Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 10:43:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sergio Leone's Leningrad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sergio Leone's Leningrad  (Read 23704 times)
klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

Italian Filmmaker Has 'Leningrad' In Sights

Oscar-winning Italian director Giuseppe Tornatore is hard at work on the script of "Leningrad," an English-language historical epic depicting the Nazi siege of the Russian revolution's birthplace during WWII, the movie's producer revealed Thursday.

Breaking the wall of silence that has encircled the project since its announcement at the Festival de Cannes last month, the movie's Italian backer Medusa Film said it expected Tornatore to complete the script by the end of this year. "The 900-day German assault on this major Soviet city, now known as St. Petersburg, has become memorable because Hitler thought it would be quickly reduced to rubble.

But in the end the Nazis were forced to retreat," managing director Gianpaolo Letta said. "It is a key WWII episode never seen before on Western movie screens," he added. The Medusa chief described "Leningrad" as a big-budget epic that would have an A-list international cast.

Talks are ongoing with a number of potential production partners. Medusa -- which is owned by Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi -- co- produced with Miramax Tornatore's latest work, the erotic period piece "Malena," which launched Monica Bellucci's international career. Tornatore's "Cinema Paradiso" won the 1990 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film.

I heared Leone's post-OUTIA project supposed to be something like this. I'm not sure Tornatore was inspired by Leone's idea but sounds like there's something to do with it.
Ennio Morricone is also joined as music composer.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 03:53:23 AM by klaatu » Logged
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:44:39 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370877/

Look who's doing the music Wink

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »

This has probably already been announced, but it seems that director Giuseppe Tornatore (Malena, Cinema Paradiso) is involved in a project about the siege of Leningrad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370877/

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »

That is quite interesting. I wonder if the story is really related to Leone's idea.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »

That is quite interesting. I wonder if the story is really related to Leone's idea.

That be cool if they used some of Sergio's ideas.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »

I wonder if Ennio Morricone had any music that he was working on for the Leone Leningrad movie that he might use in the Tornatore movie, because I'm almost sure Morricone will write the music as he's done with pretty much all of Tornatore's films.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »

Ennio has announced that he will compose the score.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »

Nicole Kidman is rumored to have a part, or at least Tornatore wants her. But just a rumor, and I don't know how old...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »

Just imagine how many more Masterpieces Leone would have directed if he wasn't taken from us so young. This project was sure to be one of them.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Leonegeek
Chicken Thief

Leone is god

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:52:54 AM »

Just imagine how many more Masterpieces Leone would have directed if he wasn't taken from us so young. This project was sure to be one of them.

I think about it all the time -  but not the quantity so much as the quality of whatever he did.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »

In the new Leone Anthology Sergio Donati mentions this regretfully that in about a span of 20 years Leone made 2 films, He was trying to convince him during that time to make a small budget Noir, but Leone only wanted to make epics.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »

In the new Leone Anthology Sergio Donati mentions this regretfully that in about a span of 20 years Leone made 2 films, He was trying to convince him during that time to make a small budget Noir, but Leone only wanted to make epics.

Yeah, I seen this cigar. I wish Leone would have agreed to do a small budget Noir. That could have been something! Sergio Donati was not lying when he said Leone only wanted to make epics. Each one of his films got bigger in budget as they went on.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 06:54:47 AM »

Leone produced a lot of films between DYS and OUATIA, so it's not like he was just sitting on his ass doing nothing that time.  Roll Eyes

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »

Leone produced a lot of films between DYS and OUATIA, so it's not like he was just sitting on his ass doing nothing that time.

True but we only got two Leone films in 20 years!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 05:06:27 PM »

Exactly, CJ.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM