, even the 2nd half.

a few el topo factoids: john lennon bought the rights to the movie, and released it in the US

the soundtrack, i believe, was released on Apple.. the label with all the beatles albums

i've heard this was the first ever "midnight movie"

if you need some help tracking it down, send me a message

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM