Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:42:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sergio Leone's Leningrad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sergio Leone's Leningrad  (Read 23709 times)
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »

Is there any news on this film what so ever? All I know is Giuseppe Tornatore is slated to direct and Ennio Morricone is supposedly writing the score but that was from wikipedia.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »

I was just watching the interview with Robert Hossein on the German "Cemetery Without Crosses" DVD. He mentions that not only did he miss out on starring in "Once Upon a Time in the West" due to prior commitments, but that just before his death Leone had also asked him to direct the 2nd unit for the battle sequences in Leningrad. It's painful enough thinking about what Leone could have achieved with this had he lived a little longer, but then knowing that Hossein might have been second unit director is almost too much for me! All I can say is the pressure is really on Tornatore to come up big with this one. Speaking of which, maybe he should give Hossein a call...  

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »

I don't think the film is ever going to be made. At least not by Giuseppe Tornatore.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432314/

I think someone has beat him to it. I am not sure if this is the story by Leone, but it is a film about Lenningrad with one or two American characters.

It's a shame because I thought he was going to do it right after Baaria, but it seems he is working on a project for a Burmese nobel prize winner entitled "The Lady"

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:53:46 AM »

I don't think that film has anything to do with Tornatore's project. I hadn't heard about him making "The Lady" before and I too had thought that after Baaria, Leningrad was to be his next thing. Tornatore has been associated with it for so many years now that it would be a shame if it were never made.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:16:38 AM by Novecento » Logged
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

There's an article about it here.

http://www.filmwad.com/tornatore-makes-english-film-about-a-burmese-i-lady-i--5698-p.html

I haven't seen any news regarding Tornatore and Leningrad dating passed 2003. Avid Arad and Naofumi Okamoto wanted him for this film, and this will be his first english languaged film since The Legend of 1900. Maybe if he does well, he'll get Hollywood money for Leningrad. They pay more than Medusa and the French.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. It's a relatively old post from January 2008 and apparently shooting was supposed to have begun later that year.

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

In the Lady?

Looks like Leningrad is out in theaters in Russia. Not sure if this was Leone's story.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 05:58:05 AM »

I don't think the film is ever going to be made. At least not by Giuseppe Tornatore.

Have read a few sources now stating that Tornatore is still planning to make this happen.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

I was just reading in Bondanella's 2009 edition of his "A History of Italian Cinema" that Tornatore has been working on Leningrad for nearly a decade and that he is still planning to make it at some point!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »

nice to know Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »

It would seem that Leone's projected Battle in Leningrad from WWII will make it to the screen. Tornatore and Morricone are on board  for this 2012 release. Al Pacino?

It says pre-production so this project is likely to evolve.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370877/

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:40:22 PM by SeanSeanSean » Logged

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »

It's IMDb, so the accuracy is highly questionable. Especially when there are no news articles linked to that page. But on the other hand, a quick googling gives a bunch of Italian articles that seem interesting (I don't speak Italian) and IMDb's accuracy tends to be higher with projects where there are big names like Pacino involved.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:06:36 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1075.0

That we're still waiting after eight years of rumors isn't good a sign.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 05:09:01 AM »

It's IMDb, so the accuracy is highly questionable. Especially when there are no news articles linked to that page. But on the other hand, a quick googling gives a bunch of Italian articles that seem interesting (I don't speak Italian) and IMDb's accuracy tends to be higher with projects where there are big names like Pacino involved.
Uhmm, I can smell a dead (IMDB) rat.
Script by Sergio Leone?Huh There was no script for this movie!!! Sergio had everything in his mind (see Frayling and also interviews with his daughter Francesca).
Sergio managed to get the russians to agree to the movie (and to several thousand red army extras) by simply describing the opening scene, which indeed would have been something very special and which would have made it straight to the Oscar.
I have translated some time ago the interview with Claudio Mancini which I have found on youtube and here is what he said about this famous opening scene which I'm afraid nobody will ever be able to film:

There was a lot of talk about Leningrad. Sergio had a lot of things in his mind, but almost nothing in writing, but he would describe what would have been the opening scene.
It showed a theater where an orchestra was rehearsing. The rehearsal finishes and a man puts his instrument back in its case.
He leaves the theater, the camera backtracking in front of him, that's important.
He starts walking in the street and you can see a devastated city, buildings gutted by bombs etc.
A tram passes by and the man catches it. He sees the ruins from the tram which is now moving.
All this without a single cut: how Sergio intended to do this, I really don't know.
The tram arrives at the end station, the man leaves and walks 100 meters to a small house; he enters and there is a woman.
While they embrace, the camera turns and you see a window, then a river and across the river 1.500 german panzers in position.
I said: "Sergio, you wouldn't be able to frame 1.500 panzers not even if they were small cardboard models! On screen you could probably frame 150!" But he envisioned 1.500!"

Can you imagine, the whole sequence approx. 20 minutes without a cut! Only Sergio could have done it!
As for the news about Tornatore, it seems to be confirmed in press articles released here in Italy a month ago. Filming is supposed to start in 2012; but since I have heard this before, I'll believe it when I see it... Wink

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:10:41 AM by Leonardo » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »

As for the news about Tornatore, it seems to be confirmed in press articles released here in Italy a month ago. Filming is supposed to start in 2012; but since I have heard this before, I'll believe it when I see it... Wink

Well here are some of the press releases which do confirm that it is still on Tornatore's mind:

http://www.filmforlife.org/scheda_film.php?id=804

http://www.ilcinemaniaco.com/giuseppe-tornatore-dirigera-leningrad-stefano-accorsi-versus-franco-nero-ne-langelo-il-bruto-e-il-saggio/

http://www.cinezapping.com/2011/02/27/giuseppe-tornatore-per-il-kolossal-leningrad/

I'm fairly confident that we will see it eventually, although it will no doubt be delayed. Personally I'm really happy because I can't think of  a better living director to pay tribute to Leone and I'm happy to wait for that.

Tornatore has already proved himself capable of adopting Leone's style to his own work in "The Legend of the Pianist on the Ocean".

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:15:06 PM by Novecento » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM