Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 08:52:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pesci on the cutting room floor!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pesci on the cutting room floor!  (Read 11684 times)
threedusters
Road Apple

sons of bitch's though!

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2004, 08:38:01 PM »

Hi, why o why is Joe Pesci third in the credit's of a 4 hour movie, and only in "2" scenes!.  Did THAT much of the movie get stripped by the studio's, and is there a whole lot of plot that we never did see, involving Pesci?.  Your thoughts would be appreciated as i am a monster of a fan of the OUTIA+W, and have constantly wondered what we missed on every viewing of these masterpeices.

"You  bring a horse for me?,  "well, looks like...................looks like  where shy one horse!.  "You brought two too many"
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 02:35:03 AM »

somewhere ive seen him credited fourth behind De Niro, Woods, McGovern

sometimes sixth behind De Niro, Woods, McGovern, Williams, Weld and Young

but never third...i can only hazard a guess that it is following his great performance in Raging Bull

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 06:09:02 AM »

I've never heard of any extra Pesci scenes, but there might be something about it Christopher Fraylings bible. I'll have a look as soon as I get the chance.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:57:55 AM »

Also, drunks, thugs and the woman in the coffin get cedited higher than Jennifer Connelly. She gets quite an unbelievable fifty-third billing on IMDB! Where's the justice??
I did hear somewhere that there were some Treat Williams scenes on the cutting room floor but not of Joe Pesci

"What's a Mook?"
DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:40:32 PM »

Pesci's role is a bit underplayed..the scene where he is walking towards the elevator and sees Max and Noodles exiting the other elevator...you can hardly recognise that its him.

alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 03:39:12 PM »

i disagree, first of all you can clearly see that it's pesci.
as far as him being cut, i doubt it. if you really think about it, this is not a gangster film, it's a film about friendship, love and betrayal. i think that having more scenes with pesci wouldn't have been needed. but whatever number he gets in the titles, is probably due to him being a great and famous actor.

Il Tramonto
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:54:22 AM »

Pesci's role is a bit underplayed..the scene where he is walking towards the elevator and sees Max and Noodles exiting the other elevator...you can hardly recognise that its him.

I always wondered what the significance of that scene was. We believe Pesci to be dead earlier when he was shot in the room full of feathers, so when he walks by Max and Noodles he is obviously thinking of revenge, right? I bet there were more scenes that help to explain this on the cutting room floor, but for some reason never made it in the full version.

Thosefalsenotes
Road Apple

Watch me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 07:37:35 PM »

That was Pesci in the room with the feathers? I didn't know that Pesci was in the car at all. In fact, I had always assumed that he had been behind that betrayal (the one involving the diamonds of course, not Noodles' "betrayal" of Max) in the first place, and his appearing later at the hospital was meant to signify that Max was under his thumb (and that the union guy would be soon enough).

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:39:31 PM by Thosefalsenotes » Logged
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:24:03 AM »

No that wasn't Pesci in the feathers. The "under his thumb"-interpretation is what I am thinking too. And his presence in the hall is like some kind of shadow moving in - some bad omen. Just as Max and Noodles made up from the quarrel upstairs.

DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 04:11:12 PM »

Well its Pesci who sets up the killing of his brother Joe in the car at the feather factory...its a syndicate double cross using Max and Noodles et al to do the killing...thats pretty clear.

Joe , played by Burt Young(who gets the bullet in the eye ) also appears high up in the billing. Not that it really matters !

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

I've always thought there were more scenes of Pesci left out. His character is never quite devoloped properly.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »

Both sub plots on the mob and politics aren't as prominent as they should be. I don't have Frayling's book, but I've read on the internet that Leone wanted more with them. With originally eight hours of footage, how can't there be some extra scenes with him?

To all newbies: do you feel included? 'Cause if you don't come play The Sergio Leone Elimination Game! Just go up to General Info. Then go to General Discussion. When you're there look down at the subect list. Keep on looking... it's there! All members are encouraged to participate!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »

Both sub plots on the mob and politics aren't as prominent as they should be. I don't have Frayling's book, but I've read on the internet that Leone wanted more with them. With originally eight hours of footage, how can't there be some extra scenes with him?

To all newbies: do you feel included? 'Cause if you don't come play The Sergio Leone Elimination Game! Just go up to General Info. Then go to General Discussion. When you're there look down at the subect list. Keep on looking... it's there! All members are encouraged to participate!

I have no doubts there was more footage of Pesci shot. That scene of Pesci looking on at Noodles and Max just doesn't fit. That's the last time we see him. It looks from there that something more will develop with his character but it never does.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »

I read in Leone's biography that Joe Pesci originally wanted to play Max or Noodles but the parts were taken, so Leone offered Joe Pesci any role he wanted and he chose Frankie Minaldi. In the original script that Pesci saw, Frankie had a much much bigger role.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »

I read in Leone's biography that Joe Pesci originally wanted to play Max or Noodles but the parts were taken, so Leone offered Joe Pesci any role he wanted and he chose Frankie Minaldi. In the original script that Pesci saw, Frankie had a much much bigger role.

Yup, I read the same thing. It's to bad because in the short time he was in the film, I thought he was great. Leone didn't see Pesci quite right for the part of Max. I dunno, in my opinion I think he could have pulled it off. James Woods was brilliant none the less so I'm happy he got the part.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM